My disaster/nightmare lens story...

alig

Link Posted 13/08/2011 - 11:20
Here is my disaster/nightmare story...

(I have kept all names of companies/people out of this, as it is still ongoing, but needed to let off steam and tell someone! )

My DA*60-250mm lens was playing up, I don't use it a lot, so when I needed it, took it out my bag and the focus was waaaay off.

So I sent it for repair, under warranty... just!

2 months later it was sent back, needed a few different parts, had to wait for them to be sent etc, but was kept well up to date through e-mail, which was good.

I opened the parcel last Thursday... funny lens not in original box that I had sent it in.

It was in a plain brown undamaged box filled with polystyrene worms/snake things.

The lens was wrapped in 2 bubble wrap 'envelopes', 'floating' amongst the polystyrene.

As I lifted the lens out, there was this horrible noise, like something loose. I gulped...

I opened it up, the noise was loose glass!

I gently opened the cap, glass fell out, my filter was shattered, there was glass everywhere, all over cap mechanism, over front element and a few dents on barrel too!

GUTTED...

The short of it is, they had forgot to re-box the lens, box was still on technicians desk, inadequately packaged, broken filter, split cap, small dents/chips on end of lens barrel, all this on my prinstine mint lens.

I am getting the lens picked up by carriers, taken back to the managers, sorted, checked and hopefully returned asap.

If the force was bad enough to smash all that, what will it have done to the internals?

The company have been great, my wife was surprised how calm I have been, adding she would have been going ballistic! maybe it's just not set in yet!

I can't fault the company's response and helpfulness, but I'm still gutted.

If they had just sent it back in the original packaging... if only.

Sorry for the long posting!

Thanks
Cheers

Ali

ist* DS & Ricoh GR

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 13/08/2011 - 11:48
You are right to stay calm... getting 'aeriated' will not help you or ease the situation (although it would be understandable if you did fly off the handle in the circumstances ). The technicians have ballsed up and you must calmly insist they replace the lens. With a bit of luck you might end up with a brand new, sealed, boxed lens. Not actually such a bad outcome!
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
Last Edited by Pentaxophile on 13/08/2011 - 11:52

johnriley

Link Posted 13/08/2011 - 12:36
Yes, I'd go for them giving you a new one. They can sort out the costs with their own insurers in the fullness of time.
Best regards, John

stub

Link Posted 13/08/2011 - 13:04
Yes I agree wholeheartedly with John. I would now be asking them to replace it.
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..

Mike-P

Link Posted 13/08/2011 - 13:04
While you have my sympathy and I know none of this is in anyway your fault .. why would you leave a filter on the lens when sending it off for service/repair?

Anyway, on the bright side you should get a brand new lens with another 2 year warranty

alig wrote:

I gently opened the cap, glass fell out, my filter was shattered, there was glass everywhere, all over cap mechanism, over front element and a few dents on barrel too!

There are quite a few arguments on different forums as to why you should/not use a filter on lenses and this is my main reason for not using them.
. My Flickr

Don

Link Posted 13/08/2011 - 13:45
that is why they have insurance, no reputable company would refuse to replace your lens under these circumstances.
best of luck to you.
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

techno-terminator

Link Posted 13/08/2011 - 13:47
eeeeeeeeeeeeeek

What a nasty tale . Agreed - think you should ask for a new one too - after all if you had dropped it at home and made such a mess the chances are that you insurers would have replaced it
let the education continue

proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs

Don

Link Posted 13/08/2011 - 13:53
techno-terminator wrote:
eeeeeeeeeeeeeek

What a nasty tale . Agreed - think you should ask for a new one too - after all if you had dropped it at home and made such a mess the chances are that you insurers would have replaced it

even if he dropped at home, himself PRIOR to opening it, the problem would be how THEY packaged it! lol!
but I do get what you're saying... insurance is good, but it is even better when the other party has to pay the deductable!

alig

Link Posted 13/08/2011 - 14:57
Thanks for all the replies.

The more I think about it... too right! As techno-t says above, if I had dropped the lens, my insurers would be paying out.

I did notice it made a funny mechanical gear noise when zooming from 60-100mm.

I will put this all down on paper and send off with the lens on Tuesday.

Do I just come straight out and ask for a new one? Or what's the best way to word it?

Mike-P wrote:
While you have my sympathy and I know none of this is in anyway your fault .. why would you leave a filter on the lens when sending it off for service/repair?

There are quite a few arguments on different forums as to why you should/not use a filter on lenses and this is my main reason for not using them.

To be honest Mike, it didn't even cross my mind to remove the filter.

It's been on from day one, as I always thought it was best for protection, but...! and yes I've read the topics about leaving them on/off.

This may make me change my mind!

Do other members keep filters on or off?

Cheers
Cheers

Ali

ist* DS & Ricoh GR

Don

Link Posted 13/08/2011 - 15:01
I never use a filter unless there is a reason for it. The best protection for filters is the cases they are shipped in, and the best protection for lenses is a rigid lens hood.... and careful handling.

and yes, take the time to write down every detail, and ask for a replacement. Paper trails are your friend.
Last Edited by Don on 13/08/2011 - 15:01

alig

Link Posted 13/08/2011 - 15:08
Thanks Don, I always use a hood too. Looks like a case of 'belt & braces' overkill.

I have e-mailed the company images of the damage too.
Cheers

Ali

ist* DS & Ricoh GR

Don

Link Posted 13/08/2011 - 15:16
alig wrote:
Thanks Don, I always use a hood too. Looks like a case of 'belt & braces' overkill.

I have e-mailed the company images of the damage too.

it is a crapshoot there are people with stories where the filter saves the lens... problem for me is that there are just as many if not more stories like yours where the filter doesn't save the lens or worse causes damage... then you're out a lens and a filter!

JohnX

Link Posted 13/08/2011 - 15:24
Filter off - unless I'm using it for it's purpose (Polariser) - and hood on.

johnriley

Link Posted 13/08/2011 - 15:42
As regards what do you say, I suggest you first tell them what you want (new lens) and why, simply and with no unecessary details. No threats, just the facts. Enclose copies of any relevant paperwork, including printouts of e-mails.

If they don't pay ball, then the small claims process might be the way to go, but too early to even mention that to them. If you do need this process then www.adviceguide.org.uk is a good place to start.

Don't forget to give them 7 or maybe 14 days to reply at each stage and to ask them in all letters to reply within this time scale.

Hope that helps!
Best regards, John

Helpful

Frogfish

Link Posted 13/08/2011 - 17:31
Whatever they can repair removing the dents from the lens is not going to be one of them, reason enough right there I would have thought for a replacement (it will greatly affect it's resale value). However the fact that extensive damage seems to have been done may mean other unseen damage inside, e.g. detached elements maybe. I'd insist on a replacement not a repair.
http://frogfish.smugmug.com/ Pentax. Pentax DA*300/4, Cosina 55/1.2, Lens Baby Composer Pro & Edge 80, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.