Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

meeting up with southerners.. :)

LiamD
Posted 16/01/2007 - 13:47 Link
Hi all,

on another thread, (spirit-o-)Will, and I mentioned the possibility of a get together for us southerners. Obviously everyone who wants to turn up would be welcome, from wherever they're based though. I had this idea that perhaps we could map the locations of all interested parties and try and find a sort of midpoint for the gathering, to cut down on the distance you'd all have to travel.. to this end, I've devised this little map..

Comment Image

So far the list is..

1: Will: Stevenage
2: Liam: Bracknell
3: Tony: Crawley
4: Peter: Brentwood
5: Mongoose: Cambridge
6: Tim: Farnham Royal.. (Not In Slough)

The meeting point at the moment would be around the

[Barnet / Enfield]

area.. I'll be more accurate as time goes by. If you're interested, add to the thread, and I'll place you, and reconfigure the map to suit. Then we work out a date, and turn up en masse.. preferably in a pub car park just before lunch..

That way we get a random place to spend an afternoon taking pictures of, be it a steam railway, rose covered cottages, or a concrete block of flats (If it works out as Bracknell town centre, I'll cheat.. I wouldn't waste batteries on it)

Thoughts???

Obviously, as a point of internet safety, please no unaccompanied minors.. etc.

Cheers

Liam
Liam

"Make your hands respond to what your mind demands." Jesse James

Best wide-angle lens? Two steps backward. Look for the 'ah-ha'. Ernst Haas
amilner
Posted 16/01/2007 - 14:09 Link
I'm up for it - we might even be in danger of forming a local group. I'm in Crawley, Sussex which would shift the balance to central London I think...
Tony Milner
Super A, ME Super, MZ6, K5II, Ricoh GR & lenses from 8-500mm
www.amilner.org www.flickr.com/photos/tonymilner
Peter Elgar
Posted 16/01/2007 - 14:11 Link
Yes: I am in Essex, BRENTWOOD but I don't know how to mark it on your map. For many years I ran the Essex Group of the Pentax Club: there were about 23 attending; we had Youth Hostel outings and day trips and meetings round my house, then when there were no more chairs I had to have meetings in Old House, Brentwood which meant I had to charge an attendance fee to cover room hire costs. (There was NO charge for attendance at my house but some people had to stand on the stairs and look over into the room ! ). Then when wife No 2 went off with another bloke I went through divorce troubles again and it all beacome too much so I gave up being local group organiser for Pentax Club and the bloke who took over for some years didn't attract the attendance and the Essex Group seems to have fizzled out. People were not willing to travel to attend any more.
been a member of Pentax Club since the Ron Spillman era! Got COMPUTERISED at last - DIGITISED? Taken the PLUNGE - BUT FILM STILL RULES !!!
Mongoose
Posted 16/01/2007 - 14:55 Link
I'd be interested, I'm in Cambridge
Ammonyte
Posted 16/01/2007 - 17:05 Link
The Ammonyte's shell is currently parked in Farnham Royal, which is NOT in Slough!
Tim the Ammonyte
--------------
K10D & sundry toys
http://www.ammonyte.com/photos.html
LiamD
Posted 16/01/2007 - 17:49 Link
All noted and map updated.

I will, once the time is right, stick a ruler across a proper map, and get the epicentre accurately..

Oh, and Tim, while we're on the subject of Farnham Royal, IIRC that was where a pub cricket team came from that we used to play a few years ago. I think the pub was the Printer's Devil or something.. seems to ring a bell.

Cheers

Liam
Liam

spirit_of_will
Posted 16/01/2007 - 17:58 Link
I'm certainly up for it - there's plenty of good locations in and around where we all are... perhaps we could look at hosting something local-ish each?

I have the raptor centre not far from me just up the A1, Cambridge is always nice, Tim / Liam you're not far from Windsor. I spend way too much time near Crawley stuck in that God forsaken airport for work but we could always head South to the coast and sorry Peter but I'm not all that familiar with Brentwood but over your side of London I've always wanted to shoot the Thames barrier at sunset!

If you're after a middle point to meet - Barnet / Enfield isn't too far from Watford - we could always gatecrash in on Chris at SRS and ask him to stick the kettle on!!!
Spirit_of_will

Fan and user of quality Pentax Shiny Kit

WEBSITE www.willbartonphotography.com & www.inspiredlightimages.com

Will Barton Photography: Landscapes, Cityscapes
My Flickr
Follow Will Barton Photography on Facebook
LiamD
Posted 16/01/2007 - 18:06 Link
You know, I've never taken a camera to Windsor.. I suppose it's because it's only 20 minutes down teh road it doesn't occur to me at the time..
Liam

McBrian
Posted 16/01/2007 - 18:19 Link
If I come will that meen you will all head north :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: ....................................to Newcastle

Seriously, I'd love to meet you all some time, may be getting sent to Coventry (well Stratford but my mum and little Sis stay in Cov and got friends in Southam) to train some natives shortly, not too far from the smoke outskirts.
Cheers
Brian.
LBA is good for you, a Lens a day helps you work, rest and play.
Ammonyte
Posted 16/01/2007 - 19:52 Link
Liam,

The three pubs in the village are:- The Dukes Head, The Crown and the Farnham Pump (formerly the Jolly Butcher). We have our own Cricket Team, no pub team AFAIK. The only "Printers Devil" I know of (locally) is in Slough.

As for a central meeting point, how about St Albans?
Tim the Ammonyte
--------------
K10D & sundry toys
http://www.ammonyte.com/photos.html
kcmadr
Posted 16/01/2007 - 19:58 Link
Cricket? Pubs???

I'm beginning to feel left out here.

Couldn't we all meet in say Greenland? It's more central for me...

Daniel Bridge
Posted 16/01/2007 - 20:09 Link
Well, for my sins I'm in Brentwood too - not far from Peter. If I'm not working (I often do at weekends) I'd be happy to come along and see what a rabble we make.

If Michael wants to join in too, I say Vancouver Island!

Dan
LiamD
Posted 16/01/2007 - 20:41 Link
ust a quickie, I'm off out..

Brian, that's spooky. I'm from Southam originally (well age 8-18 ), and my Mum still lives there.. my brother in Long Itchington.. I may even know your friends.. or a family member, and if they drink around Southam, then I'm sure my brother would.

Scared now..

Cheers

Liam
Liam

Mongoose
Posted 16/01/2007 - 21:12 Link
you think thats scary, I used to work in a computer shop and once served someone I "knew" on a BB on the net. Found out who it was about a week later.
McBrian
Posted 16/01/2007 - 21:28 Link
LiamD wrote:
ust a quickie, I'm off out..
Brian, that's spooky. I'm from Southam originally (well age 8-18 ), and my Mum still lives there.. my brother in Long Itchington.. I may even know your friends.. or a family member, and if they drink around Southam, then I'm sure my brother would.
Scared now..
Cheers
Liam

Well well what do you know

I take it you will be familiar with Lake View, The Green, Long Itchington :

My friends have recently moved down from Coventry, maybe your brother has met them, I know they will be very friendly with anyone they meet.

Edit
I see you live in Braknell now Liam, well I used to spend my holidays (10-16) at my aunt's in Loden Bridge Road, Woodly, about 50 yards up under the bridge, used to get dragged to Bracknell market every Saturday, bought my first pint in the George, caught my first fish in the Loden .......... life is full of surprises eh
Cheers
Brian.
LBA is good for you, a Lens a day helps you work, rest and play.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.