ND shenanigans

QuestionableCarrot

Link Posted 09/10/2013 - 22:13
Guys

As some of you may have already seen I am using cheap ND filters at the moment for my landscapes and whilst they are cheap and doing the job the colours are letting me down.

What I would like are some recommendations on Kit and ND filters.

Whats a good started ND kit with a couple of filters and EVERYTHING, holder/rings etc.. I cant say i understand the lingo so hopefully someone call help!

Would this be good? But where is the holder for it etc?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hitech-Neutral-Density-Graduated-Soft/dp/B00518HX38/ref=...

Cheers
Learn how to live and you'll know how to die; learn how to die, and you'll know how to live.

Check out ones photographs on Flickr!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/awprentice/
Last Edited by QuestionableCarrot on 09/10/2013 - 22:15

davidstorm

Link Posted 09/10/2013 - 22:16
I would recommend a Hitech set of 0.3, 0.6 and 0.9 ND Grads. Depending on your lenses, 85mm ones may be OK, but if you have some lenses that are prone to vignetting (dark halo around the edge with some filters) you may need 100mm ones. If you can get away with 85mm (I find these fine) you can buy a cheap Cokin A type filter holder with a large selection of rings from ebay for about a tenner. All in, the kit will cost you about 65, money well spent.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

QuestionableCarrot

Link Posted 10/10/2013 - 10:21
It's the 18 55 kit lens David with a few to getting the sigma 10 20. Can you advise what would work?

Thanks
Learn how to live and you'll know how to die; learn how to die, and you'll know how to live.

Check out ones photographs on Flickr!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/awprentice/

davidstorm

Link Posted 10/10/2013 - 11:36
Hi Alistair

The 85mm ones will be fine with the 18-55. I'm not sure about the Sigma 10-20 as I don't own one so haven't tested it. I do have a Pentax 12-24 and had to cut down the filter holder on that so it only had 2 slots instead of 3, because it stuck out too far forwards and caused some vignetting with that lens and also with the DA17-70. It's fine with the 85mm filters now I've cut it down.

The problem with 100mm filters is the cost - they are quite expensive. What I would recommend is to go on ebay and buy a 85mm Cokin A type holder (Chinese ones are fine and only cost a few quid). Try this on your lenses before buying the filters and if no vignetting occurs, go for the 85mm filters.

Regards
David
Flickr

Daniel Bridge

Link Posted 10/10/2013 - 23:09
Surely it's the P-Type system you need, not the A-type.

Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...

davidstorm

Link Posted 10/10/2013 - 23:12
Daniel Bridge wrote:
Surely it's the P-Type system you need, not the A-type.

Dan

You're right Dan, I made a mistake. It is Cokin-P I was meaning to say, thanks for the correction.

Regards
David
Flickr

Last Edited by davidstorm on 10/10/2013 - 23:13
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.