New! Pentax HD D-FA 24-70mm F2.8 SDM WR

Chris@SRSWATFORD

Link Posted 24/09/2015 - 23:10
Hi all,

We are pleased to announce that the new Pentax HD D-FA 24-70mm F2.8 SDM WR lens is now available to pre-order.

Stocks will be available from October.

Pentax HD D-FA 24-70mm F2.8 SDM WR

We are offering 100 discount for pre-orders from forum members! Please mention your forum 'name' when ordering and the discount will be applied. No payment is taken until the lenses are available for dispatch.

As usual, please ask if you have any questions.
For all things Pentax please visit www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk - anything not listed please email or call!

Follow us on Facebook

Mike-P

Link Posted 25/09/2015 - 08:28
Hmmm, I see Ricoh are sticking with SDM and it's not * designated either ... will be interesting to see how the focus speed compares with the other lenses.

I'm torn between waiting to see how this performs or using the 10% voucher that has just sent to me and snapping up one of the Sigma 24-70mm lenses you have on Ebay at the moment.
. My Flickr

Chris@SRSWATFORD

Link Posted 25/09/2015 - 08:46
I've seen some charts about performance and it's significantly better than the old FA* 28-70mm. It also compares very favourably with the Canon and Nikon equivalents too. It's also a 'different' type of SDM.

Saying that, it makes my current offering on the Sigma seem like quite a good proposition price-wise!
For all things Pentax please visit www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk - anything not listed please email or call!

Follow us on Facebook

wvbarnes

Link Posted 25/09/2015 - 10:41
It does look incredibly like a same spec and size Tamron available for Canon & Nikon for half the price. What have Ricoh added I wonder to double the price other than their own lens coating? The camera bodies are very competetive these days but not new lenses, it seems.

andy_bell

Link Posted 25/09/2015 - 10:50
According to one of the "other" forums it is a rebranded Tamron, with the addition of Pentax coatings, keeping the Tamron motor......

http://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/pentax-news/hd-pentax-d-fa-24-70mm-f28-ed-s...
A few bits & Bobs

RobL

Link Posted 25/09/2015 - 10:59
andy_bell wrote:
According to one of the "other" forums it is a rebranded Tamron, with the addition of Pentax coatings, keeping the Tamron motor......

http://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/pentax-news/hd-pentax-d-fa-24-70mm-f28-ed-s...

I am highly dubious of these claims of a Tamron clone; firstly why would Pentax, which is in the process of reviving its reputation for great lenses, risk that with an inferior quality manufacturer? Second, if there is a tie-up with Tamron why has that company just dropped the K-mount from it's new products? Surely Tamron would just market their own K-mount version of their lens.

ilovesaabs

Link Posted 25/09/2015 - 11:24
Would have to have a silver version to tempt me away from the FA*

First priority would be D-FA150-450 to replace the Sigma ...
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff

McGregNi

Link Posted 25/09/2015 - 11:30
What matters most, surely, is the combination of features and performance to be expected, not where it all comes from. So many products these days include design and components from multiple makers anyway .... It's the end result, the total package, that matters ultimately. If Pentax have managed to create an effective combination of elements and the price is worth it, then that's going to be worthwhile.

I think I'd be quite attracted to Tamrons 'different' SDM , (assuming that's where it comes from) ...
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

wvbarnes

Link Posted 25/09/2015 - 11:31
Following that logic we'd have been able to buy Tokina joint ventures the same over the years. Example link (Tokina of course did a motorised MK II unlike Pentax)I would think it highly likely that a deal is done with Tamron not to undercut the Pentax assembled designs. The low volumes would have made them happy to comply.

The last time we had such was of course with Samsung K mounts badged as Schneider-Kreuznach but actually made alongside the Pentax lenses in their usual factory. The Schneider name was just licenced to make them sound good. My understanding is patenting lens designs is expensive so these joint ventures have always happened. There is a lovely huge list on Wikipedia of all this. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentax_K-mount

The clear thing out of this is I'll not be able to remotely afford, as a retired person and an amateur photograher rarely getting paid for my hobby, the new full frame era for several years until prices come down dramatically, new or used.

RobL wrote:
andy_bell wrote:

I am highly dubious of these claims of a Tamron clone; firstly why would Pentax, which is in the process of reviving its reputation for great lenses, risk that with an inferior quality manufacturer? Second, if there is a tie-up with Tamron why has that company just dropped the K-mount from it's new products? Surely Tamron would just market their own K-mount version of their lens.

Last Edited by wvbarnes on 25/09/2015 - 11:46

WobblyGoblin

Link Posted 25/09/2015 - 11:51
It does look suspiciously similar to the Tamron. In that case the price seems very high. I'll be very interested to see comparisons of performance against the Tamron although cross-camera comparisons will never give the full picture. Should be a good indication of whether it is really worth so much of a premium though.
You will only prise my 43Ltd from my cold, dead hands...

fritzthedog

Link Posted 25/09/2015 - 11:59
RobL wrote:
why would Pentax, which is in the process of reviving its reputation for great lenses, risk that with an inferior quality manufacturer? .

Inferior? If it is made by Tamron and if it is nearly as good as their 70-200 2.8 - it would be a stunningly good lens.

Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more

Algernon

Link Posted 25/09/2015 - 12:09
Have VW produced any test figures yet?

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

Unlocker

Link Posted 25/09/2015 - 12:28
From what I can find out online, it was designed by an ex-pentax employee and uses Tamron's ring focussing systems, so there shouldn't be any image quality concerns or hopefully 'SDM' issues.

It does seem to be very confusingly positioned though:-

It's HD but has a green ring not a red one.

It's not a star lens.

In the US both the Tamron and Pentax equivalent are the same $1299 price (B&H)

In the UK the Tamron is 675 and the Pentax 1149 (SRS) ~70% more expensive.

WebsiteBlogGearTwitterFacebook

McGregNi

Link Posted 25/09/2015 - 12:36
It's a new opportunity for Pentax ..... The first ever low emission zoom lens.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

fritzthedog

Link Posted 25/09/2015 - 12:56
Algernon wrote:
Have VW produced any test figures yet?

--

Taken during the test

Taken after the test

Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.