Off camera flash

Mannesty

Link Posted 28/03/2013 - 12:34
MarkTaylor wrote:
Using option 2 the built-in flash fires to trigger the external flash, but is timed to go off before the shutter curtain opens so it has no effect on your exposure.

The above is not true I'm afraid.

When the onboard flash is set to act as Controller (not Master), the shutter is open before the onboard flash fires (as Controller) to trigger the off-camera flash, so it will contribute a small amount of light to the scene.

This can be easily proved by firing off a shot into a mirror, you'll see the onboard flash in the resulting image.

A simple solution has already been noted by Don, move further away from your subject. Alternatively as has already been stated, radio triggers are necessary to completely eliminate the onboard flash.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream
Last Edited by Mannesty on 28/03/2013 - 12:35

MarkTaylor

Link Posted 28/03/2013 - 13:49
Mannesty wrote:
MarkTaylor wrote:
Using option 2 the built-in flash fires to trigger the external flash, but is timed to go off before the shutter curtain opens so it has no effect on your exposure.

The above is not true I'm afraid.

When the onboard flash is set to act as Controller (not Master), the shutter is open before the onboard flash fires (as Controller) to trigger the off-camera flash, so it will contribute a small amount of light to the scene.

This can be easily proved by firing off a shot into a mirror, you'll see the onboard flash in the resulting image.

A simple solution has already been noted by Don, move further away from your subject. Alternatively as has already been stated, radio triggers are necessary to completely eliminate the onboard flash.

Well I have never noticed any obvious effect on my photos using this method, but then I'm usually taking the shot from at least twice as far away from the subject as the external flash and not photographing highly reflective subjects.

If it's more than an opportunistic scenario where I have just gotten the flash out on the spur of the moment I will generally take the time to set up the radio triggers. To be fair Cactus v5s are quite affordable and in my experience, completely reliable. You do lose the benefits of P-TTL but assuming you want to do something as least vaguely creative, gaining full control over the power output of your flash by using it in manual mode more than makes up for this.
My Flickr Pentax K-5 K-5 II Sigma 8-16mm F/4.5-5.6 DC HSM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD ASL SMC Pentax-DA* 50-135mm F/2.8 ED [IF] SDM SMC Pentax-DA 55-300mm F/4-5.8 ED SMC Pentax-DA 18-135mm F/3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] WR Vivitar 100mm F/3.5 Macro AF Metz Mecablitz 58 AF-2
Last Edited by MarkTaylor on 28/03/2013 - 13:58

DaveHolmes

Link Posted 28/03/2013 - 16:11
I'm still on V4's (although I only have one receiver now due to 'droppage') and find them pretty reliable. Had one issue when I first got them when shooting outside but swapping the batteries for AAA-Eneloops solved the problem
Digital:
Pentax K5- Vivitar 19mm 3.8; FA35mm f2; D-Xenon 100mm macro f2.8; DA50-200mm WR...
Flash:
Yongnuo YN-560; Vivitar 285HV; Cactus V4 triggers...
Film:
Pentax-MX & M50mm f1.4; Spottie & 55mm f1.8; MG & M40mm 2.8...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/daveholmesphotos/

SkilakDeZoo

Link Posted 10/04/2013 - 22:58
Hi Guys,

Maybe you can help. I have K-5 and Nikon SB-700 set as a slave on remote mode and is fired by the on-board flash. I have tried every possible setting and each time the off camera flash fires too early as the on-board flash does the pre-flash. So, in result I have a picture with the light from the on-board flash. Do you know how to turn off the pre-flash???

Thanks in advance.
Last Edited by SkilakDeZoo on 10/04/2013 - 23:01

doingthebobs

Link Posted 10/04/2013 - 23:08
Sounds like you are using a Nikon dedicated flash with a Pentax camera.What you need is a Pentax dedicated flash that uses PTTL, the system found on Pentax cameras.

The different camera makers have two different ways to work their flashguns, that's why they are dedicated.
Bob

Mannesty

Link Posted 10/04/2013 - 23:18
SkilakDeZoo wrote:
Do you know how to turn off the pre-flash???

Use a manual lens (M42, K or M series) on the camera, or put a basic flash set to a very low power on the camera hot-shoe, otherwise you can't turn off the pre-flash.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream
Last Edited by Mannesty on 10/04/2013 - 23:25

Mannesty

Link Posted 11/04/2013 - 08:24
In my previous post, I forgot to suggest using a radio trigger, which is probably the best solution to your Pentax Camera/Nikon Flash problem.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.