Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

New Pentax FF ..image released on PhotoRumors?

Algernon
Posted 05/02/2015 - 11:00 Link
McGregNi wrote:
That's a first generation model built .....

The Pentax will also be a first generation model

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
McGregNi
Posted 05/02/2015 - 11:09 Link
Sure, but its likely to remain current for longer than the A7 I'd have thought . And I'd expect it to come with everything the serious user will need (even the video stuff for Richard :wink , not just a few things with a view to drip feeding new features on upgraded versions.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
1stEverPentax
Posted 05/02/2015 - 11:14 Link
As for timing..the online feeling going off what some people have been told is that it will definitely be towards the end of the year. My guess is that they will need it out for the pre Christmas boom..so probably end of October into early November.

This FF at the moment is just a prototype 'model', designed to gauge reaction and interest before they finalise the design and start cutting metal.
McGregNi
Posted 05/02/2015 - 11:15 Link
johnriley wrote:

If you want to know how big the viewfinder will be, look through a film SLR.

I know, its lovely isn't it? Thats not exactly what I wanted to know though, which is really about how the reduced FOV will be represented in the larger FF viewfinder. Your ideas above John sound feasible. It sounds as if people feel that the actual magnification will not zoom in to enlarge the smaller image circle to fill the larger viewfinder frame? But rather that some kind of indicator system will operate to show the new image boundaries.

But, that comes back to my original concern ... does that not mean we will be able to see the darkening and vignetting with aps-c lenses in the viewfinder? I think that would be distracting.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Edited by McGregNi: 05/02/2015 - 11:18
DrOrloff
Posted 05/02/2015 - 12:04 Link
dangie wrote:
Without meaning to dampen our spirits too much, I hate it when Pentax say "in development".

Didn't the 645D take about five years from announcement to fruition......!!

The first lenses are ready and available for pre-order. They would not release lenses and then have massive wait for the body.

Furthermore the lenses must have clearly been thouroughly tested and therefore I suggest the body is very well advanced.
Edited by DrOrloff: 05/02/2015 - 12:05
K10D
Posted 05/02/2015 - 12:43 Link
McGregNi wrote:
But, that comes back to my original concern ... does that not mean we will be able to see the darkening and vignetting with aps-c lenses in the viewfinder? I think that would be distracting.

Probably Nigel. Just don't put cropped glass on a FF body unless you don't have FF glass.

It's there because it will generate sales of FF glass from those who have invested heavily in cropped glass should they buy the FF body. It's a stop gap measure at best which effectively keeps all of the Pentax cropped glass usable on a larger format body.

Best regards
Inspiration is rarer than a plate glass camera.....
Pentaxophile
Posted 05/02/2015 - 15:29 Link
I see what you mean, Nigel. I was assuming there'd be a mask which would activate in crop mode, replicating an apsc viewfinder. I certainly hope that's how Pentax implement it!
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
McGregNi
Posted 05/02/2015 - 16:43 Link
That makes sense, yes ... My first thoughts were it would be some kind of zoom mechanism (like in a flashgun head) that would change the magnification ... Maybe that's over-complicating it though! But an OVF is not like some monitor you could just change the view of with software, is it? I'd assume something physically has to move into place to alter the view framing .....

In any case, I'm just SO pleased we're talking about an OVF here, and not the other thing ......
Edited by McGregNi: 05/02/2015 - 16:47
Darkmunk
Posted 05/02/2015 - 17:18 Link
Apart from the reduced file size, I can't see much point in cropping the image as a lot of DA lenses are quite acceptable outside the APS-c borders. So unless the pixel pitch is at least as fine as the current crop sensors there would be no advantage in cropping and even then, why not just crop the image yourself to wherever the quality is acceptable?
If it's a 24MP sensor, we can expect similar performance to the 645z. If it's any more, we will have good detail and cropping ability, but poor in low light. To really make a mark, they should keep it to about 16 I reckon. Leave the K3 for magnification/detail and the 645z for the MP junkies (not to mention not trampling all over those zed users who have invested so much for the big files)
Edited by Darkmunk: 05/02/2015 - 17:19
junousia
Posted 05/02/2015 - 17:34 Link
Finally, great news.
Best Regards
Jukka
flickr

"If your photographs aren't good enough, you're not close enough." - Robert Capa
McGregNi
Posted 05/02/2015 - 17:55 Link
My main concern about the crop issue is really about having a smaller image, and vignetting and black space within the viewfinder (I assume the live view can just zoom in with a software adjustment?) .... This I would find distracting I'm sure and it would interfere with quick and efficient framing, and focussing possibly. We're so used to seeing 100% of the image in the viewfinder, I feel it would be disconcerting otherwise. But I guess Pentax engineers will find a practical solution.
Posted 05/02/2015 - 18:23 Link
if it has the Sony A7R sensor happy days

I expect a LOT of K-3's for sale in the new year
Learn how to live and you'll know how to die; learn how to die, and you'll know how to live.

Check out ones photographs on Flickr!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/awprentice/
Darkmunk
Posted 05/02/2015 - 18:30 Link
Mike's already started flogging his lenses
gwing
Posted 05/02/2015 - 19:38 Link
McGregNi wrote:
My main concern about the crop issue is really about having a smaller image, and vignetting and black space within the viewfinder (I assume the live view can just zoom in with a software adjustment?) .... This I would find distracting I'm sure and it would interfere with quick and efficient framing, and focussing possibly. We're so used to seeing 100% of the image in the viewfinder, I feel it would be disconcerting otherwise. But I guess Pentax engineers will find a practical solution.

I actually rather miss the old 'bright line' viewfinders we used to have in rangefinder cameras. Having extra edges visible was really useful - it kept a bit of perspective available for judging whether zooming out|changing lenses|stepping back was a good idea.
Edited by gwing: 05/02/2015 - 19:38
Opethian
Posted 05/02/2015 - 19:40 Link
It's been a while since I posted, but I want to say Yay!

I've been on the fence regarding FF (leaning towards Canon) but now I have a reason to stay.

Here's my wishlist:

* Weather Sealing
* 4K Video
* Stereo Audio recording
* Mic socket
* Sub 1k price (smash the competition!)
* GPS
* WiFi
* Smartphone App for remote control
* That new Sony Image Stabilization system, or something better

That's just off the top of my head.

One thing's for sure, prices of old lenses will rise... a bit.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.