Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Off Camera flash K-1

stub
Posted 03/06/2016 - 17:36 Link
Just a quick question with the regard to off camera flash. I have a Pentax K5ii and a af540fgz. I can use the flash gun off camera in TTL mode. By triggering the unit with the K5ii's pop up flash. I'm thinking of upgrading my camera as I want more mega pixels so I can enjoy better crops. Hopefully. But as the K3ii or the K1 dont posses a pop up flash. How is the remote flash unit triggered ? Do I have to purchase another flash gun ? If so which one. I'm not aware of any TTL triggers on the market. As Yet. Or just shoot with manual flash guns ? I'm puzzled.....
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..
McGregNi
Posted 03/06/2016 - 18:26 Link
A widespread dilemma for many at present ...

Forget the small Pentax AF201, or the Metz AF-26 (1or2) ... None of these function as an on-camera P-TTL 'wireless trigger.

For full Pentax 'wireless functioning you need another full featured 'Dedicated System Flash' . Personally I think its well worth it as you gain more overall control and more efficient access to settings, especially with the new Pentax AF-360/540II models.

I can't comment on other third party options for this (eg Sigma /Metz) but I'm sure other members will be able to advise.

Otherwise you go to a radio manual system (eg Cactus / Yongnuo), or a radio P-TTL system (Acon is the one I've heard of, but reports on reliability are mixed I think). The Cactus system allows you to use your Pentax flash manually as well.

I invite you to download my 'Pentax Flash Guide' from the link below my post. ... It has a section near the start discussing many of the considerations and pros/cons of the different system types.

If you tell us something about how you see yourself using off-camera flash then that would help others to give more specific suggestions ..
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Edited by McGregNi: 03/06/2016 - 18:29
smudge
Posted 03/06/2016 - 18:53 Link
Depending on your intended use you could use one of these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251501046141?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=S...

Or these
http://www.crookedimaging.co.uk/lastosyncpen01-lastolite-straight-ttl-sync-flash...

I prefer the straight Lastolite cable myself but not many places seem to stock it.
Regards, Philip
Mag07
Posted 03/06/2016 - 19:12 Link
I am a 'flash nub', however, McGregNi guides have been a fantastic resource and I have been experimenting. This https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007CTHTEC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=U... together with a Metz 52 and
K3 II works like a charm. The only thing is, this little trigger unit goes through batteries like there is no tomorrow - so ended up investing in a better charger to deal with that issue. Still, considering the price; fantastic.
'Photography...it remembers little things, long after you have forgotten....' (Aaron Siskind)
stub
Posted 05/06/2016 - 09:02 Link
Ah, Thanks for the replies. As I suspected... No real trigger options. Let's hope the K-1 really takes off and the Yongnuo and Godox's of this world start to support our products.. Till then I'll just stick with a manual system..
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..
NaimKhan
Posted 27/07/2016 - 14:30 Link
Mag07 wrote:
I am a 'flash nub', however, McGregNi guides have been a fantastic resource and I have been experimenting. This https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007CTHTEC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=U... together with a Metz 52 and
K3 II works like a charm. The only thing is, this little trigger unit goes through batteries like there is no tomorrow - so ended up investing in a better charger to deal with that issue. Still, considering the price; fantastic.

Mag07 - does this thing work with fully automatic flash or do you have to set the flash unit to manual settings? I am not very confident with manully setting up my flash and have always used in the auto mode so will use this only if I can continue to use auto mode.
Thanks.
PPG
NaimKhan
Posted 27/07/2016 - 15:20 Link
Mag07 wrote:

Mag07 - does this thing work with fully automatic flash or do you have to set the flash unit to manual settings? I am not very confident with manully setting up my flash and have always used in the auto mode so will use this only if I can continue to use auto mode.
Thanks.
PPG
Mag07
Posted 28/07/2016 - 19:39 Link
I only ever used it with flash in manual mode as an auto, it tends to overexpose quite a bit. Currently on holidays so can't check but happy to test when I get back home in 10 days.
'Photography...it remembers little things, long after you have forgotten....' (Aaron Siskind)
Blythman
Posted 28/07/2016 - 19:57 Link
If going to the bother of moving the flash off camera, then may as well use manual too with a basic trigger. Doesn't take much experimenting to get the exposure right. Then once you have the output for a given distance, aperture and ISO it remains constant.
Alan

PPG
Flickr
McGregNi
Posted 28/07/2016 - 20:31 Link
Things have sure changed now with digital, since the days when a flash meter, tape measure and casio calculator might have been in the camera bag !

The consequences of getting bad flash exposures are not nearly as costly as it would have been on film. I agree Alan that a quick mental reckoning to start, a test shot, and a quick bit of chimping, can get it spot on fairly quickly.

I do feel though that there is a place for both manual and automatic flash, even off-camera. It should probably depend on the nature of the situation and its fluidity I feel .... a static and very controllable scene would suit manual well, while a more dynamic situation (eg moving subject, changing lighting, or when you need to be very quick) would suit wireless P-TTL more.

If your ambient lighting is demanding a jump into and out of HSS mode, then thats another case for wireless P-TTL also.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Blythman
Posted 28/07/2016 - 20:40 Link
Horses for course Nigel. But generally I use P-TTL if the flash is on the camera. Unless the sun is in the shot.

When off camera I tend to use a manual flash. A Godox 360. I can make the adjustments to the flash power very quickly via the transmitter sitting in my hotshoe.
Alan

PPG
Flickr
McGregNi
Posted 28/07/2016 - 20:50 Link
Yeah, sure ... I agree completely that P-TTL makes more sense on-camera. I'm constantly amazed at requests for advice from beginners who want to start out with the cheapest flash possible, and expect to start out managing their camera exposures plus manual flash settings when moving around at an event and bouncing the flash off constantly changing surfaces!!

However, I do see strong cases for off-camera P-TTL, not the least the HSS situation I mentioned, when ambient light can often be changing (sun in and out from behind clouds for example). The manual disadvantage here is the need to also adjust manual flash power for every distance PLUS shutter speed change .... P-TTL avoids this, and these two variables are often fluid in HSS situations.

Likewise in non-HSS working, P-TTL can hold a flash exposure when you need to move a subject a little, or experiment with bringing a flash closer or further away, or make aperture and ISO adjustments for various reasons. As you say, Horses for Courses.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.