Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

LX vs ME super vs KX vs K2

boudou701
Posted 23/03/2015 - 09:03 Link
hello,
i am sure this has been asked MANY times but couldn't find the right answer, been doing some research but it's not that straight forward.
I would like to find a SLR that produces some nice photos (who doesn't!), and looks like the one listed above could be some good alternative.
I know the LX is supposed to be the best but I am not even sure I would be good enough to use it.
I have a Canon A1 and would like something similar in terms of controls.
I also want something fairly small and light (!) to carry in the city.
any tips please let me know, then it will come to finding a good deal on ebay! also if there are things to look out for when buying second hand old camera let me know, my Canon A1 needs to be re-sealed for example..
thanks!
KX film, ME Super, K-S2
Pentax 10-17mm, Sigma 10-20mm, Tamron 17-50mm, Pentax 55-300mm
Sigma 24mm f2.8, Pentax A 50mm f1.7, Pentax K 55mm f1.8
Metz 36 AF-4
--> borrow or rent Photography equipment from people around you on Needy Monkey - link
johnriley
Posted 23/03/2015 - 09:09 Link
All the film cameras are usable in the same way, regardless of our skill level, but if you want something light and compact then the ME Super screams out at us.

The main problem is that these are getting quite old now and the electronics may or may not still be OK. Light seals are also suspect and may have to be changed, not a problem to do but make sure it is done before the camera ends up full of black sludge from the old decaying ones.

Buying in eBay is tricky but if you do get a good one, then the ME Super will be a dream to use.
Best regards, John
boudou701
Posted 23/03/2015 - 09:22 Link
great thanks that was very fast to answer my question! the alternative is to buy it from a shop but it will be about 3 times more, although probably more likely to have been tested/repaired if needed.
can i expect some decent results from more recent lenses such as my Sigma DG 20mm?
KX film, ME Super, K-S2
Metz 36 AF-4
--> borrow or rent Photography equipment from people around you on Needy Monkey - link
johnriley
Posted 23/03/2015 - 10:02 Link
You'll need to make sure the lenses you user are full frame, or at least full frame enough to make usable. Some of the APS-C lenses do actually cover enough.

With an ME Super the M series lenses are absolutely ideal, the A series equally so but a bit more bulky and pricey. The AF lenses are also usable but don't have that silky smoothness when focusing manually.
Best regards, John
gartmore
Posted 23/03/2015 - 10:16 Link
i think the MX should be on your list
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
ken2390
Posted 23/03/2015 - 11:18 Link
I second that gartmore
stu62
Posted 23/03/2015 - 11:28 Link
Me personally would go for the lx as it would be the natural way to go from a canon A1
But john is right the me super is a good general alriund work horse and I thought pretty boom prove as well
LennyBloke
Posted 23/03/2015 - 11:31 Link
I third Gartmores' suggestion - one of the most reliable, straightforward SLR's ever made, and it works without batteries

The LX is closer to an A1, but the majority have/will have a problem (i.e. sticky shutter) that will need a repair
LennyBloke
boudou701
Posted 23/03/2015 - 13:00 Link
thanks guys i will consider the MX too - will hunt for second hand shops in Berlin this wkd and see how they feel in my hand! any thought on the K2?
anyone has one for sale i might be interested
KX film, ME Super, K-S2
Metz 36 AF-4
Jonathan-Mac
Posted 23/03/2015 - 14:48 Link
The K2 is lovely, I've just bought my second. Unfortunately, they both have problems that require a full and expensive CLA to fix. With age they jam up inside and the shutter doesn't close. I'll have to bite the bullet and send them both for that CLA. Don't buy one unless you're willing to do the same, or you can be 100% certain that it's had a CLA fairly recently.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X and Panasonic L digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
Darkmunk
Posted 23/03/2015 - 19:18 Link
I'm selling my LX. No issues. Shutter was serviced a while back.
ChrisPlatt
Posted 23/03/2015 - 21:40 Link
I'm sure you're "good enough" to use a Pentax LX.
The question is do you need a professional system camera.
I don't, and I sold mine.

For my needs a Pentax KX works equally well, and I prefer it to the LX.
So much so in fact I now own three of them...

Chris
boudou701
Posted 24/03/2015 - 08:43 Link
hello, you are right i surely dont need a professional camera (whatever this means), I just assumed the more professional the better the outcome will be, but most importantly the more functions there will be, and the more reliable the meter will be - i might be completely wrong, i havent used any pentax SLR pre autofocus cameras (started with a MZ30), all i know is that the Canon A1 shows clearly the exposure which i can adjust, maybe all cameras have that - i am definitely looking at the KX too since it has the best reviews on the other Pentax forum.
thanks for your comments
KX film, ME Super, K-S2
Metz 36 AF-4
stu62
Posted 24/03/2015 - 09:30 Link
may i just throw a spaner in the works and say the mef which a lot of people forget about
Pentaxophile
Posted 24/03/2015 - 16:49 Link
The MX is a lovely thing. But for an easy to use straightforward no nonsense SLR, the P30N is a good, cheap, reliable option. No foam light seals to replace either. Will use DA lenses in Program mode (camera controls aperture and shutter speed for you).

The PZ70 is my favourite cheapo film SLR to use though. You can control the aperture on the body (front wheel, like on a DSLR) on A, FA and DA lenses. And it's autofocus. The PZ1 (Z1P) would be even better as it's better built, pentaprism viewfinder etc.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.