Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Meeting of the SLUG.

Daniel Bridge
Posted 13/05/2009 - 10:13 Link
SLUG? South and London User Group of course! Suggestions for a better acronym on a postcard please...

Anyway, as suggested, we should have a PU meet in the southern half of the country, and as we seem to have a lot of member to the north and west of London, somewhere in this area would seem to make sense.

Unlocker's suggested Stowe School in Bucks, I blithely threw Oxford out as a potential, I'm sure others have favourite places that they could suggest.

Also, suggestions for a date please! Sundays would be better, certainly for Unlocker, and here's a list of when I could make a meet...

Sunday 9th August
Sunday 16th August
Sunday 30th August
Sunday 6th September
Er, and that's it until November...

I won't run a poll, as most people will be able to make a couple of those dates, so just reply here to say which you can make, and we can then pick one that suits the most.

So to recap! Reply here with suggested locations, comments on the suggested locations, and dates (from the above please ) that you can make.

Dan

P.S. Sorry about the over-enthusiastic use of the words 'suggestions/suggested'.
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...
hefty1
Posted 13/05/2009 - 11:09 Link
Any of those dates sounds good to me and Stowe School would make an excellent venue for a photographic trip (and I'm not just saying that 'cos it's only 20 minutes up the road from me honest!)
Joining the Q
Daniel Bridge
Posted 13/05/2009 - 11:10 Link
Can you get a cup of tea and a bite to eat there? Or would we all have to pop round to your place for that?

Dan
hefty1
Posted 13/05/2009 - 11:15 Link
You can get drinks and snacks from the Gift Shop but not full cooked meals (not that I've noticed before anyway). Plenty of nice big country pubs around there though...
Joining the Q
feeb
Posted 13/05/2009 - 11:37 Link
Well i am in Wiltshire so for me, these places are still north still well up for it though, although i am i only avaliable for the 16th date in august, i do event photography alot so summers are busy dont let that get in yer way though, if loads of people want to shimmy down on a different date in August i will just come for the next one
Dont complain about the darkness, Light a candle......
Daniel Bridge
Posted 13/05/2009 - 12:02 Link
feeb wrote:
Well i am in Wiltshire so for me, these places are still north still well up for it though, although i am i only avaliable for the 16th date in august, i do event photography alot so summers are busy dont let that get in yer way though, if loads of people want to shimmy down on a different date in August i will just come for the next one

Did wonder if you'd be at the Barefoot Festival that weekend, that's where my wife will be.

Pub lunch sounds good Hefty!

Dan
Unlocker
Posted 13/05/2009 - 14:13 Link
Any of those dates are fine by me, but I think 30th August may be a problem for some as it's the Bank holiday weekend?

Should have been more specific when mentioning Stowe, as the school / house itself is private, but still open to the public at specific times only. What I should have said was Stowe landscape gardens, which is run by The National Trust, and is VERY photogenic. There is a cafe there, and the National Trust Site is here.
ttk
Posted 13/05/2009 - 14:17 Link
Good luck with your meet Dan and the SLUG members have a nice time.

:shockan if you send a PM to Dan the Admin Man and ask him to make your topic a sticky, and drop a hint for any freebies.
Tel,
Daniel Bridge
Posted 13/05/2009 - 14:19 Link
Unlocker wrote:
Should have been more specific when mentioning Stowe... What I should have said was Stowe landscape gardens, which is run by The National Trust, and is VERY photogenic. There is a cafe there, and the National Trust Site is here.

Ahh! Looks wonderful!

Dan
feeb
Posted 13/05/2009 - 21:19 Link
Daniel Bridge wrote:
feeb wrote:

Did wonder if you'd be at the Barefoot Festival that weekend, that's where my wife will be.

Pub lunch sounds good Hefty!

Dan

The Barefoot festival sounds like my sort of Place, going to check it out now thanks Dan
Dont complain about the darkness, Light a candle......
womble
Posted 14/05/2009 - 03:52 Link
Sadly I couldn't make any of those dates as I am away from 12th July to 12th September.

If there is enough interest, I would be happy to organise something in London in October or November. Provided the boss agrees, we could meet for coffee/tea mid-morning, go out snapping then meet again mid-afternoon for more coffee and use the data projector in one of the lecture rooms to share photos, either ones taken that day or on a wider theme/s. Plenty near the Institute, e.g. British Museum, Russell Square, BT Tower etc., and lots of places to get lunch.

Best wishes, Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
rpk20d
Posted 14/05/2009 - 09:54 Link
I'm available on all those dates
For the love of all things photogenic!

Pentax K20D | Pentax SMC II DA ALII 18 - 55 | Sigma 400mm AF f5.6 | Fisheye wanted for play time!

Centon K100 | Centon 50 / 1.7 | Centon 70 - 210 /4.0 - 5.6 (for my now retired film SLR).
Daniel Bridge
Posted 18/05/2009 - 23:39 Link
Okay, let's discount the bank holiday weekend, and as no one has suggested anywhere else, and it looks wonderful, we'll say the meet will be at Stowe landscape gardens.

I'll check a few things and then we can sort a final date, and hopefully get a crowd of us along.

Watch this space...

Dan
Daniel Bridge
Posted 02/06/2009 - 16:47 Link
Well, as any date seemed to be okay with most people, and as I'm getting booked up into August, I'm going to make the executive decision that the meet will be on Sunday 16th August 2009.

I'll start a new thread I think, with a more descriptive title...

Kris, that sounds like a nice idea (the meet up in London in October/November), I'd certainly be up for that. Pity you're away (Romania?) for the summer.

Dan

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.