Noisey SR in LIveview/Movie

davidrobinson

Link Posted 05/12/2011 - 21:15
I have had a K7 for a year and have only recently noticed excessive rattle in both Liveview and Movie mode. It seems to be almost, but not totaly stopped by switching SR off. When SR is on you can not only hear it but feel it. I'm not sure if it was always as bad as this or if it's got worse.
Any other users experience of this may reassure me alls OK, or not as the case may be.
Regards David

Mannesty

Link Posted 06/12/2011 - 06:31
I've noticed something similar with my K5 recently.

I was taking some long exposure, but hand held shots a few nights ago after dark. Whether SR was on or off, there was an audible buzzing type of noise from within the camera.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

SteveEveritt

Link Posted 06/12/2011 - 09:45
I too have had what I can only describe as a butterfly fluttering its wings inside the camera, very odd.
My Flickr link

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" (John Lennon)

timothyw

Link Posted 06/12/2011 - 12:36
DavidRobinson, you're almost certainly hearing the SR moving the sensor around to compensate for your hand motions. Especially if turning off SR makes it go away, or if it isn't there if you place the camera on a tripod/table.

Mannesty

Link Posted 06/12/2011 - 16:39
timothyw wrote:
DavidRobinson, you're almost certainly hearing the SR moving the sensor around to compensate for your hand motions. Especially if turning off SR makes it go away, or if it isn't there if you place the camera on a tripod/table.

You must have skipped the part where he wrote "It seems to be almost, but not totaly stopped by switching SR off."
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

Don

Link Posted 06/12/2011 - 16:59
can't speak for the k7 or k5, but on the kr there are seperate settings for the sr when shooting stills or video and it is possible to set the sr to off while leaving the other set to on.
try the manual? maybe there's a custom setting buried in the menus?
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 06/12/2011 - 18:16
Are we talking about a barely audible whining noise? I hear it on my K7 sometimes. I always assumed it was something to do with the motor / magnet / whatever! that holds the mirror up in long exposures / live view / video. You can definitely faintly hear / feel the motor moving the sensor in live view, again I always thought this was normal... previously I had never noticed it because my last camera lacked live view, so never had the SR continuously activated.

I have never heard a rattle, apart from the slight clunk as the sensor is moved this way and that by the SR in response to slight camera movement.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
Last Edited by Pentaxophile on 06/12/2011 - 18:17

davidrobinson

Link Posted 07/12/2011 - 10:01
The noise is only heard when the camera is moved about quickly especially side to side. Turning SR off in Movie/Liveview almost totaly eliminates noise.
The following I take as fairly normal, a very slight rattle which is heard, with or without SR on when moved about quickly. This noise stops if lens is removed and then mirror locked up.
Regards David
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.