Madrid walk-about with Lumix S5 and several Pentax/K-mount vintage lenses

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 09/05/2022 - 16:31
A few weeks back I finally got a digital full-frame camera, a mirrorless Panasonic Lumix S5. I did the sums and realised that I could pay for it by selling off a number of lenses I have which I like but which aren't essential, and it seemed like an obvious move for me to make, having always been the plan to upgrade in this way, I just hadn't sat down and really looked at it.

One of the draws of a mirrorless camera is the almost endless possibility to adapt SLR lenses to it, and with the manual focus assist tools available on such cameras these days it's not a chore to have to focus manually. I love using old lenses and have a lot of K-mount, M42 and Minolta SR mount lenses (and a few others) and to finally get their original focal lengths on digital is a revelation, to be quite honest. I found the K 28/2 to be particularly impressive and the M 50/1.4 seems to be just about the perfect fast fifty on full-frame.

So I took a day off and went to the Retiro park in the centre of Madrid with a handful of manual lenses and the S5 (and a Yashica Mat 124G for film) and had a very enjoyable morning testing out what the new camera and old lenses can do.

M 50mm f/1.4

Flowers by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr

Claws by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr

Retiro blossom by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr

Statue by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr

Eric Gill by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr

K 28mm f/2

Boxhead by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr

Palacio de cristal II by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr

Wall of colours by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr

Artworks II by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr

Blossom in the puddle by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr

Palacio de cristal by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr

Vivitar (Tokina) 17mm f/3.5

Correos by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr

M 85mm f/2

Turtles by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr

Fountain by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr

I also had the M 120mm f/2.8 but the mount on that lens is slightly different from all the other K-mount lenses I have and won't mount on the adaptor, which is disappointing.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

Urbanmeister

Link Posted 09/05/2022 - 17:00
It's clear you had a great day and enjoyed the camera and lenses. The result are some really lovely pictures. I enjoyed looking at these, thank you.
Be well, stay safe.

Flan

Link Posted 09/05/2022 - 19:00
Thanks for posting Jonathan mac, and i like the photograhs. I was in Madrid once for a week at christmas 2017 and i loved it. i did not come across that park or maybe i did walked on by but i loved the city for its art which you have shown a hint of in the images,

davidwozhere

Link Posted 10/05/2022 - 01:41
As an 'old glass' devotee I have enjoyed this collection. Thank you for compiling it.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

cardiffgareth

Link Posted 17/05/2022 - 13:49
Its a DOF match made in heaven combo!

All really nice
Gareth
Welsh Photographer

My outfit: K1 gripped - K3ii - two Z-1P - Pentax D FA 24-70mm - Sigma 70-200mm OS HSM - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 50mm - Sigma EX 20mm - FA 28-70mm f4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II

My Flickr
My PPG
Foundation NFT
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.