Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Look like K1 II is minor update

mille19
Posted 14/02/2018 - 07:01 Link
If this rumour is true it looks to me like the K1 II is just a minor update (not enough to entice me to FF)
Hopefully this years major announcement will be high speed K3 replacement
K1 upgrade
richandfleur
Posted 14/02/2018 - 07:44 Link
Yikes that looks quite sad really
RobL
Posted 14/02/2018 - 07:58 Link
If the links on the site are true then the changes in the K1-II were intended as a software upgrade to the original model but cancelled for this launch instead. Not an appealing strategy. If they are hoping K1 owners will rush to trade up they will be disappointed.
Nigelk
Posted 14/02/2018 - 08:34 Link
If correct, not really an upgrade path more an attempt to keep the value of the camera up, I would think. The K-1 doesn't seem old enough to warrant a full new replacement.
Like Steve I'm happy sticking with APS-C. I'm looking forward to hearing what the new DA* 11-18mm is like. Will it be worth upgrading from my trusty Sigma 10-20mm ?
RobL
Posted 14/02/2018 - 08:53 Link
Nigelk wrote:
If correct, not really an upgrade path more an attempt to keep the value of the camera up, I would think. The K-1 doesn't seem old enough to warrant a full new replacement.
Like Steve I'm happy sticking with APS-C. I'm looking forward to hearing what the new DA* 11-18mm is like. Will it be worth upgrading from my trusty Sigma 10-20mm ?

It is also not old enough to warrant ending software upgrades to the K1 which, if the rumour is true, will be the result.
Algernon
Posted 14/02/2018 - 09:00 Link
It's got a 'SNOOZE' Button that wakes you up in 2 years time for the next Rumour

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
richandfleur
Posted 14/02/2018 - 09:04 Link
RobL wrote:
If the links on the site are true then the changes in the K1-II were intended as a software upgrade to the original model but cancelled for this launch instead. Not an appealing strategy.

Fully agree.

Doesn’t provide confidence that you’ll be looked after moving forward, even if your existing hardware is capable of running the improved software developments.
LennyBloke
Posted 14/02/2018 - 09:19 Link
This move "buys" Pentax a little time before it offers a real upgrade over the K1 (Mk1) - there may be a handful of users who will "upgrade", there will some non FF users who will consider it the right time to jump aboard, and it will hopefully allow resource to be deployed in other areas over the next few months (APS-C, 645 Super, Lenses, etc).

I appreciate that the current K1 appears "lacking" for some users, but I suspect many owners are more than happy - and hopefully other format users will be even happier later in the year

I assume the K1 has been considered a success by Ricoh - I was surprised by how many on the Forums bought one so quickly - and I would predict that they will follow the same pattern of Major then Minor versions (utilising the core of the original body) over the next few years.
LennyBloke
mille19
Posted 14/02/2018 - 09:34 Link
I must admit I'm quite happy with this, when I saw the K1II announced I was thinking maybe the K3II replacement had been put on hold.
Looking at the K1 upgrade I don't think a lot of resource will have been used so hopefully the K3II replacement has been developed along with the K1 upgrade.
johnriley
Posted 14/02/2018 - 09:40 Link
The K-1 is already a staggeringly good camera, Pentax hit the ground running when they went into full frame. This is probably no real surprise as it was many years in the making and Pentax are already very good at making cameras.

The Mark II rumours would not tempt me to upgrade, but I don't intend to anyway, not until something seriously breaks down anyway. It could reassure those who worry that the longer term doesn't look good, but it never does, no matter what is released. If we look back over the forum I think we'll find a long history of posters predicting doom.

Things just keep going though, and according to the reps at the last event I was at 2018 is planned to be an exciting year. I guess we'll find out.
Best regards, John
dangie
Posted 14/02/2018 - 11:58 Link
Canon and Nikon to name but two, often (or should I say very often) bring out new models with little difference from the models they replace, usually once or even twice a year. Pentax have never done that.

Pentax are often criticised by the photographic media for not following suit. Of course the media have their own interests at heart. No new models.... nothing to write about or test. That's why they drool over Canon and Nikon. They have convinced the buying public that no new models is negative.

My K-5 is over 7 years old. Positively ancient in digital camera terms. Yet it still produces technically excellent images.

So ok, Pentax have made only small upgrades to the K-1, but with the rest, as they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it...!!
6th Year Apprentice Pensioner
ilovesaabs
Posted 14/02/2018 - 13:56 Link
johnriley wrote:
The K-1 is already a staggeringly good camera, Pentax hit the ground running when they went into full frame. This is probably no real surprise as it was many years in the making and Pentax are already very good at making cameras.

The Mark II rumours would not tempt me to upgrade, but I don't intend to anyway, not until something seriously breaks down anyway. It could reassure those who worry that the longer term doesn't look good, but it never does, no matter what is released. If we look back over the forum I think we'll find a long history of posters predicting doom.

Things just keep going though, and according to the reps at the last event I was at 2018 is planned to be an exciting year. I guess we'll find out.

Fully agree, it is an awesome camera, just debating whether to fully invest in DFA/DFA* glass to replace my FA* variants. However, I will find myself replacing my external HDDs before replacing my K1 and D810...Just processing my Cuba photos and the TIFFS coming out of lightroom are a staggering 200MB...
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff
Algernon
Posted 14/02/2018 - 14:40 Link
Can't the TIFFS be compressed? Try Ziping or Raring them.

--

Algi
Gwyn
Posted 14/02/2018 - 15:00 Link
I'll wait, and hope for a K3SF* soon. Or not.

*K3Superfast
Algernon
Posted 14/02/2018 - 15:25 Link
It's already been reported on other forums that the KP was intended to replace the K3ii. They have since changed their mind and have started on another APS-C, but it's not known if it will be a KPii or a K3iii released next It won't be ready until at least 2019

I have little faith in their marketing if they thought the KP would suffice as the top APS-C model.

The new K1ii is improved for taking better photographs which is upsetting to quite a lot of people

--

Algi
Edited by Algernon: 14/02/2018 - 15:26

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.