Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Next Photoshop Elements.....when...??

wvbarnes
Posted 05/10/2016 - 09:47 Link
I personally am looking forward to the replacement for my UK made Serif Photoplus (which has been full 16 bit editing for a long time) http://www.serif.com/photoplus/x8/in-depth/ I usually buy such for around £19.99 as an upgrade. Sadly the last versions of all their Plus software.

The replacement will be Affinity Photo. Currently only for Mac but Windows version soon. https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/

Also quite interesting for day to day use is the free Photos in the latest update to Windows 10 which surprised me but the extent of its tools when i looked (for free),
cardiffgareth
Posted 05/10/2016 - 10:01 Link
Agreed, no action recording, no patch tool, no pen tool, just a load of gimmicks.

I think they've run their course with it now, any more features at it'll be like full blown Photoshop so there is no where they can go with it now bar gimmicks and of course the updating of the RAW converter.
Gareth Williams ARPS

My outfit: K1ii - Pentax D FA 24-70mm f2.8 - Pentax DA* 300mm f4 - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 50mm f1.4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II

Welsh Photographer
Flickr
Instagram
My PPG
Foundation NFT
JAK
Posted 05/10/2016 - 15:15 Link
I'd have thought it would be in Adobe's interest to automatically update the raw converter for their loyal customers using old versions whenever they update the DNG converter program. The core program would be unaffected. Perhaps Adobe don't like loyal customers for some reason like insurance, energy and phone companies.
John K
dangie
Posted 05/10/2016 - 15:16 Link
Certainly if I'd got one of the 'later' versions say v12 v13 or v14, I doubt if I'd upgrade. However as my current Elements is v9 then I'll give it a punt.
6th Year Apprentice Pensioner
DOIK
Posted 05/10/2016 - 20:54 Link
The answer is now. LINK

John
Gwyn
Posted 05/10/2016 - 21:22 Link
dangie wrote:
Certainly if I'd got one of the 'later' versions say v12 v13 or v14, I doubt if I'd upgrade. However as my current Elements is v9 then I'll give it a punt.

I think that is a sensible decision. let us know what you think of it.

You can also use the Nik collection directly from Elements, should you feel that way inclined.
bforbes
Posted 03/11/2016 - 10:00 Link
I wanted to try focus stacking a couple of images and found that feature is not available in Elements 13. While looking for a solution I came across Elements+ link According to the write up it "unlocks" some of the features lost when Elements is cut down from Photoshop. One of those is focus stacking, so for £13.00 I gave it a try. All I can tell you so far is the stacking works well and there is a load of stuff I have not tried yet.
miles500
Posted 03/11/2016 - 11:02 Link
Thought that Elements + looked interesting, and I downloaded the appropriate version for PSE 14 and although some of the effects seem to work OK, I have been unable to summon up the dialogue box for channel mixer or curves as nothing happens when I click on the appropriate tab. Clearly I am doing somethhing wrong but the on-line guidance has not helped me.
Miles
bforbes
Posted 03/11/2016 - 11:13 Link
I'm on Elements 13 and Curves and Channel mixer shows up in the Color and tone tab for me. is that where you are trying?
JAK
Posted 03/11/2016 - 12:07 Link
I've installed the demo version for Elements 11. The features seem to be available OK.
Perhaps this explains why Adobe is always accused of bloatware; installing features that they don't tell you about and not make them avaiiable., Are the extra features actually added by Elements+ or are they there already but hidden? The documentation suggests the latter. I wonder what Adobe think about it!
John K
Edited by JAK: 03/11/2016 - 12:08
miles500
Posted 03/11/2016 - 12:31 Link
bforbes wrote:
I'm on Elements 13 and Curves and Channel mixer shows up in the Color and tone tab for me. is that where you are trying?

Thanks the the instructions led me to think that you brought up the curves dialogues by clicking on the elements + panel - this works for the effects but nothing happens when I click on the curves or mixer words. I have now found the curves dialogue under the adjust colour tab but still can not find the channel mixer anywhere!
Miles
bforbes
Posted 03/11/2016 - 13:12 Link
I got here by selecting Effects, then Elements+ in the drop down, tone and color in the panel (top left), and the pop up window appeared. just a note less options are available if RGB is not selected.

Comment Image
miles500
Posted 03/11/2016 - 15:27 Link
Thaks so much Barrie for taking the trouble to show me. I have no problem in locating the elements + icon but when I click on it, I do not get any of the nine tools which your graphic displays and the elements dialogue box pops up, but neither channel mixer or curves appear when you click on their names. I think this is because they have simply not installed themselves. I have reinstalled elements+ and there is no change so finally I have emailed the author to see whether he can help. It seems a very useful program but I shall not spend even £13 until I know it is going to work on my PC . I wonder whether windows 10 has anything to do with it.
Miles
bforbes
Posted 03/11/2016 - 15:50 Link
It sounds like you only have the demo version of Elements+ which only has a limited number of the tools available on the full version. The link for the full version is emailed to you once the £13 is paid.
miles500
Posted 03/11/2016 - 16:03 Link
Thanks Barrie, Yes you are probably right. It looks to me that the demo version is possibly too limited to show the full potential. I will see what reply I get and may well hazard my £13 anyway - it is pretty small beer after what I have spent on gear this year - K1 and lenses!!
Miles

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.