New to pentax cameras

matterhornmat

Link Posted 04/07/2017 - 19:57
Hi,
I'm just getting back into photography after many years.I decided on a 35mm camera first as this is what used back in the 80's and 90's.Well i did say it had been some time!
After looking on Gumtree i found a Pentax super program in tip top condition for a steel,with all the paperwork/warranty card etc.I also decided i wanted a dslr and settled on a secondhand Pentax k7 to keep the cost down which i'm very pleased with.
I would describe myself as into adventure/travel and landscape photography. Being a hill walker and mountaineer i have climbed in Scotland and the Alps and look forward to posting pictures of this kind of stuff and learning along the way.

vic cross

Link Posted 04/07/2017 - 20:15
Welcome, Welcome and thrice Welcome. There are still quite a few on this site who still shoot film and I'm sure they'll help where and when they can if you ask them. Some still do their own D&P.
CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.

stu62

Link Posted 04/07/2017 - 20:32
vic cross wrote:
Welcome, Welcome and thrice Welcome. There are still quite a few on this site who still shoot film and I'm sure they'll help where and when they can if you ask them. Some still do their own D&P.
CHEERS Vic.

You forgot on thing Vic we all like to have a laugh and a joke as well

Any way welcome to the family and may I ask what you us to shoot with many moons ago

matterhornmat

Link Posted 04/07/2017 - 21:04
Thanks for the warm welcome guys.
I never had a lot of money back in the 80's and buying a new camera was a big deal with the wages from a YTS scheme in Thatcher's Britain.I remember saving up for a Practica bc1 which i purchased out of Comet in Dudley for about 90 quid ,i think! That was about 5 weeks wages.I don't remember it being a bad camera ( built like a tank ), i used it for many years before finally upgrading to a Minolta but by that time things were getting more and more electronic but we were still a few years away from digital.The thing that's swayed me towards Pentax is the build quality of the two models i've got and vast array of affordable /compatible lenses across the range.
I would be interested on you views of Pentax compared to other brands?

SteveLedger

Link Posted 04/07/2017 - 23:40
matterhornmat wrote:

I would be interested on you views of Pentax compared to other brands?

Why?
Are you having buyer remorse already?

There's no bad camera these days, only bad photographers.
I had a K-7 for a time. Was a great camera with tough and solid build. Another member here still uses his regularly.
Things have got even better since then (except for video features).. Enjoy.

wvbarnes

Link Posted 05/07/2017 - 00:10
Welcome,

Other brands aren't really relevant if the kit you have does all you need. I bought Pentax initially because it delivered value for money well made kit.
Bill

matterhornmat

Link Posted 05/07/2017 - 00:19
Not in the slightest.
I'm quite happy with the quality and results of both cameras i now own.Just interested in knowing other peoples experiences and what got them into the brand
If you can recall i was asked what equipment i used in the 80's and 90's.
Cheers

davidwozhere

Link Posted 05/07/2017 - 00:38
You came in with super sunset splash and we'd like to see more of that quality. Welcome aboard.
(I started with an Exakta RTL1000, which is really a dressed up Practika - very good camera until it got nicked)
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

stu62

Link Posted 05/07/2017 - 12:17
I have tried a few cameras when I was useing film mainly second hand but always had a pentax as my go to camera mainly me super first new camera was the mef about 2 months after that I went to jessops to by a tamron sp200 and some one persuaded me to buy a canon f1n which I had for a week as I hated it

I ended up with a Pentax lx which served me well

Elleygreen

Link Posted 05/07/2017 - 12:35
Welcome to the wonderful world of "Just Hold a Pentax" (60s Ad slogan) - as I have been from 1968 (SV) to now (K5). It says it all really and I am sure you will not be disappointed.

stu62

Link Posted 05/07/2017 - 16:48
Or it could be a duff one may I ask where you got it from

McGregNi

Link Posted 05/07/2017 - 19:23
I think you'll find a recurring theme here ...... We've chosen, or stuck with, Pentax because of the ergonomics, build strength,intuitive controls, good value camera bodies with more features at each price point than the competition.... Plus as you already said, the amazing possibilities for choice in lenses. Many people specifically use their Pentax cameras because of how practical it is to use legacy, even 'historic' film era lenses, and the huge possibilities there are with K mount compatibility going back.

Now you can add all the special this that Pentax offer into the mix. ...eg sensor shake reduction, pixel shift, AA filter simulator, Weather Resistance, GPS.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

matterhornmat

Link Posted 05/07/2017 - 20:55
Thanks for all the advice.I have def made the right choice.

stu62

Link Posted 05/07/2017 - 21:00
matterhornmat wrote:
Thanks for all the advice.I have def made the right choice.

As the wife always points out you don't make the right choice but the correct lol
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.