Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

My Favorite Focal Length for Studio Fashion

benjikan
Posted 09/08/2010 - 17:08 Link
Everyone I know in the business have their preferences regarding focal lengths for different applications. I tend to work quite a bit shorter than most when it comes to working in closed quarters in a studio environment. I specify this for a reason. Studio work is a fixed space that you set up lights in and know what those dimensions are for the whole day of the shoot. Unlike interior location shoots where you often have to change settings and adapt your focal lengths to the circumstances.

It is for this reason, that I often find myself using a wide angle zoom in non studio environments. My focal length of choice in 75% of my studio shoots is around 60-75mm i.e. 40-50mm in the 1.5 ratio APS-C sensor cameras. But I tend to shoot closer to the former. I have read on several forums that the majority of shooters tend to shoot quite a bit longer i.e. 90-120mm i.e. 60-80mm 1.5 ration APS-C sensor cameras. I find that getting in closer to the model, allows you to communicate on a different level which in my opinion is more immediate. I am also not that fond of (at least at this juncture in time) that compressed long focal length look. All of the major brands have focal lengths that fill this criteria.

I have on occasion shot shorter than the above at around 30mm (45mm) APS-C, with very pleasing results, but for this focal length I need to work in studio's with very high ceilings, as I more often than not am sitting or lying on the floor when shooting. I also need the much larger seamless when using this wider focal length or just work off of a bare studio cyclo wall.

Shooting at these shorter focal lengths most certainly have a distinctively modern edgy look about them (at least for now)...So don't be afraid to experiment with shorter than the recommended norm for fashion work. It may give you a bit of the edge to stand out from the rest of the very highly populated crowd.

Would love to get your feedback...

http://www.benjaminkanarekblog.com/gdj
timbo
Posted 09/08/2010 - 19:10 Link
I would have to agree with Benjamin, I virtually have my Tamron 17-50mm glued to my K-7, for indoors and location shoots.

It's just so flexible, and you are just the right distance from the model, close enough to communicate, but not that close you are producing distortions or invading the models space.
benjikan
Posted 09/08/2010 - 19:41 Link
timbo wrote:
I would have to agree with Benjamin, I virtually have my Tamron 17-50mm glued to my K-7, for indoors and location shoots.

It's just so flexible, and you are just the right distance from the model, close enough to communicate, but not that close you are producing distortions or invading the models space.

Nice lens the Tamron...I have always loved Tamron stuff. I was a major junkie for the 28-75 when I was shooting Canon. Oh and let's not forget their 90 Macro...Wow!!!
Anvh
Posted 09/08/2010 - 20:06 Link
Doesn't it depends on how close your framing is which focal length would be the best?

Like many already have said in other discussion about this and you also says, there seems to be a distance that's comfortable to work in.
Not too far from the model or else it feels so distance and not too close because it would be too much in your face, I mean with those both the photos and for the models feeling.
The focal lengths you state I feel are just about right for most subjects but for "full body" you could imagine to go even wider like you say 30mm but for a closer head shoulders I would be more tempted to use something over 70mm to not get too close to the model.
That's just me thought and I don't have a lot off experience with portrait photography so would be interesting what your answer would be, I'm sure I can learn from it .
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
benjikan
Posted 10/08/2010 - 12:59 Link
Anvh wrote:
Doesn't it depends on how close your framing is which focal length would be the best?

Like many already have said in other discussion about this and you also says, there seems to be a distance that's comfortable to work in.
Not too far from the model or else it feels so distance and not too close because it would be too much in your face, I mean with those both the photos and for the models feeling.
The focal lengths you state I feel are just about right for most subjects but for "full body" you could imagine to go even wider like you say 30mm but for a closer head shoulders I would be more tempted to use something over 70mm to not get too close to the model.
That's just me thought and I don't have a lot off experience with portrait photography so would be interesting what your answer would be, I'm sure I can learn from it .

Here is a sample of a close up imge shot at around 24mm i.e. 36mm in FF...

http://www.pbase.com/benjikan/image/90569372
Anvh
Posted 10/08/2010 - 16:23 Link
That's a very hard shot to judge because it seems you have taken it in a mirror so your distance to the model is different then.
This an easier from you to examine if you don't mind link
It has a closer framing but you still only used 45mm, right in the middle of the range you mostly used. It looks very good no doubt about that and more intimate then what you get with longer lenses.
How far did you stand away from her, around the 1,5 metre maybe?
I don't think you can use a much wider angle for such a photo because you will intrude her "space" so to say and that's what I mean.

How do your models react when they notice you're standing closer to her then most other photographers, does it work positively and how close can you get before it becomes negative?
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Edited by Anvh: 10/08/2010 - 16:24
gartmore
Posted 10/08/2010 - 17:54 Link
Funnily enough I seem to have settled on the Pentax-F 50mm f1.7 in the studio. My studio is quite big at 1200 sq. ft. so I can easily use long lenses and I totally agree with you about losing contact with the model when you're too far away. With a ceiling height of about 12ft very wide lenses really aren't an option.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.