Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Not a anti K-7 rant.........but

Malo1961
Posted 14/07/2009 - 17:51 Link
Nice to see we are on page three now, without any flaming. Quite a civilised bunch those PUF members. Of course I wasn't putting a accusing finger at anyone around here, while writing down my initial post. There are a lot of experienced and highly regarded Photog's here who of course evolve to the next step upwards. But as George and others al ready mentioned in that other thread. It's only human and most certainly a male thing to lust for the newest gizmo.

What really amazed me, was reading several threads on different forums (not only here) were people were putting there gear up for sale (and some very fine lenses, if I might add. Think DA* quality) just to fund the new K-7.

Do they own a tripod, No ! Do they know the ins and outs of raw editing programs......No, because the same names come up in threads asking explanation about the basics of Photo editing. What a waste.....

I do hope that every new K-7 owner here, enjoys his new gear to the max and doesn't end in a major disappointment because suddenly the expectations about the new camera aren't backed up by the increase of picture quality. Technically and Aestheticly, that is.

Martin.
Best regards,

Martin.

Curious about my photography?? Just Follow the Light.
Edited by Malo1961: 14/07/2009 - 17:52
mikew
Posted 14/07/2009 - 17:55 Link
Cloudhunter - I can't remember. Actually it have been the airport Dixons. I'm still looking - but only as a public service you understand

Mike

Found it!

link
---------------------------------------------------

You can see some of my shots at my Flickr account.
Edited by mikew: 14/07/2009 - 17:57
Posted 14/07/2009 - 17:56 Link
mikew wrote:
Cloudhunter - I can't remember. Actually it have been the airport Dixons. I'm still looking - but only as a public service you understand

Mike

mikew
Posted 14/07/2009 - 17:58 Link

Posted 14/07/2009 - 18:03 Link
SO thats the pre vat price? So it will be £349.97 inc vat

How would you get one without actually travelling?
mikew
Posted 14/07/2009 - 21:05 Link
They don't mention VAT and they don't mention outside EU - honest answer I have no idea but a 20 quid flight is no problem. I can send the wife to Edinburgh for the day

Why would I want one anyway. I can't use the K10D fully yet.

I will resist!

Mike

BODYHEAT
Posted 14/07/2009 - 21:34 Link
Picture quality is only one aspect of a decision-making process in buying a camera IMHO - an important one of course, but all other things being equal, then other aspects take on more importance.

People gravitate towards one camera or another for very personal reasons and since no one is in their shoes, we should simply accept and respect it and not even question it let alone criticise their decisions or choices.

What feels right for you is all that counts. Will having a K7 make someone a better photographer than they would have been with a K20D?

I believe the answer is actually YES, IF it makes their photographic experience more pleasurable and easier in some way. Remember this is PERSONAL and one man's meat...

If they enjoy using the new camera more for whatever reason, even if it is only the size and ergonomics, they are likely to be more productive with it, so I think it does make a difference actually because everything you do, even your photographs are relative to your ease of use and enjoyment in using your tools.

Perception is everything.
FILM - Pentax: LX, K2 - 24/2.8, 40/2.8, 50/1.4, 120/2.8, 80-200/4.5, 28-105mm 2.8 macro, AF 280T

DIGITAL - Nikon : D300 - 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED AF-S VR DX
Malo1961
Posted 14/07/2009 - 21:53 Link
BODYHEAT wrote:
Will having a K7 make someone a better photographer than they would have been with a K20D?

I believe the answer is actually YES, IF it makes their photographic experience more pleasurable and easier in some way. Remember this is PERSONAL and one man's meat...

If you really believe that, I have some other fairy tales for you.
Come on....better photographer ?? Judged by who or by which standards.
You achieve a higher level of craftsmanship by experience, learning of your mistakes, taking advice and listening to feedback. And above all, by being your own worst critique.

A few more gizmo's or innovative new futures can make life a bit more easy for you, but they don't and won't make you a better photographer.
If you really believe otherwise, you will be the ideal consumer and basicly become "The marketing departments wet dream"
I wish you luck, and above all.... very good fortune (money wise)

Martin.
Best regards,

Martin.

George Lazarette
Posted 14/07/2009 - 21:56 Link
Fair enough, but I believe that the real reason that some people switch is not because the new camera feels better, but because they have convinced themselves that some aspect (high ISO performance, AF, noise, or whatever) will somehow improve the quality of their results. And of course, in most cases it won't.

Some of the switchers on here recently are a case in point. Several of them are pretty clueless photographically, and time spent learning how to use their kit properly would serve them much better than spending thousands changing systems.

I have posted a picture to my gallery of a gull taken with my old manual-focus 400mm lens on the *ist D. It's not brilliant, but it does show that with practice you can get reasonable results even with quite antiquated equipment (relatively speaking).

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
BODYHEAT
Posted 14/07/2009 - 22:17 Link
Malo1961 wrote:
BODYHEAT wrote:
Will having a K7 make someone a better photographer than they would have been with a K20D?

If you really believe that, I have some other fairy tales for you.
Come on....better photographer ?? Judged by who or by which standards.
You achieve a higher level of craftsmanship by experience, learning of your mistakes, taking advice and listening to feedback. And above all, by being your own worst critique.

A few more gizmo's or innovative new futures can make life a bit more easy for you, but they don't and won't make you a better photographer.
If you really believe otherwise, you will be the ideal consumer and basicly become "The marketing departments wet dream"
I wish you luck, and above all.... very good fortune (money wise)

Martin.

Well Martin you completely missed the point of what I was saying, and I kind of knew you would actually

If you enjoy using something more for whatever reason that is personal to you then you will become better at it. It doesn't matter whether it's taking pictures, driving a car, skiing, riding a particular mountain bike, jogging or doing any other activity that you need 'equipment' for. The point is: greater enjoyment equals improved productivity and therefore improved skills/craft if nothing else but because you'll do a lot more of it. Practice might not make perfect but it improves what you already do. And over time someone who takes a lot more pictures is likely to become better at it simply as a matter of odds.

Now it might not make someone who is lousy at composition a 'good' photographer by your definition or standards. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. If they don't have the 'eye' then perhaps they will never match up to what you consider a good photographer, but good isn't the issue. The issue is 'better'. Can they get better than they currently are through practice? I believe so.

Will doing something more frequently because you enjoy it more make you 'better'? Surely better is possible for almost anyone
FILM - Pentax: LX, K2 - 24/2.8, 40/2.8, 50/1.4, 120/2.8, 80-200/4.5, 28-105mm 2.8 macro, AF 280T

DIGITAL - Nikon : D300 - 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED AF-S VR DX
Edited by BODYHEAT: 14/07/2009 - 22:24
Malo1961
Posted 14/07/2009 - 22:41 Link
Sorry, but by reading this:
Quote:
The point is: greater enjoyment equals improved productivity and therefore improved skills/craft if nothing else but because you'll do a lot more of it.

I know I didn't miss your point. Actually I nailed it. Everything you say could be valid, presuming the user knows how to master his skill in the first place.Or is the K-7 that great , that it even corrects the most basic user errors.

And this:
Quote:
And over time someone who takes a lot more pictures is likely to become better at it simply as a matter of odds.

Is the kind of machine gun willy approach you are hoping for, to get at a higher level of photography ?
Relying on odds? To get to a better level of photography ?

With that one you are right. I am completely missing that point.
If you don't mind (and I know you won't :wink I'll stick to self criticism and practise. And getting to know my gear, really well.

Martin.
Best regards,

Martin.

mikew
Posted 14/07/2009 - 22:54 Link
Hold on guys surely the point here is that some people will get good value for money by trading up because they enjoy feeding their hobby. I doubt that they really care if they take artistically better photographs but are delighted with some of the improved technicals and the potential for better photographs. They don't feel their potential is held back and that makes them happy.

Lots of us want to take one style of photograph others a different style. Who cares? I can't stand pictures of bloody birds and most people here (and elsewhere) have no idea why I'm happy to take the photos I do. Who cares?

I do buy into the idea that having equipment that you like will encourage you to strive harder and actually take pictures. They won't automatically be better but at least they'll be taken and then the seed is sown for self improvement.

Mike

Malo1961
Posted 14/07/2009 - 23:00 Link
No need to suss Mike. It is going to stay friendly. We just don't agree and that's fine.

Martin.
Best regards,

Martin.

Mike-P
Posted 14/07/2009 - 23:01 Link
For some people buying better or newer equipment is part of the enjoyment of their hobby, it may or may not make them better at it but at the end of the day it is their money and if that is how they want to spend it then good luck to them.

For the life of me I cannot see why this is such a problem to other people.
Edited by Mike-P: 14/07/2009 - 23:02
mikew
Posted 14/07/2009 - 23:02 Link
Getting a bit gritty I'd say.

Mike

PS Tomorrow I'll have another basket case photo for you try and rescue It just didn't work they way I thought it would. Exposure this time I think. I can't get the colours right.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.