LX Motor Drive

Anonymous

Link Posted 23/06/2004 - 20:03
I want (not necessarily need, but you guys understand) a Motor Drive for my LX. I've seen one on good-old Ebay, but it appears not to come with a Ni-Cad pack/charger.

I take it that without these accessories, the Motor Drive would just be an expensive ornament? How easy are these things to come by? If I was just able to source a Ni-Cad pack, would a proprietry adjustable-voltage mains adaptor do the same job as a charger?

By the way, the AA battery grip attachment for the MD is not, repeat not, an option; it is, IMHO, by far the ugliest and most ungainly thing Pentax have ever made!

Kim C

Link Posted 23/06/2004 - 20:42
Hi,
You need either the AA battery pack, the NiCd pack or the dedicated Pentax Mains unit (only ever seen this in Cat). The packs don't just provide power but also have a control function. The is a shutter release mech on the power packs either continuous or single fire. There are a lot of dead NiCd packs which is why you see the drives on their own. A real shame because it is quite easy to replace the cells in the pack as I have done to several. If you can't get the LX pack, the earlier MX one works as well.

Regards
Kim

Stephen

Link Posted 24/06/2004 - 13:12
Hi,

Kim is spot on with his advice and on my LXs I generally use the NiCd packs. However on occaision (in really cold weather) I have used the AA battery pack and the power lead 'm' to connect this to the drive rather than bolting onto the bottom of the drive. This way you can keep the battery pack seperate from the camera (and more importantly warm!). So if you can't find a NiCd pack (in good condition or needing a refurb) don't discount the AA pack as a method of supplying power to the drive.
Stephen

Kim C

Link Posted 24/06/2004 - 13:20
Hi again,
The other advantage of the cord, especially a long one, is that you can use it as a remote release. Great for nature work. I set it up in my parents garden to photograph foxes. Stayed in doors lovely and warm and fired the camera and flash from the battery pack

Kim

Anonymous

Link Posted 24/06/2004 - 21:47
Thanks for the advice guys, but it's all a bit academic now; I managed to source a Motor Drive (complete with Ni-Cad and charger) with Ffordes in Scotland and they are willing to let me "trade in" my winder for it. It was up for sale for 225, but they're offering 75 for my winder. Bargain? It'll do for me.

Quote:
"They couldn't hit an elephant from this distan...."

Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.