Looking for partner to *istD - go with newer or stick with old?

mattie

Link Posted 30/01/2011 - 15:06
Hi all

It's been a while since I've been out taking photos and even longer since I posted on pentaxuser - I hope all's well with everyone.

My wife has been asked to act as wedding photographer at her cousin's wedding, which has been a useful kick up the backside to get us out taking photos again! It's also a good time to look for a second DSLR body, as we'd like to have a spare camera for impromptu shots during the wedding. I'm hoping to pick one up in a few months, but testing the water now.

I've got a *istD, which perhaps shows how up-to-date I am with the Pentax range! I've had a look at the usual places and found another *istD and the slightly newer *istDS for less than 200, with the newer bodies going for around the 250 mark and upwards.

Is it worth looking at the slightly pricier ones? I'm actually quite keen to get something that uses SD memory, as I have some for my compact anyway and my laptop has an SD slot. This removes a lot of the faff of CF as used in the *istD. SRS have a K10D for 250, would this be a marked improvement on the *istD range? I'd like to try the image stabilisation as well, especially for the wedding photos, not entirely sure what in the newer ranges have this feature. The one thing I'd quite like is a similar control layout to the *istD, which is why I'm hedging against the *istDS as it doesn't (to my knowledge) share the same interface or controls.

I appreciate that this is a 'how long is a piece of string' type of question, but all advice gratefully received.

johnriley

Link Posted 30/01/2011 - 15:15
You need a lot of practice before shooting a wedding properly and that will be the most important thing to think about.

The *istD is relatively slow compared with current models, so I would suggest and upgrade might be worthwhile. Plus another camera so you have one each!

It doesn't matter in one way which body you choose, but two the same would be a good idea.

You would survive with two K-m or K-x bodies and the kit 18-55mm zooms to go with them. Built in flash will do if costs need to be kept down.

Bear in mind this is simplistic advice based on the notion that you need something basic and inexpensive. Add spare batteries to the list by the way! And lots of SD cards!
Best regards, John

Zed

Link Posted 30/01/2011 - 15:22
I've had the *istDL for a few years now but upgraded to a K10D a while back, for the same reasons you're thinking. I'd go for it as the K10D is great, for me coming from an *istDL anyway. I've still got the DL and take it around for those 'you never know' shots and keep the K10D for the times I go out specifically to take pics.
The K10D is very similar, with a few extra goodies including the stabalisation, and it meant I didn't have to read the manual as I more or less knew what all the controls were already. Cheers
'Some say, life is. Some say, what is life?'
Bad Company

bwlchmawr

Link Posted 30/01/2011 - 17:40
I'm biased as I waited years before being able to afford a K10 and I haven't been disappointed.

The one at SRS seems a decent bet. You'll really notice the difference in build quality. It's also a very nice size and weight, ideal I think with plenty of space on the back for the buttons and wheels. It also takes lovely pictures and is easy to use due to the two control wheels. The extra pixels are handy too: your clients may want one or two very big enlargments or you can make some quite severe crops.

The stablisation works, as does the sensor cleaner: both better than the K100, I think, but I've not carried out a scientific test!

It's a wonderful camera.
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05

Don

Link Posted 30/01/2011 - 17:45
a kx or kr would be worth the money...
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

mattie

Link Posted 31/01/2011 - 12:10
Ta all for comments.

I'm not hugely worried by our ability, we were asked to take the photos as a favour with the recognition it won't be professional standard. That's not to say I won't be taking it seriously!

One thing I'll be doing is setting up a webpage for everyone to download their photos of the day, and to which we'll add our photos and the RAW/TIFF files. Basically, we'll do the bare minimum and let them mess about in photoshop if they fancy.

I quite like the K10 offering similar controls to the *istD, in my view Pentax have nailed the control side of things so keen to get a camera with similar. The *istDS dropped the second wheel, which I'm not sure I like. I do like the thought of stabilisation, I was hoping to take quite a few impromptu photos (the 50mm f1.4 is a lovely little lens for this) so hand-held in low light after a few glasses of bubbly might benefit from an artificial steady hand! The *istD is well-built, so hopefully the K10 follows this on.

I'll see if we've enough cash for the K10 when it comes to purchasing.

Transit

Link Posted 01/02/2011 - 23:36
mattie wrote:

I quite like the K10 offering similar controls to the *istD, in my view Pentax have nailed the control side of things so keen to get a camera with similar. The *istDS dropped the second wheel, which I'm not sure I like. I do like the thought of stabilisation, I was hoping to take quite a few impromptu photos (the 50mm f1.4 is a lovely little lens for this) so hand-held in low light after a few glasses of bubbly might benefit from an artificial steady hand! The *istD is well-built, so hopefully the K10 follows this on.

two wheels eh ?
Can you extend your budget slightly for a K-7 ?
Next generation from the K10 and fully featured in a small body.

low light hand held ?
Best low light sensor on a budget might well be the K-x.

for the wedding a good flash and the *istD still could be in the running ?

have fun
Pete
K-1 K-01 Q-7
some len

Close to the Edge
Down by the River
Last Edited by Transit on 01/02/2011 - 23:37

mattie

Link Posted 06/04/2011 - 20:45
Hi all

Just for feedback, I've just ordered the K10D from SRS, 229 sheets for what sounds a tidy camera - no box, but I tend to lose those in the loft anyway.

I also bought the grip for the *istD, 19.

A lot less than I thought I'd be paying, looking forward to trying it in anger.

Any recommendations for SD cards? I'l probably just go with the usual in Guernsey.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.