Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Merits of different brands

davex
Posted 17/11/2009 - 20:55 Link
This is not meant to start a war; so please only respond with your views, and do not respond in answer to other posts in this thread.But I am interested in different opinions.

So Why did you choose Pentax and are you still happy with your decision? How does the Pentax equivalent compare to other brands you have experience of?

Let me say right at the start, I am now financialy commited to the Pentax system. It would not make sence for me to change, and I do not intend to.

I chose Pentax as my first SLR system last year, so I have no means of comparison with other systems. My reasions for choosing the K20 was I believed it offered the most features for the money, also the Lens prices seemed very competitive. Things have now changed however, the K20 now seems a bit expensive, but the lens prices have gone silly, and at the time i did`nt realise about the 300mm barrier, never read about that one in the reviews. TBH i think if somebody asked me now, I am not convinced I would reccomend Pentax. What do you think?
K5 + 8mm-500mm zooms and primes
Please feel free to play with any images I post.
My flickr: link
Anvh
Posted 17/11/2009 - 21:07 Link
The lens prices seems only silly in the UK and I believe they are getting better then what they where, still some lenses don't seem to change though.
DA12-24 is such a lens although I can get it for good money here so at least I can't really complain about the price.

The 300mm is a thing indeed but not many would need a longer lens, so I can understand why Pentax made lenses first in other focal lengths.
For your comfort there is a "super tele" on the lens roadmap.

So yes you can recommend Pentax but it depends on the needs.
Maybe it isn't the best for wildlife but the camera with a DA*50-135 is a very nice setup for portraits and it's had to match another brand setup for the same money against that.
johnriley
Posted 17/11/2009 - 21:15 Link
I do recommend pentax but always suggest that people handle different cameras to see what suits them. All modern DSLRs will offer acceptable results, bujt with a different character to each.

Pentax excels in ergonomics (handling), colour and image quality, elegance of engineering and quality of lenses. It out-performs many more expensive cameras and always has.

I have here another 50mm f1.8 AF lens from another manufacturer of note and on careful examination it isn't nearly so well made or designed as the SMC Pentax-FA 50mm lenses. This is just one example of the satisfaction I can get out of the elegance and simplicity of Pentax design.
Best regards, John
Edited by johnriley: 17/11/2009 - 21:15
aminstar
Posted 17/11/2009 - 21:22 Link
davex wrote:
This is not meant to start a war; so please only respond with your views, and do not respond in answer to other posts in this thread.But I am interested in different opinions.

So Why did you choose Pentax and are you still happy with your decision? How does the Pentax equivalent compare to other brands you have experience of?

Let me say right at the start, I am now financialy commited to the Pentax system. It would not make sence for me to change, and I do not intend to.

I chose Pentax as my first SLR system last year, so I have no means of comparison with other systems. My reasions for choosing the K20 was I believed it offered the most features for the money, also the Lens prices seemed very competitive. Things have now changed however, the K20 now seems a bit expensive, but the lens prices have gone silly, and at the time i did`nt realise about the 300mm barrier, never read about that one in the reviews. TBH i think if somebody asked me now, I am not convinced I would reccomend Pentax. What do you think?

Major issue for me with the K20D was the AF system. Was hoping that the K7 would address it at least to a certain degree at least to justify an upgrade but unfortunately it failed big time. At the time there was only the D300 and the D300s to compare with, as far as my requirements were and even considered the D700, but even though they were feature packed and had that legendary AF system it still wasn't enough to drag me into that brand. But then the 7D came out and that tipped the scale for me.

This is just personally speaking so please bear in mind that what is good and works for me doesn't necessarily mean that it is for everyone.
womble
Posted 17/11/2009 - 21:23 Link
For the sort of photographs I like to take, Pentax covers almost everything I want. The one exception is a tilt-shift lens like the Canon 17mm one. That lens, however, costs probably more than my entire (digital) set-up put together. In fact, my entire 5x4 system (camera, tripod, two lenses, two sets of bellows, dark slides etc.) cost about a 1/3 of that lens! I rarely have use for a lens more than 300mm, and if I did there are plenty of 3rd party lenses on offer such as the infamous "Bigma".

Cameras are tools for a job. Sometimes beautiful tools, sometimes less so. If the tool doesn't do the job you want, then get another one. For me, personally, Pentax provides most of the tools I want, and I am happy. I can see that other people with other needs would choose other brands. If you want a well-made relatively small body with a set of sweetest primes going, then Pentax can deliver the goods. If you like using old glass, then Pentax is your baby. If you want a monster 600mm fast prime, then unless you are very lucky (and very rich) you'll probably have to look elsewhere.

My only brand related gripe is that too many people automatically choose one of the big two for no better reason than they are "the big two" rather than looking seriously at Olympus, Pentax, Samsung or whoever.

A little off-topic, but I find it amusing how often someone says "ohh, you have a good camera" when I am carrying the K10/K20 with grip and 50-135mm lens (i.e. BIG = good) yet barely give the camera a second glance when I have the 43mm Ltd on it with no grip. I must treat myself to a 6x7 one day...

I'll put my soapbox away now.

Cheers, Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
RR
Posted 17/11/2009 - 21:30 Link
Even after price rises the K20d is still excellent value for money. Build quality is far & above similarly priced rivals & it still leads its price range in resolution. Lens prices are high, but again, not more so than any other brand really.

I changed systems as I wanted less noise in my images as I tend to push my images alot in post process (too far most of the time) & end up increasing the noise somewhat anyway. I find the current lens lineup isn't as broad as it could be but I would not have changed solely for that fact & it's going to take alot of saving up to get the lenses I want that Pentax do not offer at present anyway.

I would not have changed to another APSC dslr from another brand, it was only the draw of the low noise characteristics that led me to the D700.

I'd still recommend Pentax to someone starting out.
George Lazarette
Posted 17/11/2009 - 21:30 Link
If you NEED a lens longer than 300mm, then there are third party makes that fit the bill.

But unless you are an avid avian snapper, there is little reason to go longer than 300mm (indeed, longer than 200mm) and it will be VERY expensive to do so with the mass-market manufacturers (Canon and Nikon).

At the end of the day, it is image quality that I consider most important, and in this respect there is absolutely nothing wrong with Pentax sensors or Pentax lenses.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Anvh
Posted 17/11/2009 - 21:39 Link
womble wrote:
If you want a monster 600mm fast prime, then unless you are very lucky (and very rich) you'll probably have to look elsewhere.

Pentax still make those (FA*600mm f/4) on special order link... it doesn't say discontinued so yes pentax does still make lenses over 300mm.
It only cost £9000 without tax!
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Edited by Anvh: 17/11/2009 - 21:40
George Lazarette
Posted 17/11/2009 - 21:44 Link
RR wrote:
I changed systems....

I think this question was directed at Pentax users. Perhaps the OP was unaware that from time to time users of other systems post to this forum, for reasons that are sometimes hard to fathom.

In my view, a good photographer is a good photographer regardless of system, and those who change are often better advised to change their technique than their camera.

But then, I am of the old school who believes that photography is about composing a picture in the viewfinder, not creating some ectoplasmic ikon whilst huddled in front of a computer.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
RobE17
Posted 17/11/2009 - 21:49 Link
I chose Pentax when I first bought a DSLR as I had used a P30T for a few years beforehand and was very pleased with the results with my 28-80 and 70-210 manual focus lenses. Having then used Pentax in 35mm format I made the decision to buy the K10D and subsequently the K20D.

I have been very pleased with the IQ of Pentax DSLR's and I noticed it the other day when I was looking at some images taken by a friend of mine using another brand, they just looked a little flat whereas mine seemed to jump out of the screen and were full of detail and colour.

My only criticism would be slow FPS which would concern me if I was to become Pro with my aviation photography but as I am just a keen amateur then the Pentax system suits my requirements and this is the only reason that I would not recommend them. Weather sealing, SR, compatibility with older lenses, etc are all positives in my view.

I was very close a few months ago in changing brands but will be staying put for the time being. My reasons being that I have invested heavily in the system and I now appreciate the quality of the images that Pentax DSLR's produce and the build quality and I have learnt to live with the slower FPS as some of my images have proved.

So I would agree with Stefan above in that you can recommend Pentax but it all depends on the subject matter.
Mongoose
Posted 17/11/2009 - 21:49 Link
My first SLR was an MZ-7 with 28-80 and 80-320 which my family bought me as an 18th birthday present.

I asked for an SLR, and Dad bought me the MZ-7 because he already had a reasonable selection of K mount lenses which I would be able to borrow and use with my MZ-7.

Since then I have always remained faithful to the K mount.

If I were starting out right now with no equipment I believe I would still pick Pentax. The design philosophy suits me nicely. The bodies are as small as possible, and no smaller, I love the backward lens compatibility. The fact that Pentax engineers always seem to go out of their way to make the bodies and lenses as compatible as possible, to the point of insanity in some cases. You can even mount a DA lens on a K1000, the image circle is too small, there's no aperture ring, but the metering will still couple correctly and the combination will function at F22. There is no logical reason to have made that possible.

I have limited experience of other brands, but from what I've seen Sony DSLRs look plastic although they perform well, while low end Canon DSLRs feel plastic and toy-like with lens performance to match. I've never used an Oly, although I suspect strongly that the 2x crop will make the viewfinder unacceptably small. I looked through a Nikon D50 once and my main recollection of it was that the VF was diabolical.
you don't have to be mad to post here

but it does help
Posted 17/11/2009 - 22:08 Link
I chose Pentax for the very simple reason they kept with the bayonet mount which meant I had access to all those wonderfull old primes, which are the only lenses I use now.
A poor life this, if full of care,

We have no time to stand and stare. W.H Davies
aminstar
Posted 17/11/2009 - 22:12 Link
George Lazarette wrote:
Perhaps the OP was unaware that from time to time users of other systems post to this forum, for reasons that are sometimes hard to fathom.

G

Perhaps they do because they started with the Pentax system and even though they move to another brand they feel accomodated here and see no reason to part. Unless forced to. Is that so hard to fathom?

Last time I read the Terms and Conditions there was nothing there specifying that this forum was solely for the use of Pentax Camera Users.
RR
Posted 17/11/2009 - 22:12 Link
Apologies, I missed this part of the Opening post;
Quote:
so please only respond with your views, and do not respond in answer to other posts in this thread.But I am interested in different opinions.

So have taken my reply to PM where it belongs. My views are still as above & it looks like you do have some "different opinions".
Edited by RR: 17/11/2009 - 22:27
hefty1
Posted 17/11/2009 - 22:26 Link
I started with a blank sheet when I bought my K10D.

I'm a Rolleiphile, and if Rollei had made a DSLR I almost certainly wouldn't be here on this forum today. But they didn't.

I had a Praktica B-mount SLR with some sweet Zeiss lenses. But no DSLR would use them either.

I also had a Leica M6 with some nice Leica glass. But discovered with it that I didn't really get on with rangefinders.

Result? I sold the Leica and the Praktica and used the money to buy into Pentax. I spent around a year previously looking at photos on t'internet from all the various DSLRs on the market at the time and came to the conclusion that Pentax offered the best image quality. Nothing else entered the decision process (although the competitive pricing was a nice bonus) and if I could go back in time I'd do the same all over again.

I don't need fast AF (don't need *any* AF actually) or a machine-gun FPS or 50,000mm lenses to photograph people in the next town. I just want the very best IQ that money can buy at regular focal lengths and preferably with nice ergonomics and quality build. Pentax (and specifically the Limited lenses) gives me all that so I'm a happy bunny. If I won the lottery I'd probably buy a Leica M9 but I doubt I'd get on with it any better than I did the M6 and the Pentax would still get the bulk of the work.

Mind you, if I won the Euromillions rollover jackpot I might just buy the old Franke & Heidecke works and put that Rollei DSLR into production myself...
Joining the Q

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.