New lenses for Pentax Cameras

bjolester

Link Posted 02/01/2019 - 19:20
I am very interested in seeing the promised DA*11-18mm being finished and released. Hopefully it will turn out to be a lens of the same optical and mechanical level as the other recently produced Pentax D-FA* zoom lenses and the 50mm. It would also be great if Ricoh/Pentax could produce a 24mm or a 28mm of the same quality as the D-FA* 50/1.4. For instance, a HD Pentax-D FA* 28mm f2 SDM AW would really be something
Bjørn

PPG
Flickr
Last Edited by bjolester on 02/01/2019 - 19:20

robbiec

Link Posted 02/01/2019 - 19:26
I have a few more in the Pentax back catalog to get before starting to look at new stuff but there is a window of opportunity to start saving. I have the HD Pentax-D FA* 50/1.4 and once I had a good play with it my previously treasured SMC A50/1.2 wilted in my eyes, left my bag, got packed away and sent over to Canada to begin a new life, so now I will be getting the set of HD P-DFA*s listed on the road-map one by one as they arrive.
The HD Pentax-D FA* 85/1.4 is one that I am most excited as it will be one of the first to arrive (that and the DA*11-18 I think) and that is purely because of the aforementioned 50/1.4; optically it has practically no weaknesses (you can see some PF wide open and there can be a hint of CA in high contrast scenarios) but you're really looking / pixel peeping and I personally find it balances beautifully on the K-1 sans grip which helps me dive reasonably easily enough below 1/50s with my personal limit being 1/10s handheld. If the 85 arrives with the same level of optical brilliance and packaging then I think our biggest problem will be toning down the resolution.
The other item which I will be looking very closely at will be the successor to the K-3 line. It is strange to think that the K-3 is now 5 years old, spec wise it still holds its own (24MP, 8fps, usable to ISO6400), so I am curious to see what Pentax / Ricoh will deliver in APSC format.
My Gallery

johnriley

Link Posted 02/01/2019 - 21:54
Continuing to think about this, the other lens I had been waiting for was the 17-28mm Fisheye zoom, but then I found a film era version. The SMC Pentax-F 17-28mm Fisheye Zoom is absolutely tack sharp on the K-1, so no need for the new one now.

If you can find one it's superb.
Best regards, John

peterbond

Link Posted 19/04/2019 - 13:23
Whatever happens, there won’t be enough choice. Pentax lenses are overpriced. Tamron and Sigma bring out really good lenses and then you realise there is no K mount version. Pentax owners have become second class citizens as far as lens manufacturers are concerned.
I recently became interested in some of the Lensbaby products, particularly the Velvet 56. I have since discovered that they are no longer making K mount lenses. 😡😒

JAK

Link Posted 19/04/2019 - 13:52
peterbond wrote:
Whatever happens, there won’t be enough choice. Pentax lenses are overpriced. Tamron and Sigma bring out really good lenses and then you realise there is no K mount version. Pentax owners have become second class citizens as far as lens manufacturers are concerned.
I recently became interested in some of the Lensbaby products, particularly the Velvet 56. I have since discovered that they are no longer making K mount lenses. 😡😒

Welcome to PU.
As Tamron have been making the Pentax lenses lately, if you want a Tamron, get a Pentax! Why would Tamron release a duplicate lens if it contravened an exclusivity agreement and jeopardise future releases?
I can't see that Pentax lenses are overpriced in comparison to their Canikon equivalents, do you have any evidence of that?
If you want third party lenses, look to some of the other manufacturers such as Samyang and Irix who produce lenses with a limited appeal such as their extreme wide angles.
Which lens/lenses apart from that lensbaby (and I'm sure you'll find one if you look) are you not able to obtain in K mount? Also, are we talking APS-C or full frame? If the later consider that Pentax were late to the Full Frame party but have new releases on their road map.
I'm sure Sigma are watching the market and if they feel there is commercial value in releasing K mount versions they will. for them, though, the process is more complex as the mount is quite different to Canikon. Maybe the PLM method (which is closer) will help we'll have to see, but that is a pretty new development and not supported in older Pentax's and maybe Sigma won't want to spend any money licensing it (as per usual.)
Given the wealth of fully compatible old glass along with current offerings from the Pentax stable, I can't think of any focal length that isn't available to use on a K-1 already. I really must ask again, what do you feel is missing?
If you just want something cheap to fit a Pentax, there's plenty of choice from the likes of Vivitar, Soligor, Tokina etc. availalble. While many will be second-hand, they can still be found often in mint condition at rock bottom prices in dealers and auction sites.
No, I can't agree that there is a lack of K mount glass available on the market today. As a collector, I might think totally the opposite!
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 19/04/2019 - 14:05

Algernon

Link Posted 19/04/2019 - 14:40
Lensbaby products look like very cheap rubbish and overpriced

You are a spammer and I claim my prize

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

JAK

Link Posted 19/04/2019 - 14:57
Algernon wrote:

You are a spammer and I claim my prize --

He's not spamming anything at the moment. But a strange first post though. If he is desperate for that Lensbaby there is a new one in K mount here:
https://www.grooves-inc.co.uk/lensbaby-lensbaby-velvet-pentax-lensbaby-accessories-pZZa1-2097698127.html?language=en¤cy=GBP&utm_source=froogle_gb&utm_campaign=froogle_gb&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItIKrmajc4QIVTbXtCh2jmwXEEAkYASABEgIigvD_BwE
And if new ones are still on sale, why should they be making more of them? Sell what you have and then do that.
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 19/04/2019 - 15:01

JAK

Link Posted 20/04/2019 - 13:52
Algernon wrote:

You are a spammer and I claim my prize

--

Given he hasn't returned it seems you were right after all.
Prize on its way!
John K

Lubbyman

Link Posted 20/04/2019 - 14:54
Spammer or not, if you go to the Lensbaby online shop and filter for Pentax K mount, it displays 8 lenses. Looks good so far. But click on any of them and go to 'Choose a mount' and none of them has K mount as an option. Not that I care personally, Lensbaby lenses don't interest me at all. But if I were interested, the lack of K mount would be rather annoying. Of course, it might just be a glitch on their website.

Mind your, they don't appear to make lenses for Leica mounts. I wonder if Leica owners are getting upset?

Steve

Algernon

Link Posted 20/04/2019 - 15:44
Seems to be a lot of Lensbaby activity/searching on this forum all of a sudden

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 20/04/2019 - 15:45
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.