MF lens Instructions for my daughter

gregmoll

Link Posted 16/10/2009 - 06:28
Hi,

I've posted off three type M lenses to my daughter in Hertford, and have drawn up a set of instructions for her on how to use the manual focus lenses with her K200D.

Now, not being an expert I would like to have someone review these notes for accuracy and clarity before I give her the wrong information.

Is anyone prepared to read them and do any corrections before I send them off.

Regards
Greg

noddywithoutbigears

Link Posted 16/10/2009 - 07:52
I own a K200D and use the M series lenses all the time, so if it reads like this you're on the right track:

Switch function dial to M
Switch to MF on the front of the body
Switch SR on
Turn on
Input focal lenght of the lens in the menu, click OK
Menu screen tells you're in maual mode
Set aperture on lens
Focus
Press little green button on top of the body which sets shutter speed
Then press shutter and BOOM perfectly exposed pictures everytime(well not always, but hey ho)

I do find the M series lenses to tend to produce very consistent results at stop down metering.

Hope this helps.
A poor life this, if full of care,

We have no time to stand and stare. W.H Davies
Last Edited by noddywithoutbigears on 16/10/2009 - 07:57

George Lazarette

Link Posted 16/10/2009 - 07:55
Why not post them here?

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

mikew

Link Posted 16/10/2009 - 08:11
Don't you have to enable use of aperture ring or something?

Mike
---------------------------------------------------

You can see some of my shots at my Flickr account.

noddywithoutbigears

Link Posted 16/10/2009 - 08:16
mikew wrote:
Don't you have to enable use of aperture ring or something?

Mike

Sorry Mike I'd forgot about that one, yes before all of the above you need to do the following in the menu:

Scroll across to Custom Settings
Scroll down to 23. "Using Aperture Ring" and set to No. 2 "Permitted"

Job done you can now use manual lenses.
A poor life this, if full of care,

We have no time to stand and stare. W.H Davies

gregmoll

Link Posted 16/10/2009 - 08:21
Here are my notes, very long.

NOTES ON USING “M” TYPE MANUAL LENSES ON THE PENTAX K200D
VERY BASIC MODE.

LENS TYPE EXPLANATION
There are basically five types of manual lenses used on Pentax K200D cameras.

Namely
PENTAX LENSES
M42 Screw Mount –
The aperture can only be changed by turning the aperture ring.

M42 Screw Mount – Auto –
This has a thin pin sticking out of the back of the lens mount which when pressed opens and closes the aperture and a switch which reads :Auto” Manual” You can only move this “Auto” switch when the lens is attached to the camera as there is a second small pin which must be depressed by the mounting flange.

Pentax K Mount –
The aperture can only be changed by turning the aperture ring.

Pentax K Mount – M –
type lens. This has a flat lever sticking out of the back of the lens mount which opens and closes the aperture when moved backwards and forwards.

Pentax K Mount – A –
type lens. This looks like a “M” type lens and also has a flat lever sticking out of the back of the lens mount which opens and closes the aperture when moved backwards and forwards but to the left of the smallest aperture setting there is an “A” setting which can be selected by pressing the small button adjacent to the “A” mark and turning the aperture ring to the “A” position, it then locks into position, if you do not select “A” then the lens behaves like a “M” mount lens except for the difference noted below.

The difference between an “A” and “M” type lens is in the amount that the aperture opens and closes in relation to the setting levers movement and this affects the automatic Shutter Speed setting of the camera when metering using the green button. The camera can read the preset F Stop on “A” lens when set to “A” and will display the “f “ stop reading on the top LCD panel and in the view finder, all the other types of manual lenses will only show a – (dash)

The “A” mount is the most desirable type of manual lens to buy as apart from auto focus it is fully automatic and the exposure evaluation is fairly accurate.

Each type of lens requires a slightly different procedure in setting the exposure values.

THIRD PARTY K MOUNT LENSES, e.g. Sigma
Their mount type can be identified by comparing their physical characteristics with the above descriptions and checking for the “A” position on the aperture ring.

This explanation will only cover the use of M type lenses and A type lenses with the “A” setting disabled, if you ever get your hands on a M42 or “A” lens we can go into further detail. The main difference between the two is in the use of the aperture ring and the metering

CAMERA SET-UP
Before you can use the K200D with manual lenses there are a number of changes you must make to the cameras default set-up. This applies to all the different types of manual lenses and once done correctly does not require changing.

Go to:-
MENU - CUSTOM SETTINGS -

Menu item 14, Green button in Manual, select “2” Tv Shift.
Now when you press the Green button the camera shuts down the aperture to the setting you have pre-selected on the lens and takes a light reading through the lens and then sets the shutter speed to suit the lens opening that it finds.

Menu item 22, Catch-in focus, select “2” On, enabled.
Now if the AF/MF switch on the front of the camera is set to AF with a manual lens attached the camera it will only allow the shutter to trip if it can confirm that the subject is in focus. This has disadvantages under low light conditions and can be overridden by switching back to the MF setting on the front of camera.

Menu item 23, Using aperture ring, select “2” Permitted

Save these settings and close the menu.

TAKING THE PICTURE
Remember this procedure is only for “M” type lenses. we can discuss the other types when you get them.

Select the lens you want to use and if it’s an “A” type take it off the “A” setting by pressing the small button on the lens before turning the aperture ring away from “A” by doing this you have effectively changed the lens back to an “M” type.

Attach the lens to the camera.

Set the program dial on the camera to M Mode.

Switch on Shake Reduction if you want to use it.

Switch on the camera.

If you have Shake Reduction turned on it will display a screen asking for the focal length of the attached manual lens, enter the focal length of the lens.

Set the ISO.

Set the white balance to suit the current conditions.

Pre-set the aperture ring to a setting which will give you the depth of field you require, the diaphragm will not close down.
Focus roughly on the subject.

Half press the shutter button to activate the meter.

Press Green button there will be a sound as the camera shuts the diaphragm down, the viewfinder will darken and it will now select the appropriate shutter speed, check the shutter speed selected and if it’s too slow open up the lens and repress the green button until you arrive at a suitable speed for the current conditions.

Focus on the subject., if there is enough light the green hexagonal focus confirmation light in the viewfinder will light up and the camera will give the focus confirmation beep. Do not think that the small red square in the viewfinder is the focus confirmation indicator, this only indicate the point that the camera is using to check focus, you must see the green hexagonal.

If you have selected “Shake Reduction SR” Check that the “SR” green hand is showing in the viewfinder.

Take the photo.

Inspect the histogram and if there is clipping correct the exposure up or down by adjusting the shutter speed using the E-Dial or by changing the f stop.

DO NOT PRESS THE GREEN BUTTON AGAIN, you will delete the adjustments you have just made.

Take the photo again and see if the exposure is correct..

NOTES
Here are some links to sites which taught me all I know about the subject, remember that the are not always discussing the K200D, the main differences between the various model cameras is in the use of the E dial (on the back of the K200D, green button and Av button.

http://www.robertsdonovan.com/?p=1181
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=24921509
http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/59272-shooting-manu...
http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/60081-usage-green-b...

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-articles/32-can-i-use-k-m-lenses-...

We can cover the other types of lenses when you get them.

Have fun, do not Skype me if you have problems.
Last Edited by gregmoll on 16/10/2009 - 08:26

johnriley

Link Posted 16/10/2009 - 08:36
I haven't had time yet to read that thoroughly, but it strikes me that you could remove any reference to taking an "A" lens off the A setting as the whole point is that an A lens should be set to A so that it will work without any problems with the DSLRs.

That's the first emphasis I'd make.

The second point is that original K and M lenses have the same mount and work in the same way and that isn't crystal clear from your piece.

I'd condense it and keep to the nitty-gritty facts, so to speak.

Hope that helps!
Best regards, John

lidy

Link Posted 16/10/2009 - 09:35
When I first started using manual lenses, I found this http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1036&thread=24921509 very helpful.
Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships. - Ansel Adams -

gregmoll

Link Posted 16/10/2009 - 10:18
johnriley wrote:

The second point is that original K and M lenses have the same mount and work in the same way and that isn't crystal clear from your piece.

I made that statement because the only straight K mount that I have is my K 1000mm f8 lens and it has no provision for moving the diaphragm on the mount, is this an exception?

In order to keep it simple I have concentrated on "M" type lenses, when she get more, from me, I will expand on the "A" and M42 lenses.

lidy wrote:
When I first started using manual lenses, I found this http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1036&thread=24921509 very helpful.

That is a very good link and is I have listed it.

Thanks for all the feedback,

Greg

pschlute

Link Posted 16/10/2009 - 10:42
Greg

The "K" 1000/f8 is a manual diaphram lens according to Boj's site.

Most "K" lenses have the aperture lever , same as the M series.
Peter

My Flickr page

Mongoose

Link Posted 16/10/2009 - 12:18
the official difference between K and M lenses is the latter tend to be smaller to suit the (then) new M series bodies.

In reality several M series lenses were just K lenses with an M painted on, while others were genuinely re-designed to make them smaller.

The 200mm F4 is a good example, the K version is sometimes said to be sharper but the M is smaller and lighter.
you don't have to be mad to post here

but it does help

misiek_knm

Link Posted 16/10/2009 - 20:56
Seems that thread deserves 'sticky' (or whatever it calls) status
Kind regards,
Michal R. Hoffmann
K20D, DA 16-45mm, A 50mm F/1:1.4, DA 55-300mm; flash Pentax AF240Z

Malo1961

Link Posted 16/10/2009 - 21:21
Personally I would skip any remark or explanation about A lenses(as JR mentioned) The same goes for M42 screw mounts.

The latter can also be used with the camera set to AV mode. While turning the aperture ring the SS will change accordingly. While stopping down the viewfinder will darken. The A/M switch on the lens must be on M. Green button/AEL button mode to stop down and meter is usable in Manual metering mode also

The M and K lenses can only be used with the camera set to M and with stop down metering using the green button/AEL button.

The bold part is only relevant. All the other info would probably confuse.
Best regards,

Martin.

Curious about my photography?? Just Follow the Light.

gregmoll

Link Posted 16/10/2009 - 23:35
Nothing like a good discussion to clear the rubbish from one's mind.
Here is the amended version. Thanks for the help.
Greg

NOTES ON USING “K” and “M” TYPE MANUAL LENSES ON THE PENTAX K200D

CAMERA SET-UP FOR “K” and “M” LENSES
Before you can use the K200D with manual lenses there are a number of changes you must make to the cameras default set-up. This applies to all the different types of manual lenses and once done correctly does not require changing.

Go to:-
MENU - CUSTOM SETTINGS -

Menu item 14, Green button in Manual, select “2” Tv Shift.
Now when you press the Green button whilst in M mode the camera will shut down the aperture to the pre-selected setting and take a reading and set the shutter speed to suit the selected aperture.

Menu item 22, Catch-in focus, select “2” On, enabled.
Now if the AF/MF switch on the front of the camera is set to AF with a manual lens attached to the camera it will only allow the shutter to trip if it can confirm that the subject is in focus. This has disadvantages under low light conditions and can be overridden by switching back to the MF setting on the front of camera.

Menu item 23, Using aperture ring, select “2” Permitted

Save these settings and close the menu.

TAKING THE PICTURE
Remember this procedure is only for “K” and “M” type lenses. we can discuss the other lens types when you get them.

Attach the lens to the camera.

Set the program dial on the camera to M Mode.

Switch on Shake Reduction, if you want to use it.

Switch on the camera.

If you have Shake Reduction turned on it will display a screen asking for the focal length of the attached manual lens, enter the focal length of the lens.

Set the ISO.

Set the white balance to suit the current conditions.

Pre-set the aperture ring to a setting which will give you the depth of field you require, the diaphragm will not close down.

Focus roughly on the subject.

Half press the shutter button to activate the meter.

Press the Green button, there will be a sound as the camera shuts down the diaphragm, the viewfinder will darken and it will now select the appropriate shutter speed, check the shutter speed selected and if it’s too slow open up the lens and repress the green button until you arrive at a suitable speed for the current conditions.

Take the photo.

Inspect the histogram and if there is clipping correct the exposure up or down by adjusting the shutter speed using the E-Dial or by changing the f stop on the lens.

DO NOT PRESS THE GREEN BUTTON AGAIN, you will delete the adjustments you have just made.

Take the photo again and see if the exposure is correct..

NOTES
Here are some links to sites which taught me all I know about the subject, remember that they are not always discussing the K200D, the main differences between the various model cameras is in the use of the E dial (on the back of the K200D, green button and Av button.

http://www.robertsdonovan.com/?p=1181
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=24921509
http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/59272-shooting-manu...
http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/60081-usage-green-b...
http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-articles/32-can-i-use-k-m-lenses-...
Last Edited by gregmoll on 16/10/2009 - 23:54

George Lazarette

Link Posted 16/10/2009 - 23:37
Still a trifle prolix, but much improved.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.