Link Posted 27/06/2018 - 08:19
Doesn't it come with a FREE K-1 ?

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

smudge

Link Posted 27/06/2018 - 14:01
If it is good enough it will sell. After all the FA 31mm is not exactly cheap but many of us have bought it.
Regards, Philip

LennyBloke

Link Posted 27/06/2018 - 14:12
smudge wrote:
If it is good enough it will sell. After all the FA 31mm is not exactly cheap but many of us have bought it.

Totally agree - It's not that long ago that the K1 was released and that was significantly higher in price than the top APS-C Pentax bodies we had been using - I don't know how many of used switched/upgraded/parellelised to Full Frame but from reading the forums it appears to be a lot of us that did. I suspect that the new D-FA*50/1.4 will be bought by more than just a handful - people will pay for quality, and I suspect this lens will deliver that
LennyBloke

Algernon

Link Posted 27/06/2018 - 15:34
It's a KAF4 mount so it won't work on a K-5 (iiS)

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

McGregNi

Link Posted 27/06/2018 - 16:28
I'm only coming at it from my own perspective of course, that's with a very tight or non existent budget for photography now ...... But thinking practically I had a nifty fifty F1.8 for my Canon film SLR, and it was hardly ever used, so I gained no experience really ....

It leaves me wondering what kind of photos and what specific types of situations do people think the new 50mm D FA beast would be used for? Could it be a really useful addition for someone's real world practical photography, ot does it risk being instead a sort of trophy acquisition?
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

johnriley

Link Posted 27/06/2018 - 16:37
The 50mm lens is the "standard" lens for full frame, giving a view very similar to the human eye. It can be used for a very wide variety of subjects, is top quality and can be optically abused with close up devices and so on without it failing to deliver. If I could only have one lens of one focal length it would be a 50mm. It's interesting to check on a zoom lens how often we shoot close to 50mm.
Best regards, John

1stEverPentax

Link Posted 27/06/2018 - 16:59
Time will tell...assuming that time is on Ricoh's side.

Whatever price it comes in at it's probably true that some folk would happily pay double the asking price. There are people out there who will cheerfully stump up hundreds of pounds purely for a blue Zeiss badge or red Leica badge...but Pentax doesn't really have that cachet to attract enough of those big spenders and as Nigel asks 'is it really a solution to a dire need'?

Then there's the size and weight...compared to its predecessors it is very heavy and quite large. The lens with hood weighs 955g, add this to the weight of a K-1 and you will be lugging around 4.3lb in imperial...it's more of a studio or landscape with tripod, kind of lens.

And an almost dead cert is that if you hold off buying one until the pre Christmas promotions (double, triple discount) you'll probably save about £200!
Last Edited by 1stEverPentax on 27/06/2018 - 17:01

pschlute

Link Posted 27/06/2018 - 17:01
Back in the good old days 50mm primes were the workhorses of a photog's kit because zooms just didn't cut it optically by comparison. Today a 24-70 zoom produces great results so the need for a "standard" prime is almost non-existent.

Pentax have done the right thing here I think. They have invested time and money into producing what I expect to be a superlative lens. It will be bought by those who will get the best out of it as well as those who just like to brag about their kit. I actually don't care what the motives are for purchasing it as long as it brings financial success to Ricoh/Pentax at a time when it is sorely needed.

We have seen countless posts on a number of Pentax forums ever since the K1 was released asking "where are the primes?". If nothing else this should shut up the whingers.

ps. yes I will buy it.
Peter

My Flickr page

RobL

Link Posted 27/06/2018 - 17:58
Did anyone else try one out at TPS? Hard to test in such an environment but the focus was very quick and quiet, and maybe because I am used to the 24-70mm it didnít feel especially heavy. With the K1 and mark II it should be exceptionally good in lower light levels where you would use a tripod anyway; I am struggling to think where I would justify this lens but then I donít do much in the way of studio work. I do recall when the 645Z MF came out it was targeted specifically at the wedding market so I wonder whether this lens is similarly intended for interior and outside wedding shots.

1stEverPentax

Link Posted 27/06/2018 - 19:00
pschlute wrote:
Back in the good old days 50mm primes were the workhorses of a photog's kit because zooms just didn't cut it optically by comparison. Today a 24-70 zoom produces great results so the need for a "standard" prime is almost non-existent.

Very good point.

LennyBloke

Link Posted 27/06/2018 - 22:06
1stEverPentax wrote:
pschlute wrote:

Very good point.

True - but the ultra-thin depth of field that will be possible with the 1.4 cannot be achieved with a 24-70 and although zooms have improved massively I suspect the IQ and edge to edge sharpness of the newly designed 50/1.4 will distinguish it again from a zoom.

The truth of it is that either lens will still probably out-perform my capabilities
LennyBloke

pschlute

Link Posted 27/06/2018 - 23:34
LennyBloke wrote:
1stEverPentax wrote:
Quote:

Very good point.

True - but the ultra-thin depth of field that will be possible with the 1.4 cannot be achieved with a 24-70 and although zooms have improved massively I suspect the IQ and edge to edge sharpness of the newly designed 50/1.4 will distinguish it again from a zoom.

If you re-read my posts on this thread you will see that I am arguing the same thing as you. My point here is that there is no need anymore for a "standard" or "normal" 50mm lens, the zooms have taken over. The lens we are eagerly awaiting will be very far removed from a "standard" lens of the past. Pentax are to be congratulated for going down this route in my opinion.
Peter

My Flickr page

MrB

Link Posted 28/06/2018 - 00:56
LennyBloke wrote:

The truth of it is that either lens will still probably out-perform my capabilities

That certainly applies to me and it's one of the main reasons that I'm not interested in the K-1 or its monster lenses, along with the reality that, as I get older, I don't want to carry around such size and weight.

However, I'm very happy that Ricoh/Pentax are continuing their development in these areas, both for those that are interested, and for the benefits that must filter down the line into their more manageable and affordable products, as a result of the technical knowledge and capability that the company must be gaining during the development process.

Cheers.
Philip

robbiec

Link Posted 28/06/2018 - 08:25
I want one! Anyone know when SRS have stock arriving?
My Gallery

LennyBloke

Link Posted 28/06/2018 - 09:09
robbiec wrote:
I want one! Anyone know when SRS have stock arriving?

"about a month away"
LennyBloke
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.