Main Gallery vs 'Your Photos' Forum

Abe_Normal

Link Posted 16/12/2018 - 16:42
What reasons would there be for using one rather than the other?

I'd reckon the 'Your Photos' section would be more suitable if there are multiple connected pictures.

Are there any particular differences?

davidstorm

Link Posted 16/12/2018 - 20:12
The Gallery is nice for uploading single images, I tend to post one a day maximum, usually not more than one at once as I don't think it's a good idea to swamp the Gallery with lots of your images all at the same time.

The Forum is more suited to posting sets of images and also the Forum tends to attract more constructive criticism than the Gallery does.

Regards
David
My Website http://imagesbydavidstorm.foliopic.com

Flickr

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

McGregNi

Link Posted 16/12/2018 - 21:36
These are some of the permitted responses to images in the gallery ... You can pick and choose I believe, or mix some together as appropriate...
"Nice!" ...."Liked" ...."Beautiful Capture" ...."Great shot" ..."That's simply gorgeous" ...."Well done" ...."Lovely colours" ...."A superbly executed image"..

That covers most things there....

In the forum you could say different things, such as ..."The colours look a bit off" ...."What was your WB setting?".... " Have you tried some AF fine tuning?....."Do you need glasses?...."The horizon seems to be sloping a little to the right" ..."It may just be me" ...(the previous one really means it's probably actually you) ...."How did you process these?"...."It's a marmite kind of thing" ....(that one means it's really awful and no one at all will like it) ...."perhaps you could crop out (add here either the bottom, the top, the sides, or most of the middle) ... That might improve it" ..."Have you thought about camera upgrade? Things have moved on a lot in recent years" ....

That mostly covers the forum then .... So really, it's an entirely personal choice which one you choose to post in!
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Last Edited by McGregNi on 16/12/2018 - 21:41

stub

Link Posted 16/12/2018 - 21:50
In my opinion the Gallery certainly suffers from a lack of people passing through it and viewing images. Certainly not enough people posting or passing comment.
The forum is a more chatter filled place, were a discussion on an image can take place.. If thats what you require on an image.
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..

davidstorm

Link Posted 16/12/2018 - 22:02
McGregNi wrote:
These are some of the permitted responses to images in the gallery ... You can pick and choose I believe, or mix some together as appropriate...
"Nice!" ...."Liked" ...."Beautiful Capture" ...."Great shot" ..."That's simply gorgeous" ...."Well done" ...."Lovely colours" ...."A superbly executed image"..

In the forum you could say different things, such as ..."The colours look a bit off" ...."What was your WB setting?".... " Have you tried some AF fine tuning?....."Do you need glasses?...."The horizon seems to be sloping a little to the right" ..."It may just be me" ...(the previous one really means it's probably actually you) ...."How did you process these?"...."It's a marmite kind of thing" ....(that one means it's really awful and no one at all will like it) ...."perhaps you could crop out (add here either the bottom, the top, the sides, or most of the middle) ... That might improve it" ..."Have you thought about camera upgrade? Things have moved on a lot in recent years" ....

That mostly covers the forum then .... So really, it's an entirely personal choice which one you choose to post in!

I don't always follow these trends Nigel, I do often make constructively critical comments on images in the Gallery, as I do in the Forum.

I do like to post in the Gallery, it's nice just to upload an image now and again, instead of having to upload a full set on the Forum.

Regards
David
My Website http://imagesbydavidstorm.foliopic.com

Flickr

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

1stEverPentax

Link Posted 17/12/2018 - 09:24
McGregNi wrote:

Very entertainingly put Nigel

Mag07

Link Posted 17/12/2018 - 13:34
For me it comes down to single v multiple. I've had both short and long comments in both so don't see much difference here.
'Photography...it remembers little things, long after you have forgotten....' (Aaron Siskind)

wvbarnes

Link Posted 17/12/2018 - 15:19
I like posting, from time to time, a single pic on the gallery. It's a nice way to build a set of what one is in to and how that changes. Doesn't time fly though.

I get posting a set for critique as it can be specific, say low light, night skies, macro etc.

Merry Christmas to all. I'm looking forward to the next Pentax if it is a high end APS-C. Then we can have some sets of showing us nothing changes much except the user. Sadly our currency slide will make it dear though i guess!
Bill

tyronet2000

Link Posted 17/12/2018 - 18:43
It's been a long time since I posted in the Forum but stiil post images in the Galley. I was a little dismayed when the Pentax Gallery seemed to be slower and slower for an image to be accepted or not. One thing I do think is strange is when I look at the Gallery sometimes an image has been Liked but no comment made so I've no idea who the Like is from, but appreciated all the same, also it's nice to see at least some people have at least looked at the image.
Regards
Stan

PPG

johnriley

Link Posted 17/12/2018 - 22:59
The Gallery here at PU has nothing to do with the "Pentax Gallery" in the USA that needed images to be accepted. It's available for members to post images and there's no acceptance process. It is useful in that images larger than web forum size can be posted. Sometimes I wonder if the various galleries available cause confusion.

The forum gallery came first and the one at the top of the page marked Gallery came later as an improvement to the options available. It's upo to members where they prefer to post images.
Best regards, John

tyronet2000

Link Posted 18/12/2018 - 09:00
I knew the US Pentax Gallery had nothing to do with this site and stopped posting when it had seemed to grind to a halt.When I first started to take photographs I posted some on the Forum Gallery (and now blush when I think how bad they were) but the critique helped a lot. I do still post on the Gallery and also in the competitions from time to time. All in all there is something for everyone on here and a lot of knowledge to tap into when required. Unfortunately not able to much photography but enjoy what I do.
Regards
Stan

PPG
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.