My new Sigma 105mm 2.8 Ex Macro

Spad

Link Posted 09/07/2022 - 12:01
Well... what can iI say... apart from WOW!! This is a superb lens and surprisingly versatile one to!

I'll be honest the macro side of things is pretty much new to me. It's not something I have dabbled in a great deal but that is about to change!!!

It's also been good going back to old school MF, something I haven't done for a long time!

One question I have to ask in regard to macro is - The diopter meter.... is it better to set it my actual eye or with my glasses on??

Here are a few pics from the last few days of playing with it.

At the beggining there was nothing....

Which exploded....
Last Edited by Spad on 09/07/2022 - 12:21

Lubbyman

Link Posted 09/07/2022 - 13:48
Ah, you've got soldier beetles. I saw my first one of the year yesterday, probably the first of many. If you want a real challenge, try to photograph it in flight. The trick is to be able to spot it preparing to take off, focus quickly then press the shutter button before you see it in flight. By the time the shutter fires, the beetle will probably be in the air. If you're lucky, it will still be in the frame and in focus. Expect lots of failures. But when it works, you'll forget the frustration and failures!

Glasses on or off? Do whatever seems best to you. I leave glasses (varifocals) on and adjust the dioptre for where I usually look through the lens (i.e. the one in the specs). Some people prefer to take their glasses off.

It sounds like you've spotted that macro is a whole new world, not just in technique but also in what's in that world and what you see. Keep playing, keep learning, there's always something new to see and do!

Steve

pentaxian450

Link Posted 09/07/2022 - 16:04
I almost always set mine with glasses on, the reason being that I can take a picture without having to worry where to put my glasses. It also allows me to react faster when something unexpected happens. The downside is that it is more difficult to see the whole frame. But, so far, it works for me.

However, if I'm shouting a planned event (like a portrait session), I prefer shouting without my glasses on. It is more "comfortable".
Yves (another one of those crazy Canucks)

Spad

Link Posted 09/07/2022 - 16:15
I normally shoot with me glasses on.... but was curious if it's better with or without for macro shooting....

Which exploded....

johnriley

Link Posted 09/07/2022 - 17:08
It depends on what you would normally wear (or not) when to shoot the image. Being short sighted I wear glasses all the time, so adjust the dioptre accordingly. However, when doing macro shoots and focusing very close I often take the glasses off, but then tend to use a tripod and LiveView.
Best regards, John

davidwozhere

Link Posted 09/07/2022 - 17:53
Using the viewfinder I take specs off but with tripod and live view I put them on (coz I can't see otherwise!).
Must get one of those lenses so I can try it with the F series AF adapter.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link
Last Edited by davidwozhere on 09/07/2022 - 17:55

Spad

Link Posted 10/07/2022 - 12:36
Lubbyman wrote:
Ah, you've got soldier beetles. I saw my first one of the year yesterday, probably the first of many. If you want a real challenge, try to photograph it in flight.

It was trying to find one on its own... they all seemed to be shagging. It was a red orgy on flowers!!!

Which exploded....

Spad

Link Posted 11/07/2022 - 15:36
I have just ordered a Pentax DA Fish-Eye 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED!!!

Can't wait!!

Which exploded....
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.