New Pentax Firmware updates for 6 cameras

stevejcoe

Link Posted 31/01/2013 - 15:52
I have just been doing some very rough and ready tests using the new firmware on a K5 MK1.

I tested out focusing speed and accuracy using DA* 16-50, DA* 50 - 135 DA 55-300 FA*31 Ltd FA35, FA50.

Tests were carried out hand held, outside in quite bright light and then again inside in a pretty dark north facing room.

For focusing accuracy I compared regular AF with results obtained using Liveview.

All lenses were used at maximum aperture.

1. My perception is that all the lenses were locked more quickly.
2. All my lenses needed some adjustment to the plus side to match the LV result.
3. DA* 16-50 and FA 50 were sharper wide open than I ever managed to previously obtain. I compared results obtained on the K10 and it really was like night and day.
4. For whatever reason the updated K5 struggles with the FA31 Ltd. There is a lot of variability, especially with shots taken indoors.

As I said this was very rough and ready. The method needs to be tightened up, along with a more detailed analysis, but so far the results look quite promising.

Regards - Steve

Smeggypants

Link Posted 31/01/2013 - 16:11
johnriley wrote:
It casn remove minor bugs, which is probably rarely mentioned except as "improves stability", and can add useful features. I updated the Q, without which the adapter for K lenses could not be used.

It is a simple process, just follow the instructions and make sure the battery is fully charged.

or add them
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

techno-terminator

Link Posted 31/01/2013 - 16:17
Flipping heck - I need to find a blank card - and it's not that long since I updated it [ 9th Jan the day I got the K-30]
let the education continue

proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs

Gwyn

Link Posted 31/01/2013 - 16:28
techno-terminator wrote:
Flipping heck - I need to find a blank card - and it's not that long since I updated it [ 9th Jan the day I got the K-30]

I only updated mine yesterday, and have had to do it again today.

Why don't you have a formatted card? Do you keep them all as is once they are full rather than off loading the photos and re-using them?

Smeggypants

Link Posted 31/01/2013 - 16:29
steven9761 wrote:
In reality, firmware updates are performance tweaks. In order to get the best performance from our computers, we (or experts on our behalf) will tweak settings within the main console, or dig deep into the registry in order to get that improved performance. These firmware updates may not necessarily provide visible improvements, but they are improvements nonetheless, so I'd advise to update in order to keep your camera performing at its peak.

A software version doesn't wear out over time like your brake pads , so there's no need to update to keep something performing at it's current level.

In reality software updates can introduce bugs as well as fixing old ones. Many have been caught out by fixing something that isn't broke.

IOW if your camera's is working fine and the update offers no functionality you require then the sensible approach is to leave well alone. You especially won't find pro's updating unless it's absolutely necessary as they have to work with tried and trusted equipment.

Software is also regularly released with known bugs as often if you wated to fix everything, nothing would ever get released.

I say the above as someone who's worked for many years testing software updates.

However life would be boring without a bit of risk taking now and again, and I am interested in StevejCoe's tests on AF for the K-5
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..

steven9761

Link Posted 31/01/2013 - 16:36
techno-terminator wrote:

Angela - you did say that you'd probably need a bit of practice to get the hang of doing fimware updates!!

Mike-P

Link Posted 31/01/2013 - 16:37
Everytime there is a firmware update someone notices an AF improvement.
Wishful thinking most of the time I would guess.

Downloaded and ready to go on my new camera when it arrives tomorrow.
. My Flickr
Last Edited by Mike-P on 31/01/2013 - 16:39

Smeggypants

Link Posted 31/01/2013 - 16:41
stevejcoe wrote:
I have just been doing some very rough and ready tests using the new firmware on a K5 MK1.

I tested out focusing speed and accuracy using DA* 16-50, DA* 50 - 135 DA 55-300 FA*31 Ltd FA35, FA50.

Tests were carried out hand held, outside in quite bright light and then again inside in a pretty dark north facing room.

For focusing accuracy I compared regular AF with results obtained using Liveview.

All lenses were used at maximum aperture.

1. My perception is that all the lenses were locked more quickly.
2. All my lenses needed some adjustment to the plus side to match the LV result.
3. DA* 16-50 and FA 50 were sharper wide open than I ever managed to previously obtain. I compared results obtained on the K10 and it really was like night and day.
4. For whatever reason the updated K5 struggles with the FA31 Ltd. There is a lot of variability, especially with shots taken indoors.

As I said this was very rough and ready. The method needs to be tightened up, along with a more detailed analysis, but so far the results look quite promising.

Regards - Steve

Was that as a result of the Update Steve. if ao did they require any adjustment, with different values, before the update?

Smeggypants

Link Posted 31/01/2013 - 16:58
this poster's update to V1.02 didn't go so well. Could have been user error though?

johnriley

Link Posted 31/01/2013 - 17:08
Could have been user error, but how could we know.

Pentax, or JPS, can't remember which, do say updates are at user's risk and putting it right is chargeable.

The Q is the only camera I have updated, and that went fine. That was so I could use the adapter and any new lenses. The lens updates went fine as well.

The only other update done was done by JPS when they repaired my K10D.

I don't think generally we should be afraid of doing this though, but it is at our own risk if we get it wrong.
Best regards, John

stevejcoe

Link Posted 31/01/2013 - 17:21
Quote:
Was that as a result of the Update Steve. if ao did they require any adjustment, with different values, before the update?

As per previous post, all the lenses needed a tweak on the plus side (an extra 3-5 points)
The FA35 and DA55-300 were previously at 0.
The others were already on the plus side.

My only real concern is that the the DA* 16-50 is now towards the maximum on the + side with little scope for further adjustment.

Quote:
Everytime there is a firmware update someone notices an AF improvement.
Wishful thinking most of the time I would guess.

I take your point Mike, but I found the results significant enough to post.

IQ wise the FA50 and DA*16-50 (@ 16mm) both wide open are noticably sharper than I previously managed to obtain.
Of course this may have been down to my poor technique, but I have previously spent quite a bit of time tweaking settings for my FA50 and have always been slightly underwhelmed with the results. So much so, that I preferred to manually focus my 'A' series 1.4 when I wanted to shoot wide open.

AF speed has never been an issue for me as most of what I shoot is pretty static, but my perception is that with the exception of the FA31Ltd the lenses seemed to lock slightly quicker, particularly inside in a dimly lit room. I accept I might be wrong with this, I have no second K5, so a side by side comparison is not possible.

Regards - Steve

Gwyn

Link Posted 31/01/2013 - 17:52
johnriley wrote:

Pentax, or JPS, can't remember which, do say updates are at user's risk and putting it right is chargeable.

Pentax say it - which is why I was really worried yesterday when I had a problem with the first firmware update.

techno-terminator

Link Posted 31/01/2013 - 19:04
Gwyn wrote:
techno-terminator wrote:

Why don't you have a formatted card? Do you keep them all as is once they are full rather than off loading the photos and re-using them?

You got it
let the education continue

proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs

Gwyn

Link Posted 31/01/2013 - 19:35
techno-terminator wrote:
Gwyn wrote:
Quote:

You got it

Wow .

Dave_Evanson

Link Posted 31/01/2013 - 20:46
techno-terminator wrote:
Gwyn wrote:
Quote:

You got it

I wouldn’t rely on the SD cards as a backup or long term storage solution. There is a time limit to how long the data on them is saved without becoming corrupted. From what I’ve seen on the web suggests 5 years is typical
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.