No K20D's available to try out

terje-l

Link Posted 09/12/2008 - 11:48
I, for one, would be very reluctant to buy a lens with that wide zoom ratio. Too much compromise in Image Quality. Max. 3:1 is my preference.

If you really are a newbie, I would suggest to start with the excellent 18-55 mm Mk II kit lens, and see where your preferences take you.
Best regards
Terry

K20D, Optio I10, DA 18-55 1:3.5-5.6 AL II, A 1:1.7/50, D FA 1:2.8/100 Macro, Sigma 70-300 1:4-5.6 APO DG Macro, Pentax AF 360FGZ

TGK

Link Posted 09/12/2008 - 11:58
Hi and welcome
Tracey
K100D Super,DA 55-300.
CS3

stevo

Link Posted 09/12/2008 - 12:10
salixarbour wrote:

I've been ringing the Manchester branch fairly often recently, but to no avail. Don't know whether that's a good or a bad sign!

Don't know about Manchester, but I've found the branches I've dealt with quite helpful via email. You can email a specific branch from the website "contact us" page.

user_removed

Link Posted 09/12/2008 - 12:46
Welcome to forum Steve. We all want you to buy a Pentax k20

I have packed my pentax film SLR last month and decided to buy a K20d.
Last week I visited and phoned jessops ¶Calumet¶Jacobs¶comet¶Currys in Birmingham city but none of the shop had any new or demo K20 D model available, as a pentax dealer they are selling K20 online. I think two shops had only pentax compact cameras on display.
I am going to buy it via mail order and try it.
All the best
vikram

SnapperSteve

Link Posted 09/12/2008 - 15:02
Thanks to all.
I have bitten the bullet and ordered a K20D & 18-55mkII from SRS (yippeee). I guessed that both the K10D and K20D are going to handle and feel almost identical and I havenít read a bad review on eitherísí feel or handling.

The clincher was my wife saying that if I didn't buy the K20D, I would only regret it and want to trade up again in a years time (she's right, as always!) and that was as good as a "go get it" to me. I think I now have some sucking-up to do!

Only down side is that it is my Xmas present, so the next two weeks could be the longest of my life! I'm going to be worse than the kids!

I will add my views after Xmas.

I would like to say thanks to SRSmicrosystems for the great deal (my second camera from them), it should be delivered tomorrow!

The other thing to remember is that SRS give 2 years warranty and free postage to forum members if you ask nicely!

Steve
Smile! You could be on camera!

Roscoe

Link Posted 09/12/2008 - 15:45
SnapperSteve wrote:
Thanks to all.
I have bitten the bullet and ordered a K20D & 18-55mkII from SRS (yippeee). I guessed that both the K10D and K20D are going to handle and feel almost identical and I havenít read a bad review on eitherísí feel or handling.

The clincher was my wife saying that if I didn't buy the K20D, I would only regret it and want to trade up again in a years time (she's right, as always!) and that was as good as a "go get it" to me. I think I now have some sucking-up to do!

Only down side is that it is my Xmas present, so the next two weeks could be the longest of my life! I'm going to be worse than the kids!

I will add my views after Xmas.

I would like to say thanks to SRSmicrosystems for the great deal (my second camera from them), it should be delivered tomorrow!

The other thing to remember is that SRS give 2 years warranty and free postage to forum members if you ask nicely!

Steve

Hi Steve,
Just for info' all Pentax pro dealers give 2 years warranty, I have 2 years warranty from Park Cameras!

Anyway welcome to our forum and I look forward to seeing your efforts in 2009.

M C & H N Y

salixarbour

Link Posted 09/12/2008 - 15:49
Hi, all.
Thanks to Stevo, Vikram, SnapperSteve & Terry for your recent input.

I feel I am fast coming round to the K20D way of thinking and will try LCE Manchester again, by phone and by email.

I do have a 6 months old Sony A200, plus original box etc, to trade in, so the LCE might also be worth considering.

My real confusion I guess relates to the lenses! Whilst my knowledge is skimpy (to say the least), and my funds not endless, there seems to be an almost infinite number of lens possibilities!

Also, one thing which disappoints me greatly with the Sony A200 kit lens (18-70), is the slightly sloppy manual focusing ring. I got a taste of quality last week when I tried the Nikon D90 with its own kit lens, the Nikkor 18-105 lens. The manual focusing ring, which was set quite close to the camera body, felt so much more controllable and precise than the Sony's. I just need to physically handle some equally good (if not better) Pentax lenses!

Right, must phone the LCE, Manchester ... again!

Regards to all.
Alan.
Camera: K20D.
Lenses: Pentax DA* 55mm f1.4 SDM, Pentax DA* 16-50 SDM, Pentax 18-250 SMC DA, Pentax-M 50mm f1.7, Sigma 70-300 F4-5.6 DG macro.
Flash: Pentax AF360.

RR

Link Posted 09/12/2008 - 16:10
If you think the D90 kit lens had a quality focus ring then when you try out the K20d ask if they have any of the all metal limited Pentax primes for you to try with it.

If you're into manual focus then Pentax is a great choice for you. Many excellent old manual lenses can be picked up cheaply on ebay, I picked up a 50mm f1.7 for £15 & the focus ring is excellent, very well weighted & damped to use. All K mount lenses will work on the K20d & all the even older m42 screw fits will too, with an adapter.
My Flickr

salixarbour

Link Posted 09/12/2008 - 16:24
Thanks, RR.
It's kind words of wisdom like that which I like to hear (or even read).

I phoned LCE Manchester (1/2 hour ago), and finally got through! They only have the K20D body in stock; no lenses, and none for the next week or so either!

Just been looking at John Riley's review of the K20D (+ photo) in this forum. Very encouraging! just got to decide what to do about these lenses!

Regards.
Alan.
Camera: K20D.
Lenses: Pentax DA* 55mm f1.4 SDM, Pentax DA* 16-50 SDM, Pentax 18-250 SMC DA, Pentax-M 50mm f1.7, Sigma 70-300 F4-5.6 DG macro.
Flash: Pentax AF360.

Hyram

Link Posted 09/12/2008 - 19:20
SnapperSteve wrote:
Hyram

I'm in a village called Yateley, North Hampshire, near the Berkshire border.

I see you have both the K10D & K20D, in your opinion is the K20D worth stretching the budget for (and I will be stretching it!)

If I go for the K20D (looking that way) I will only be able to afford the kit 18-55 MkII, does this do it justice?

Both will be a great leap from my 6mp K110D, I'm sure.

Steve,

Glad to see that you have ordered a K20D. If I had replied in time, that would have been my recommendation.

The Mk11 kit lens is well regarded.

Handling wise, the the K10D and K20D are effectively the same.
Hyram

Bodies: K20D (2), K10D, Super A, ME Super, Auto 110 SLR, X70, Optio P70
Pentax Glass: DA* 300, DA* 60-250, DA* 50-135, DA* 16-50, DA 70 Ltd, FA 31 Ltd, DA 35 Ltd, DA 18-55 (2), DA 12-24, DA 10-17, M 200, A 35-70, M 40, M 28, Converter-A 2X-S, 1.4X-S, AF 1.7, Pentax-110 50, Pentax-110 24
Other Glass: Sigma 105 macro, Sigma-A APO 75-300
Flash: Metz 58 AF-1 P, Pentax AF160FC ringflash, Pentax AF280T
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.