Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

New K-S1 First Impressions...What do people think?

1stEverPentax
Posted 28/08/2014 - 10:54 Link
Have started a new topic rather than piggy back on the older ones which were more speculative.

First impressions are that it could be what Pentax needs to bring in lots of younger
(20s/30s) customers many of whom will hopefully stay loyal and move up the product range. The K-x did this and I can't remember any of its successors having such a fun, exciting visual appeal to the same extent. If it handles and performs as well as it looks then it could be a massive hit.

Price is a bit high in my opinion (about £100 too high), but once all the early adopters and posers have bought theirs it should settle at about £450 body or £500 body and kit lens. It seems to 'fit' between the K50 and K5II price wise although the apparent lack of WR will always limit its appeal to established Pentax shooters who like to operate in all weathers. Hard to judge without knowing its weight whether it will feel solid and robust like the K-x or lightweight and flimsy. Had it been WR and if its weight is over 510-520g then it would carry more appeal perhaps as a second body to existing Pentax users.

Spec generally seems quite good and i'm pleased that they've included a remote operation option which is almost essential these days. Retaining the established 3" screen and class leading viewfinder was also a good move although some might have expected the screen to be articulated/hinged...it doesn't mention this so I assume it isn't.

Anyway, just my initial impressions...I won't be buying one though if it isn't WR but i hope plenty of new customers do, for the sake of the Brand.

What do other people think?

Karlo
mille19
Posted 28/08/2014 - 11:25 Link
It looks OK to me, bit too expensive but I'm sure the price will drop pretty quickly.
Mike-P
Posted 28/08/2014 - 11:48 Link
Well SRS have it listed for pre order already and priced at £549 body only. If you take into account that includes a 32gb card and a 16gb Flucard it seems a lot more reasonable.

Still not my cup of tea but I would be interested to see how the new 20MP sensor performs in it.
stub
Posted 28/08/2014 - 12:43 Link
Another false entry into the market. Hot on the heels of other very mediocre cameras over the past three years. K-30 K-50 K-500 All introduced to entice new Pentax users to the brand. All spectacularly failed. What they need in my opinion is a professional high end offering...
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..
JohnX
Posted 28/08/2014 - 13:48 Link
I find it interesting that Pentax seem to have taken down from their web-sites any reference to the new camera.
Edited by JohnX: 28/08/2014 - 13:49
jules
Posted 28/08/2014 - 14:47 Link
Bit of a marketing vid with some design team snippets thrown in...

"HOLD LIGHT IN YOUR HAND"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BU3QGowHiVE&list=UUD_djFZ1d24FKaUM237yjew

It's on Pre-order now for £599 at srs (includes kit lens, flu card, and 32gb SD card)
Cheers Jules...

My viewfinder is 576,000,000 pixels.
My other viewfinder is 5.76,000,000.

www.exaggeratedperspectives.com
Edited by jules: 28/08/2014 - 15:08
RussV
Posted 28/08/2014 - 15:11 Link
It looks good to me for a starter cum mid-range camera, like the Kr with a mixture of high end and consumer features.

The body styling will feature in future models no doubt, making the K series look boxy and old fashioned.

With regards to the comment about a needed professional body, I don't see them making anything that might tread on 645 toes.
gartmore
Posted 28/08/2014 - 15:18 Link
stub wrote:
Another false entry into the market. Hot on the heels of other very mediocre cameras over the past three years. K-30 K-50 K-500 All introduced to entice new Pentax users to the brand. All spectacularly failed. What they need in my opinion is a professional high end offering...

Stuart, can you substantiate your claim about spectacular failure?
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Pjy123
Posted 28/08/2014 - 15:48 Link
I wouldn't call the k500 mediocre it's a cracking camera I take brilliant pics with it. Ok it hasn't got af points illuminated in the view finder which is annoying but you get used to it.
wvbarnes
Posted 28/08/2014 - 16:32 Link
I had a KX and a KR as my introduction to DSLR after a Konica Minolta bridge camera the A200 and the Canon G9. I now have a K5 and will upgrade that when funds allow.

If this new model catches the eye of press and public then good. When you invest in a system you want the system to prosper so you aren't left with lenses and no current body. I do hope the follow on to the K3 keeps its good ergonomics though as this looks a step backward to my eyes. Small though which is good.

The multi colour thing seems to be a Japanese market favourite doesn't it. Shame we can't have gunmetal K3's for regular price then eh?
stub
Posted 28/08/2014 - 16:48 Link
Ken I thought it was obvious... Sales were few ( outside Asia) and all models have since been discontinued.
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..
johnriley
Posted 28/08/2014 - 17:01 Link
Older models do get discontinued all the time. What makes you think sales were few?
Best regards, John
RussV
Posted 28/08/2014 - 17:45 Link
Most Pentax cameras have a relatively short life. One to two years according to Wikipedia. That's not surprising with advances in technology all the time and a need for new products to entice buyers.
wvbarnes
Posted 28/08/2014 - 17:50 Link
RussV wrote:
Most Pentax cameras have a relatively short life. One to two years according to Wikipedia. That's not surprising with advances in technology all the time and a need for new products to entice buyers.

That's why Konica Minolta sold out to Sony their camera division. They stated a model life of as little as six to twelve months was approaching in the digital era. In the film era they had enjoyed 3 to 5 years without major change. Not a sustainable business model anymore they felt. Maybe they were right?
Mike-P
Posted 28/08/2014 - 17:55 Link
wvbarnes wrote:

That's why Konica Minolta sold out to Sony their camera division. They stated a model life of as little as six to twelve months was approaching in the digital era. In the film era they had enjoyed 3 to 5 years without major change. Not a sustainable business model anymore they felt. Maybe they were right?

At the rate Sony are releasing bodies atm I should think they are now down to a 3 month model life.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.