Not likely to make a new Pentax purchase this weekend. No Special offers !!!

johnriley

Link Posted 12/06/2018 - 16:18
I think there are still a few things I could spend my money on. The new 70-200mm f/4 will be a strong contender when it arrives, and maybe the new 50mm f/1.4 if it proves to be Zeiss quality as suggested.

Existing things that are outstanding include the Q 08 wide angle zoom, but 399 is too much for me. I'd snap it up at 150 but not a penny more than that.

Other than those, there will be other things I want, but there are very few that I need.
Best regards, John

johnha

Link Posted 12/06/2018 - 23:55
I've been looking seriously at the K-1 for a while, I have a good set of FA primes ready & waiting, I've even held it a couple of times, but it hasn't sung to me like all my other Pentax's have. The problem is the very high cost for a 35mm SLR and a lack of transparency on pricing*. I've shot a huge variety of medium format film gear, and I feel short-changed spending that much on a K-1 after experiencing medium format. My P6x7 outfit (2 bodies & 5 lenses) has cost similar to K-1 money, there's no question for me, the P6x7 wins every time.

The prices of some of the lenses (even 'bread n butter' types like the 28-105) is simply eye-watering - I'm sure it's good kit, but I'd easily prefer a used FA PZ 28-105 for a tenth the price. I can easily live with screen-drive AF and any optical differences are likely to be hard to spot. If you're new to Pentax and wanting a 'basic' kit of K-1, grip & 28-105 you're looking around the 2500 mark - why would you even contemplate switching from CaNikon?

* As has been mentioned in this thread, all prices seem to be the same and all of a sudden, it's 100 cheaper (bad luck if you bought one the day before). The Special Edition K-1 & grip (supposedly on limited supply) was for a long period, cheaper than the standard one with a grip (perhaps the fact it looked like an MZ-5n put people off).
PPG Flickr

Liney

Link Posted 02/07/2018 - 12:03
Over the years I've upgraded Pentax bodies so that I now have three, and also picked up a number of lenses which are now (more or less) compatible with all three bodies. I've got a number of colleagues who have Nikon and Canon cameras, who can pick up new bodies or lenses from local shops while I'm restricted to one or two online international suppliers.

If I was starting again from scratch with no previous knowledge of manufacturers, it would be easy to fall into the "starter kit" trap and pick up a Canikon kit, and once you start on a manufacturer it gets expensive to change.

When I started Pentax was more widely advertised, in fact my first body kit was purchased from a high street shop in a small town, the sort of shop that won't touch Pentax any more.

Other manufacturers want to bulk sell to people who think they need a digital SLR, but will probably never use half the features that it has (although I personally reckon that with the rise in mobile phones and tablets with cameras the number of Canon and Nikon buyers may have dropped).

With Pentax I think the majority of the buyers are serious amateurs, who do their research and read the reviews and pick the body that gives the best features that they want.

So the question is, do you want quality equipment or do you want to save money?

JuliusN

Link Posted 04/07/2018 - 14:00
Check the latest news regarding the processor. You may find something interesting although you didn't receive anything. As mentioned above, curry's offer is something I wil check out myself once I have some time this week. Go for it!
The old way of enjoying pictures.
Market Inspector

Aitch53

Link Posted 04/07/2018 - 15:38
Liney wrote:

With Pentax I think the majority of the buyers are serious amateurs, who do their research and read the reviews and pick the body that gives the best features that they want.

The problem is, the chances are that by the time they become serious, they will have built up a certain amount of kit. Replacing it all with a new make will not be cheap, especially as you won't get much for used gear.

So the research they do will be mainly among the range they are already using.

They may talk to people at a camera club, who are unlikely to be Pentax users.

And they will look at people who use the kind of gear for the area that interests them. It is unlikely to be Pentax, because unlike the other makes, Ricoh/Pentax don't have 'ambassadors' or whatever.

They may look at forums like this one and see all the 'Canikon' insults and walk away in disgust.

R/P don't seen to have much of a business/marketing model beyond word-of-mouth. I don't think that is enough in a shrinking market.
Liney wrote:
So the question is, do you want quality equipment or do you want to save money?

Pentax do not have monopoly on quality.
SteveH!

Some people call me 'strange'.
I prefer 'unconventional'.
But I'm willing to compromise and accept 'eccentric'.

johnriley

Link Posted 04/07/2018 - 16:32
Pentax do have ambassadors and you'll even find a very active one here on this forum.

As for quality, Pentax engineering and manufacturing quality is excellent, and that's the bit that is of value to us. Certainly other manufacturers also have excellent standards. We expect excellence probably and it becomes the norm. I think standards are probably higher now than they have ever been as very high precision tooling produces parts with very close tolerances, maybe even better than what is possible by hand.
Best regards, John

pgweber

Link Posted 04/07/2018 - 17:32
The irony of this post following John's on the Recent Activity page is not lost on me.

https://www.pentaxuser.com/forum/topic/a-sad-day------------60949#comm626166
Peter

Pentax K10D & K5
Pentax DA 18-55 Mk1, 50-200 (Samsung), 16-45, , 55-300, 35 f2.4
Pentax MZ6 + FA28-90, FA50 f1.4
Ricoh KR10 Super + 50mm f2, Tamron 80-210mm & 28mm

johnriley

Link Posted 04/07/2018 - 17:49
In a way Peter, I know what you mean. But every item made by man is subject to potential failure and sometimes we get something that seems inherently unreliable, for whatever reason.

The new 50mm f/1.4 is also labelled SDM, but it's not the same motor or design. Things move on.
Best regards, John

Jetsam1

Link Posted 04/07/2018 - 18:09
Bear in mind that it has been two years since my lens was repaired and I bought it used. Maybe there is an inherent issue with my particular lens, or maybe just unlucky. I suspect that the repairer may have used an old stock motor rather than a "new" design, but I am unwilling to put more money into it certainly at the moment as I can't guarantee a properly operating lens at the end of it. Also outside of the UK it can be a pain to actually get the repair done and I would be without the lens for long enough it may as well be replaced.

At the very least a backup is required. It is a superb lens in terms of actually being a lens but the weakness in the motor has finally tested my patience a bit too far.

I also have the 50-135 DA* that has been absolutely perfect since I acquired it used. So yeah......
K5, K200 and several film Pentax cameras!
Last Edited by Jetsam1 on 04/07/2018 - 18:12

Mike-P

Link Posted 04/07/2018 - 18:31
Jetsam1 wrote:

I also have the 50-135 DA* that has been absolutely perfect since I acquired it used. So yeah......

You are a braver man than I to say such a thing out loud.
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

Jetsam1

Link Posted 04/07/2018 - 18:34
Mike-P wrote:
Jetsam1 wrote:

You are a braver man than I to say such a thing out loud.

I have been clutching at my wooden table for the last 20 minutes..............
K5, K200 and several film Pentax cameras!

Liney

Link Posted 07/07/2018 - 06:25
I have to say that there is another Pentax related forum available which has a vibrant and vigorous membership. There appears to be no shortage of advice and guidance at all levels, and many of those who post are active in the photography community.

These are the "ambassadors" that spread the word on a daily basis, by using Pentax and happily take the time to explain the benefits to anyone who asks questions.

Regardless of which advertising campaign the other manufacturers use, or which celebrity is seem holding the product, the best advert is someone actually using the product. A quick google search of "professional pentax photographers" came up with the following:

http://www.jonathangorsephotography.com/blog/2014/5/why-i-shoot-with-pentax-came... https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/36862469 http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/forums/threads/pro-photographers-who-use-pe... https://www.photo.net/discuss/threads/do-pros-use-pentax.359807/

Daronl

Link Posted 15/07/2018 - 17:34
roberrl wrote:
I think the problem lies with the speed of the processor in the camera. You're right that software changes would be needed but that only works if the the processor can execute the software fast enough to keep up with the frame rate. I haven't examined this recently but frame by frame analysis of many videos I shot with K-01 showed that every so often frames were missed or duplicated. I think the poor buffering and slow autofocus also suggest that the camera does not process the necessary information fast enough to allow for improvement.
Of course every increase in the number of pixels on the sensor adds to the processing necessary to handle each picture and hence a need for a faster processor - I'm not sure we've seen that as the Pentax range has developed.
In short a faster processor would have benefits for almost every user, not just those of us who would like better video capability.

Daronl

Daronl

Link Posted 15/07/2018 - 17:35
Totally the one single problem and potentially imminent killer blow for Pentax ( nothing else needs to be resolved)
Daronl
Last Edited by Daronl on 15/07/2018 - 17:37

Don

Link Posted 16/07/2018 - 22:45
Store clerk in winnipeg canada that sold me my k3 mentioned the store dropped pentax becuase pentax customers were complaining pentax was "forcing" them to switch brands.

The irony of course is...
I was there looking at a sony mirrorless as a potential replacement for my k-3 becuase Pentax has nothing that can switch hit between stills and 4k video that I can buy for my business needs...

I too feel like I am being forced to switch.
I can honestly attest that the AF on my sony hxr nx80 camcorder is as fast as the af on my d-slr, if not faster... and it DEFINITELY tracks moving subjects better... so if that af system says anyhting about the hybrid af in the mirrorless cameras.. then Pentax better be worried...
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Last Edited by Don on 16/07/2018 - 22:48
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.