M42>K adaptor on K>Q adaptor on Q

sebdanan

Link Posted 12/12/2013 - 19:55
Hi there,

I picked up a few M42 lenses for a steal a few weeks ago and since I already have some K mount lenses and the K to Q adaptor, I got myself a M42 to K adaptor so I can used the former lenses with the Q.

It's a cheapo Chinese made ring from the bay and the first thing I can say is it's rough round the edges, I almost cut myself with it. Will need a little sanding here and there.

But my main issue is that once mounted, the lenses are almost upside down. Facing the lens, I get the aperture scale located around 5 o'clock.

Do all M42>K adaptors produce this exotic and undesired aperture reading position? Or is it just that you only get what you pay for?

Any help much appreciated!
Cheerio

PS: I will post a few macro shots obtained through aforementioned setup later...

spinno

Link Posted 12/12/2013 - 20:29
Thee cheap Chinese adapters come in two styles. One is literally a ring that fits inside the camera into which you screw the lens, and the other has a flat surface outside the mount. With the second you cannot get infinity focussing but they can be used for macro. As to the other type although the lens ends up off centre I've never had any problems with infinity focussing ah I've just noticed you're talking about a Q...I use mine on K3 and K-01 so I can't really comment on the Q..sorry
David

gartmore

Link Posted 12/12/2013 - 22:32
Reading between the lines, since you have a 'cheapie Chinese' adapter then you probably don't have a Pentax Q/K adapter either so it isn't really surprising the lenses don't orientate correctly using either or both but it doesn't really matter much so long as you can stop the lenses down manually.

We've had quite a lot of discussion in various threads here about using older lenses on Q bodies, I've gone as far as using a kodak lens from 1913 or thereabouts and Pentax 110 lenses. I think we've all been a bit disappointed with the results
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

sebdanan

Link Posted 13/12/2013 - 10:58
Thanks for your remarks. I'll explain a little more.

I have two adaptors now. I've got the coney looking one that allows Pentax K mount lenses to fit on the little Q.
And since yesterday I've got the M42 to K ring that allows M42 lenses to fit on a Pentax K mount.

I use the latter on the Q (fitted with the other adaptor) or on my nice old Pentax KX film camera.

On both the Q and KX, my M42 lenses end up top to bottom with the aperture and focus scales around 5 o'clock. They are usable, but it's just a nuisance, I keep bending my head down to see what aperture I've selected. Infinity focus is fine.

So i'm wondering, do all M42 to K adaptors place the lens top to bottom or is it just my cheapo adaptor that has the threading done in such an inconsistent way?

Cheers

gartmore

Link Posted 13/12/2013 - 13:03
Genuine Pentax ones will put the lens in the correct position and I'm sure other non-branded ones will too.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

sebdanan

Link Posted 13/12/2013 - 18:57
Just a couple of pictures of this very lame ring in action

Last Edited by sebdanan on 13/12/2013 - 18:58
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.