Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

New K-S1 First Impressions...What do people think?

jules
Posted 08/09/2014 - 07:17 Link
Sorry about the above they were meant to be seperated out and the text didn't come thru either, I am having some insane Firefox problems at the moment!

Anyway the K-S1 seems to be able to take a reasonable snap?

Good detail and decent dynamics???
Cheers Jules...

My viewfinder is 576,000,000 pixels.
My other viewfinder is 5.76,000,000.

www.exaggeratedperspectives.com
Edited by jules: 08/09/2014 - 07:20
Mike-P
Posted 08/09/2014 - 10:32 Link
If that's the case then Pentax had best hurry up and put the sensor in a K3 body.
McGregNi
Posted 08/09/2014 - 10:50 Link
This seems to accelerate the trend of ever more capable sensors, high-end in fact, being used in bodies not targeted at the 'high end' sector of the market. It makes the cameras even better value - the question is, will such sensor capability & quality be wasted on the majority who might buy it?
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Edited by McGregNi: 08/09/2014 - 10:51
jules
Posted 08/09/2014 - 11:48 Link
Mike-P wrote:
If that's the case then Pentax had best hurry up and put the sensor in a K3 body.

Oh Mike there you go again!
Can I buy your DA*300 in installments???
Actually I see that sensor being in a K50 replacement, sooner rather than later...
Cheers Jules...

Mike-P
Posted 08/09/2014 - 12:55 Link
Shame there are no high ISO shots so that we can see how well it handles noise.
jules
Posted 08/09/2014 - 14:01 Link
Mike-P wrote:
Shame there are no high ISO shots so that we can see how well it handles noise.

The sensor has not seen much use as of yet, so there is not too much to go on really, it would appear to be the successor to the 16Mp chip...

Save for DR, A3000 didn't do too bad, so maybe Pentax can pull one out of the hat this time around?

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Pentax-K-3-versus-Sony-A3000...
Cheers Jules...

Edited by jules: 08/09/2014 - 14:10
davidstorm
Posted 08/09/2014 - 20:34 Link
Mike-P wrote:

I know you didn't get on with it Mike, but in my experience there's nothing wrong with that K-3 sensor. It produces superb quality images for me and I find it comfortably outperforms my K-5IIs. I'm a bit unsure why some of us are so cool on it?

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
Mike-P
Posted 08/09/2014 - 20:58 Link
davidstorm wrote:
Mike-P wrote:

I know you didn't get on with it Mike, but in my experience there's nothing wrong with that K-3 sensor. It produces superb quality images for me and I find it comfortably outperforms my K-5IIs. I'm a bit unsure why some of us are so cool on it?

Regards
David

So you have said on many many occasions David ... unfortunately it would seem there are a lot of people who do not agree with you. Personally I found it to be lacking when compared to the K-5/II/s sensor (but I don't feel the need to jump on every thread saying so)
Edited by Mike-P: 08/09/2014 - 21:02
richandfleur
Posted 08/09/2014 - 21:16 Link
McGregNi wrote:
This seems to accelerate the trend of ever more capable sensors, high-end in fact, being used in bodies not targeted at the 'high end' sector of the market. It makes the cameras even better value - the question is, will such sensor capability & quality be wasted on the majority who might buy it?

Agreed. If you're prepared to tolerate the gimmicky body then you get access to the good fundamentals. AA less used to be the domain of high end options but it's now standard on a lot of bodies for instance.

The K-30 has been knocked for not having enough external dials and knobs but it has two control wheels for example. That seems much more highly equipped than this model, so the K-S1 seems a very unusual combo of new age non WR body but with a good AA less sensor packed inside.

I'm sure I'll probably come off as knocking it, but I see Pentax's latest approach as really targeting the Asian consumer market, which clearly have different requirements to me. Pentax seem to be running on the 'no news is bad news' type approach, where they are certainly making the headlines, but for reasosn such as it has flashing LED lights in the handle. I'm not entirely convinced on the street cred benefits of that outside of Asia.

The guts of the K-S1 though do seem to lay the platform for a future K-50 replacement, and right now the K-S1 reads as a K-500 replacement.
Algernon
Posted 08/09/2014 - 21:35 Link
I love flashing leds I've even bought some USB leads
with them on....

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.