Look like K1 II is minor update

stub

Link Posted 14/02/2018 - 15:26
If these rumours are true.. Then Pentax have seriously missed the boat in the only upgrade for me the K1 needed,,,

They havn't upgraded the usb port to usb 3.0 To make Tethering the camera more useable...

As for hitting the ground running with the K!,,, Some people are forgetting at launch. There were no matching lenses.. But I'm always impressed by whatever Pentax do. Their over loyal support always stands by them..
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..

Algernon

Link Posted 14/02/2018 - 15:53
I've not seen the K Exclamation Mark
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

1stEverPentax

Link Posted 14/02/2018 - 15:54
If this newer model turns out, as likely to be, merely a tweaked version of the K-1, their marketing department would have been better off reducing expectations by adding a '+' or 'Super' suffix to the nomenclature...K-1Plus or K-1Super...a bit like they did a decade ago with the earlier models...just being a bit more honest with customers would reduce the volume of negative feedback they are likely to create otherwise.

The other aspect of this which hasn't yet been revealed is the new price. If they are only going to charge an extra 100 then probably acceptabe to many potential customers but if they bring in a ticket price 300 more then people won't buy it and they will be forced to discount it sooner rather than later but at a cost of much goodwill, the loss of which the company can ill afford.

theonenadeem

Link Posted 14/02/2018 - 17:45
Quote:

stub wrote:
If these rumours are true.. Then Pentax have seriously missed the boat in the only upgrade for me the K1 needed,,,

They havn't upgraded the usb port to usb 3.0 To make Tethering the camera more useable...

As for hitting the ground running with the K!,,, Some people are forgetting at launch. There were no matching lenses.. But I'm always impressed by whatever Pentax do. Their over loyal support always stands by them..

I think at launch Pentax had more compatible lens than , Sony, Fuji , Olympus and Panasonic.

Regards

Algernon

Link Posted 14/02/2018 - 17:45
So it's not worth paying 300 extra for a camera just because it takes sharper and better pictures and works better in poor light

All you people are also forgetting that the people who were shouting out for a FF said it was so they could use their OLD LENSES from the film days Now they've changed Can't blame Pentax for that

--

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 14/02/2018 - 17:50

Gwyn

Link Posted 14/02/2018 - 18:18
Algernon wrote:
It's already been reported on other forums that the KP was intended to replace the K3ii. They have since changed their mind and have started on another APS-C, but it's not known if it will be a KPii or a K3iii released next It won't be ready until at least 2019

--

I could be dead by then
Maybe it is time to look somewhere else.

theonenadeem

Link Posted 14/02/2018 - 18:21
I dont think the K1 needs replacing .
Maybe add to the range with a lower priced version and a version with faster frame rates .
Something that makes manual focussing easier and or less pixels.

Regards

richandfleur

Link Posted 14/02/2018 - 18:56
I too think the K-1 is fine as is for now. When it does get upgraded properly, faster frame rates, a larger buffer and a higher res sensor etc are all likely to be the standard increments.

This 'new' version is borderline the same camera with improved firmware capabilities, and I don't think that will go down well with the press.

kea828

Link Posted 14/02/2018 - 19:33
Algernon wrote:
It's already been reported on other forums that the KP was intended to replace the K3ii. They have since changed their mind and have started on another APS-C, but it's not known if it will be a KPii or a K3iii released next It won't be ready until at least 2019

I thought that Pentax had stated that the KP wasn't a replacement for the K3 / K3ii. I've always thougt of it as a replacement for the K5ii / K5iis.
Regards,
Kea828

Algernon

Link Posted 14/02/2018 - 19:43
Two reliable sources who have inside information have confirmed that it was to be the top APS-C model and that originally there were no plans for another K-3 model. Full story on the other forums.

--

Algi

ronniemac

Link Posted 15/02/2018 - 11:32
1stEverPentax wrote:
If this newer model turns out, as likely to be, merely a tweaked version of the K-1, their marketing department would have been better off reducing expectations by adding a '+' or 'Super' suffix to the nomenclature...K-1Plus or K-1Super...a bit like they did a decade ago with the earlier models...just being a bit more honest with customers would reduce the volume of negative feedback they are likely to create otherwise.

I'm just hoping that it's not called the K-1*ist.

The rumour mill seems to be upsetting a lot of people over in DPReview but it makes good sense to import the high iso technology that was already developed for the K-70 and KP into the K-1 rather than hold it back for a major release. I read somewhere that Ricoh only intend a major upgrade after three years and given the current K-1 is such a fine camera, and I'm OK with that. Regarding minor upgrades:

1. Only a few people will upgrade from K-1 to K-1ii or whatever it's called.
2. Most existing K-1 owners seem to be happy with what they have.
3. The better high iso performance will doubtless help persuade new buyers that Pentax FF is worth investing in.

Now that the ground breaking K-3ii has been discontinued, maybe it will be replaced with a major upgrade so that Pentax offer a state of the art crop sensor semi-pro /enthusiast camera in the same vein. That is where the real catch up has to happen, taking the best features of the K-1 and KP and including other long asked for improvements.

Of course if Pentax could speed up the development and delivery of all the new lenses on their roadmap, that would do much more for sales of the K-1 and indeed apsc bodies as well.

Algernon

Link Posted 15/02/2018 - 16:32
ronniemac wrote:
I'm just hoping that it's not called the K-1*ist.

I'm probably the only person that thought *ist was a very clever name I even thought of changing my name to *ist*

I'm quite sure that Mr Pentax intended it to be pronounced Starist after all no one calls the * Lenses "asterisk Lenses"

It also ties in with the MS DOS WILDCARD *.* which is pronounced "Star-Dot-Star". There was even a PC magazine of that name.

I still might change my name to "Starist Star"
--

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 15/02/2018 - 16:37

richandfleur

Link Posted 15/02/2018 - 20:58
ronniemac wrote:
the high iso technology that was already developed for the K-70 and KP

Didn't the KP physically have a new chip to help with the noise reduction? Not sure if this improved on RAW files, or just JPEGs. Looked good for sure whatever they did, just not sure if they can release this as software only, without a hardware change as well.

ronniemac wrote:
the ground breaking K-3ii

I always found the K-3ii to be a different configuration of the K-3, so a parallel line like other companies are doing with their s versions at the moment.
You got the same K-3, just with inbuilt GPS and improved stabilisation (in stills mode only ). It's well overdue for a real replacement now. Even if the KP was intended as this replacement, it didn't improve on several key areas of the K-3, and felt quite different in target audiences.

Agree with all the comments here though really. If it's a K-1 special refresh model (and not just being silver coloured) then it's an improved option for new buyers.

If Pentax are selling a whole new model, where the bulk of the changes are software and could be applied to the original K-1, then this puts Pentax way out of touch with market trends today, and will not go down well with owners and reviewers.
Last Edited by richandfleur on 15/02/2018 - 21:02

McGregNi

Link Posted 15/02/2018 - 21:06
Algernon wrote:
I've not seen the K Exclamation Mark

.... With a new world first ...Automatic Dioptre correction !
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.