Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

New FA Limited lenses on the way

MattyH
Posted 05/01/2014 - 18:50 Link
Ricoh official told publicly about the "revamping" of the three FA Limited lenses, with details as follows:
- The "update" will happen soon,
- The Japanese style green "pearl" of the lens-changing mark on the existing Pentax 31 and 77 Limited lenses will be removed,
- The new lens will still be screw-driven for the AF, i.e., no SDM nor DC nor whatsoever in-lens AF motor,
- New HD lens coating will replace the old SMC one for better performance,
- Ricoh red ring will be added

Yet more Pentax I cannot afford....
DrOrloff
Posted 05/01/2014 - 19:20 Link
I would not pay for the removal of the green pearl, the addition of a red ring or for keeping the screwdrive the same. I wonder how much changing the coatings will cost. Unless it is marginal I can't see how the update can be positively marketed to the initiated. On the positive side there is no absolutely no point updating the lenses unless there is ff coming.
Algernon
Posted 05/01/2014 - 19:46 Link
Ricehigh had this story on Xmas day. Hard to understand the translation, but he did seem to confirm that a FF was still being developed and the SR was a one area they had to sort out. Also some concern over the cost of a FF..... the worth of the digital single lens reflex camera of us must be made practical.

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
McGregNi
Posted 05/01/2014 - 19:50 Link
What would be interesting to know is whether the planners at Ricoh / Pentax think they need to develop a new 'standard' zoom for a 'FF' model release, ie something like a 24-85mm, along with a new 'FF' telephoto zoom (eg: 70-300), presumably with the new coatings and revamped AF system.

This would indicate whether or not they see the FF future as something to market in a similar way to APS-C as a kit option, an option for starters - this would reflect the upwards trend in quality spoken of earlier, even for novice photographers.

Or, with no 'kit' style lenses, body only, (but probably with revamped primes available alongside, as referred to here), more as a premium upgrade for the established Pentax enthusiest or Pro.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Edited by McGregNi: 05/01/2014 - 19:53
cabstar
Posted 05/01/2014 - 20:18 Link
Sounds like an update similar to the DA lenses in 2013 could result in the old glass being cleared cheaply....
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
MattyH
Posted 05/01/2014 - 20:40 Link
Also heard there is going to be a whole new range of lenses that Pentax have invested heavily in for 2014 and will be turning the competition on its head, they will be;

The 12-24mm HD, 16-45mm HD, 17-70mm HD, 18-135mm HD, etc etc etc.....

Isn't all this a bit like taking your 30 year old Ford Fiesta for a re spray and then advertising it as a new car on Auto trader.
Algernon
Posted 05/01/2014 - 21:02 Link
What NO Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7 HD

Algi
MattyH
Posted 05/01/2014 - 21:16 Link
Algernon wrote:
What NO Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7 HD

No as it would be FF compatible.
JonSchick
Posted 05/01/2014 - 23:04 Link
Well this obviously means the old lenses are now close to worthless so if anyone wants to sell me their holy trinity for a couple of hundred quid each please form an orderly queue....
Jon

Some occasional random stuff at The Photographers Block: link
Posted 06/01/2014 - 12:05 Link
Of course, Jon. Let me just package them up...

... oh wait! With a bit of work from a small chisel (to remove the pearl) and some red paint I can upgrade them to the new models! They will be minus the new coatings, but they seem to resolve fairly well to me at the moment ;D
You will only prise my 43Ltd from my cold, dead hands...
Algernon
Posted 06/01/2014 - 12:26 Link
Ricoh are obviously reading these forums and have noticed
that Pentax users really do like to buy loads of lenses!

--

Algi
martoto
Posted 06/01/2014 - 22:07 Link
I am curious how much more, the already overly expensive FA31, would cost with the addition of a red plastic ring and HD coating?
Conqueror
Posted 11/01/2014 - 21:40 Link
So are we going to see:

FA 31mm WR HD limited
FA 43mm WR HD limited
FA 77mm WR HD limited

An FA 43mm with WR... thats a lot of punch in a small package
K-3ii
MrCynical
Posted 12/01/2014 - 21:04 Link
DrOrloff wrote:
I would not pay for the removal of the green pearl, the addition of a red ring or for keeping the screwdrive the same. I wonder how much changing the coatings will cost. Unless it is marginal I can't see how the update can be positively marketed to the initiated. On the positive side there is no absolutely no point updating the lenses unless there is ff coming.

Well they could have quick-shift focus like the DA Limiteds, and the improved digital coatings will help with the purple fringing that the FA77 in particular is prone to.
Conqueror
Posted 25/01/2014 - 20:14 Link
hmm is this where it came from?

http://ricehigh.blogspot.com/2013/12/new-rumour-three-fa-limiteds-will-be.html

Quote:
And from what I read on your blog, Rice, the Pentax had already definitively fall at least eight times ...

K-3ii

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.