New 35mm f1.4 MF lens from Sanyang

brightstone

Link Posted 11/10/2010 - 19:44

just noticed a news about Sanyang 35mm f1.4 lens annouced to be released in Feb 2011. it will available in Pentax KA Mount. with the success of 85mm f/1.4 branded in many names(sanyang, falcon...etc.), it seems a competitive alternatvie to pentax users.

Retail Price seems 289 euro.
Pentax K-5: Pentax Da 12-24mm + DA17-70mm+ DA*50-135mm + DA55-300mm + FA 28mm + FA35mm + FA77mmltd
in search for Pentax MF optics

Dangermouse

Link Posted 11/10/2010 - 22:37
I suspect they may struggle against the DA 35mm f2.4. Yes this is faster, but it's more expensive and it's also manual focus.

What I can't fathom is why other brand forums seem to have an almost visceral hatred of Samyang lenses, even when people here are producing very good results with them.
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.

JonSchick

Link Posted 11/10/2010 - 22:51
Dangermouse wrote:
I suspect they may struggle against the DA 35mm f2.4. Yes this is faster, but it's more expensive and it's also manual focus.

What I can't fathom is why other brand forums seem to have an almost visceral hatred of Samyang lenses, even when people here are producing very good results with them.

Agree - my experience with the 85/1.4 suggests that it is astonishingly good value for the money,and this 35mm lens also seems to be very competititvely priced at about 250. I think the biggest issue apart from brand and manual focus may be bulk - with a 77mm filter thread this must be pretty huge compared to Pentax's own offerings at the same focal length. It's closest competitor may be the Sigma 30/1.4 - which is significantly smaller and arguably a more useful focal length.

Reuben0

Link Posted 12/10/2010 - 07:45
JonSchick wrote:
I think the biggest issue apart from brand and manual focus may be bulk - with a 77mm filter thread this must be pretty huge compared to Pentax's own offerings at the same focal length. It's closest competitor may be the Sigma 30/1.4 - which is significantly smaller and arguably a more useful focal length.

This lens is going to be of more interest to the FF crowd (indeed it's a Nikon version shown in the picture above), where there have been a rash of 35/1.4 offerings recently. All of which are hugely expensive (1.5k ish), so 250 seems very reasonable in comparison

R

brightstone

Link Posted 13/10/2010 - 21:06
it could be cheaper on market than the release price, i guess. as far as i remember, the 85mm is a good performer, not far behind Zeiss 85mm. the Nikon&Canon full frame users are probably their main target.
Pentax K-5: Pentax Da 12-24mm + DA17-70mm+ DA*50-135mm + DA55-300mm + FA 28mm + FA35mm + FA77mmltd
in search for Pentax MF optics

Dangermouse

Link Posted 14/10/2010 - 00:09
My cynical streak suspects that it will be cheaper if there's a competitively-priced lens from another brand. Nobody else offers an 85mm prime for anything like the Samyang price, same goes for the 8mm fisheye. If they thought they were losing sales to the DA 35mm f2.4 they'd probably drop the price to around 180.
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.