Off to Asia - have I forgotten anything?

Oso

Link Posted 14/11/2011 - 13:03
If you are in that part of the world, the Singapore Dollar is the strongest currency in South East Asia, from what I understand, Singaporeans normally do their shopping in Johor Bahru, Malaysia so shopping in Kuala Lumpur and Bangkok will be worth looking at.However remember there are a lot of fly by night shops.
Have a pleasant trip, Regards
Oso

milamber

Link Posted 14/11/2011 - 13:12
Thanks - though the chances of me being having any money spare to spend on camera gear are fairly slim
Last Edited by milamber on 14/11/2011 - 13:14

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 14/11/2011 - 14:17
You might want to consider a WR lens. The 18-55 can be had cheap, unboxed from SRS. If your backpack does not have a built-in rain cover then you should buy one from an outdoors shop, just in case.

A tripod is useful in rural areas, less so in crowded cities, but I´d recommend one, especially if you´re going with someone else & want photos together.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

doingthebobs

Link Posted 14/11/2011 - 16:07
I'd go with the Bean bag myself. Polystyrene filled ones weigh very little or just take some empty suitable bags and fill up when you get there (beans, rice, gravel etc). It will stand on top of anything that is available (walls, vehicles, bags, rucksack, wife's shoulder) and will work better than most lightweight tripods.

Take the credit card. You can buy the bargain ltd's and worry about the paying for it after!
Bob

doingthebobs

Link Posted 14/11/2011 - 16:11
Just thought, Dry bags like these link will keep stuff waterproofed and could be used for bean bags as well.
Bob
Last Edited by doingthebobs on 14/11/2011 - 16:11

Joe S

Link Posted 14/11/2011 - 16:19
Photography is generally not cheap in that part of the world but actually you can find cheap tripods and other accessories - if you go with the Chinese copy stuff it can be dirt cheap. Few bargains in Singapore, but malls dedicated to electronics so one of those rare places where you can actually find a wide assortment of Pentax lenses and goodies!
Hi. My name is Joel and I'm a travelholic.
Stolen kit: Pentax K7 #3428965 and Pentax FA 43mm #0028350

milamber

Link Posted 14/11/2011 - 17:22
Cheers again for all the helpful suggestions.

Unfortunately as the K-r itself isn't weatherproof a WR lens won't be much help. I do have waterproof covers for both the backpack and holster, but the rainy season should be more or less gone by then (though Bangkok might need a wetsuit).

I've gone with a beanbag for now. I'll see how it goes and learn for next time. I was going to get a travel pillow anyway.....

Sadly past the stage where I used to buy things with the CC and worry later - I'm boringly responsible now.

CoDa

Link Posted 14/11/2011 - 17:45
How about a Trekpod Pro, it has a small tripod as well.
Colin

“Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little.”
Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)

milamber

Link Posted 14/11/2011 - 19:00
Thanks - haven't seen one of those before - might be worth a look

matwhittington

Link Posted 14/11/2011 - 20:16
For travelling I use a Velbon Luxi and like it very much. As long as you're not using some huge weighty lens it preforms pretty well and packs down very small and light. Simonkit was selling one yesterday (link) although i think it is now sold... I The only other thing I would take (although it depends what you think you might be photographing) is a couple of ND filters (including a 'big stopper') and a remote control (although these things would be less useful if you don't have the tripod (or similar) as well...

Regards
Mat W

My Flickr: link

milamber

Link Posted 14/11/2011 - 21:19
I've been toying with buying a ND filter and following the recent threads on their use. It might be a step too far for this trip seeing as I'm only now getting back into SLR photography and have plenty else to learn, but I might just get one before I go. Bound to need one if I don't.

I do have a remote control - it's actually a tiny Sony remote for my MP3 player, but I read somewhere that most Sony controls work with Pentax cameras and it works perfectly.

Thanks for the Velbon advice too - I'll take a look.

jpoke

Link Posted 14/11/2011 - 21:47
I would just bring what you normally bring on all your other trips.. Depending on where you go you might need special things... But I personally don't like to bring loads of stuff, just taking the necessary things..
Home Cleaning
Play Cool Games

Oso

Link Posted 15/11/2011 - 10:16
Hi
The temperature in South East Asia is in the upper 20s to low 30s and humidity is 90% so lugging a lot of equipment is something to think about.
Cannot remember exactly the period of rainy season, but I beleive it falls towards the end of the year. When it rains, if you are in the open within one minute you will be completely soaked like having a shower.
Just my 2 cents worth, one camera with an appropriate zoom and a plastic bag in case it rains.
If you have sufficient time to wander about in Singapore and interested in 2nd hand and old cameras just to look, go to The Adelphi, No.1 Coleman Street, the lowest basement. Nothing fantastic but if they are still there, 2 shops dealing with old cameras. Regards
Oso

milamber

Link Posted 15/11/2011 - 10:40
Oso wrote:
Hi
The temperature in South East Asia is in the upper 20s to low 30s and humidity is 90% so lugging a lot of equipment is something to think about.
Cannot remember exactly the period of rainy season, but I beleive it falls towards the end of the year. When it rains, if you are in the open within one minute you will be completely soaked like having a shower.
Just my 2 cents worth, one camera with an appropriate zoom and a plastic bag in case it rains.
If you have sufficient time to wander about in Singapore and interested in 2nd hand and old cameras just to look, go to The Adelphi, No.1 Coleman Street, the lowest basement. Nothing fantastic but if they are still there, 2 shops dealing with old cameras. Regards
Oso

Thanks.

From what I have read the rainy season has ended in India where we start, but there might still be a risk of rain in Thailand/Malaysia towards the end of the trip. I have rain covers for both bags so should be o.k. I don't care if I get wet - might cool us down a bit.

That, along with the dust, is the main reason for taking the 18-250mm so I don't have to keep swapping lenses and can have the camera to hand and ready to use whenever I need it.

I doubt I'll be allowed away from the cheap silk etc in the market, but I'll take a look for the shops you mention.

A small tip for travel in hot climates in exchange for all the help. Look up a product called a 'Cobber', basically a small neck scarf filled with crystals/gel. I won't go into detail about the use here and don't know if I can include a link to a non-photo product, but they are superb and every bit as good as they say. We have used them extensively in hot cities through to rain forests. That is the one single item I wouldn't travel to a hot country without.
Last Edited by milamber on 15/11/2011 - 10:50

RayB

Link Posted 15/11/2011 - 12:38
Having not long got back from six weeks on the same continent, the only thing I can think of that you "might" want is a remote release.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.