Newbie photos with K-R and A 50mm 1.7

ShepProudfoot

Link Posted 28/02/2012 - 08:57
Hello,

I've had my K-R a month now, first DSLR and really enjoying it.

Got a Pentax-A 50mm 1.7 last week, and here are a few pics I took of my son.

I'm quite happy with them, but can anyone think of anything I could've done better?

">
" class="comment_image" />

">

">

Cheers
Pentax K-R, DA35mm f2.4, DA 16-45mm f4 and DA L 50-200mm f/4.0-5.6

milamber

Link Posted 28/02/2012 - 09:09
They are all nice photos, especially the 2nd one.

You should be able to get them a bit sharper with the A 50mm 1.7. Without the exif information it's difficult to tell, but I suspect a combination of a dull day with lowish shutter speed and moving subject might have just blurred things up a little.

If you could post the exif information that would help. You can find this if you click on the 'properties' tag of the photo (usually comes up with right mouse click). Things like shutter speed, aperture, ISO etc.

Helpful

MrB

Link Posted 28/02/2012 - 09:34
milamber wrote:

If you could post the exif information that would help.

Right-click on the images above and click properties.

ChrisR

Link Posted 28/02/2012 - 09:53
Hi Niel.

Nice set of images, good depth of field control.

Take care.
Chris R.

I. El. (Eng). (Rtd).

ShepProudfoot

Link Posted 28/02/2012 - 10:02
Thanks for the replies.

Yes it was a pretty dull day, and I was using AV mode, ISO 200, f1.7, not sure about shutter speed.

I was using manual focus and catch in focus, but not sure which method was used for the photos I posted.

Neil
Last Edited by ShepProudfoot on 28/02/2012 - 10:04

milamber

Link Posted 28/02/2012 - 10:30
MrB wrote:
milamber wrote:

If you could post the exif information that would help.

Right-click on the images above and click properties.

No 'properties' option for me with right click or I would have done this. I have looked before on photos on here. Why can some get it and not others?
Browser perhaps?

MrB

Link Posted 28/02/2012 - 10:59
milamber wrote:

No 'properties' option for me with right click or I would have done this. I have looked before on photos on here. Why can some get it and not others?
Browser perhaps?

It works for me in Opera browser, but I've just tried Internet Explorer and it doesn't, so your suspicion was right. If you don't want to install a different browser, right-click on the picture and save it. You can open the detailed properties when you right-click on the saved image file's name or icon.

MrB

Link Posted 28/02/2012 - 13:20
ShepProudfoot wrote:

I'm quite happy with them, but can anyone think of anything I could've done better?

Shep,
Stating that you are happy with them seems to render other opinions somewhat pointless, but anyway here goes -

#1 would have been better with the feet in the frame, and similarly #3 with the ends of the sleeves.

For me all three have rather too much background - they look better when cropped at 10/8 ratio (but not too closely) with the little chap off-centre to the right in #1 and #3 and to the left in #2.

Helpful

chunky

Link Posted 28/02/2012 - 18:07
Hi Neil,

I would agree with what Mr B has posted.
All in all they are a pretty good set for someone fairly new to photography.
Just work on your composition and you'll be fine.
Chunky

MrB

Link Posted 28/02/2012 - 19:03
chunky wrote:
Hi Neil,
All in all they are a pretty good set for someone fairly new to photography.

(Sorry Neil - I referred to you as Shep.)

I agree with this comment by Chunky - I should have included something similar in my previous post but I forgot. And I do like your son's natural expressions, rather than the usual results of "say cheese" - he looks very comfortable to be walking out in the countryside with his proud Dad!

Opethian

Link Posted 28/02/2012 - 20:16
Great photos, and I also like the second one. I think the only thing I can recommend you do is in regards to post-processing.

Twitter | Someone said time-lapse?
Pentax K5 | Samsung N9005 | DA 18-55 WR | DA 35 2.4 | DA 50 1.8
Tamron 10-24 SP | Tamron 90 2.8 Macro | Tamron 70-300 Macro
Samyang 85 1.4 ...and a few other manual lenses older than me.

jvs

Link Posted 28/02/2012 - 21:01
Hi Neil and welcome! This is a great place to learn, with lots of people kind (and honest) enough to offer constructive criticism. I've learned a lot since I was in your position and am still staggered by the quality of pictures posted by those who really know what they're doing!

I like all your shots here. My only comment would be to watch the composition as mentioned above. I find the trees in no.1 a real distraction from the subject.

Good luck!
John

ShepProudfoot

Link Posted 28/02/2012 - 23:04
Thanks everyone for the great advice, and friendly welcome.

Yes, composition is something I need to pay more attention to, and I tend to crop all photos 16/9 to fill TV or monitor screen.

Cheers,

Neil
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.