London Tube pics from 70s and 80s

Smeggypants

Link Posted 10/01/2014 - 07:49
London Tube pics from 70s and 80s

You know we spend a lot of time arguing the toss about the tiny minutiae of differences between AA filter and no AA filter and the various characteristics of various lenses and other nonsense ( and I happily admit I'm just as guilty as anyone else ) , but at the end of the day does it really matter?

Some of these pics are just wonderful! Some of them are just great, and some of them a great becuase of the historical value fantastic stuff.

But none of them fit into the ultra high IQ ideal many contemporary hobby photographers try to attain but frankly they have far more soul than any of the typical soul-less "long exposure blurred water, ultra sharp, sunset high contrast beach" shots or "single tree in a misty field" shots that have been done to death and seem like they are photography by numbers by religiously following some article in Outdoor Photographer magazine.

These sort of pics inspires me to think less and less about the technical stuff and concentrate on the content.

Enjoy!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2536638/London-Underground-life-caught-c...
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

08tiger

Link Posted 10/01/2014 - 08:18
Thanks for sharing the link, I really enjoyed those.
C&C welcome.
Don.

johnriley

Link Posted 10/01/2014 - 08:27
It is the historical context that makes these interesting. Only a few are good photographs as photography goes, but the content will always win over the technical aspects.

Now without people taking images like that, our future will be a bleakly blank canvas. It's a powerful reminder to record the world around us.
Best regards, John

08tiger

Link Posted 10/01/2014 - 08:42
Trouble is John how much of the digital stuff will be lost to the future generations when hard drives are lost or destroyed? cant beat the old photo album, the prints may fade or get grotty but can still be viewed.
C&C welcome.
Don.

johnriley

Link Posted 10/01/2014 - 09:16
It's going to be a problem Don. If I find a suitcase full of old prints in Granny's attic I might enjoy looking through them. If I find a suitcase full of CDs and DVDs, all nicely aged and possibly corrupted anyway, I might never get round to seeing what's on them.
Best regards, John

Smeggypants

Link Posted 10/01/2014 - 09:59
johnriley wrote:
It is the historical context that makes these interesting. Only a few are good photographs as photography goes, but the content will always win over the technical aspects.

Now without people taking images like that, our future will be a bleakly blank canvas. It's a powerful reminder to record the world around us.

Yes exactly, this is why I look with sadness at those who delete so much of their stuff as I know that they've got rid of something that will be highly valuable in a couple of decades time.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

McGregNi

Link Posted 10/01/2014 - 10:27
Old shots like this, with their rekindling of personal memories and insight back into the past, will always hold a value and fascination that stands up in spite of the technology involved - in this case the particular film grain and the tones of the colours add to the history as well.

As a set I appreciate these aspects, but in terms of the events and individual stories they illustrate I find them fairly mundane. And I don't agree that modern IQ improvements are irrelevant here - I think if these had the crispness, cleanness, clarity and detail of the best digital can offer now they would in fact come to greater life and offer up a whole new punch that they lack.

There's a guy who shoots in a sort of 'large format architectural style' (the best I can describe the techniques)', but he shoots environmental portraits like that - amazing stuff like old 70's swimming pools in Detroit with one child looking mournfully at the camera, that sort of thing, its incredibly effective and has wow impact - and a great deal of that is down to the high technology and the extraordinary sense of presense that it brings.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Last Edited by McGregNi on 10/01/2014 - 10:31

digikid-tv

Link Posted 10/01/2014 - 10:59
Another photographer's work on the same subject from the 80's I believe

link

And the 90's

link

Look at all the broadsheet newspapers - tablets and phones nowadays.
John

Algernon

Link Posted 10/01/2014 - 11:29
These are all quite appalling.... I would sooner look at
paint drying!

Oddly the photo that stopped me dead in my tracks, because I'd
never seen bokeh like it in the 70's was at a Cartier Bresson
Exhibition and was taken on a train. If I'd known what lens
he used I would have bought one

Unfortunately the bokeh doesn't come across in the small copies....
http://www.artgalleryartist.com/photography/henri-cartier-bresson/imagepages/ima...

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 10/01/2014 - 11:36

McGregNi

Link Posted 10/01/2014 - 11:51
digikid-tv wrote:
Another photographer's work on the same subject from the 80's I believe

link

Thanks for the link - these don't have any impact on me ... just tired people on a mundane journey. I don't think even high resolution modern technology would rescue these.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

McGregNi

Link Posted 10/01/2014 - 11:55
Algernon wrote:
These are all quite appalling.... I would sooner look at paint drying!

Agreed! ... and just imagine now, if that paint was shot with a high resolution sensor with aa filter simulat .....
Last Edited by McGregNi on 10/01/2014 - 11:55

digikid-tv

Link Posted 10/01/2014 - 11:59
The 'KFC style colonel' in Bob Mazzer's photos was a work colleague of mine in the mid 80's to mid 90's. Real name Pete, pictured here with his partner and son.

He came to work dressed like this every day.
John

gartmore

Link Posted 10/01/2014 - 15:17
Algernon wrote:
These are all quite appalling.... I would sooner look at
paint drying!

Oddly the photo that stopped me dead in my tracks, because I'd
never seen bokeh like it in the 70's was at a Cartier Bresson
Exhibition and was taken on a train. If I'd known what lens
he used I would have bought one

Unfortunately the bokeh doesn't come across in the small copies....
http://www.artgalleryartist.com/photography/henri-cartier-bresson/imagepages/ima...

--

in your opinion Algi, I think they're really very good but, then, I'm not a pictorialist nor do I think bokeh ( the out of focus rendition of nothing very much) gives any content to an image
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 10/01/2014 - 15:45
Interesting how people have different takes on things!

I like 'pictorialism' but I also like the gritty, content-led, storytelling approach to these images. Nearly all the images make you wonder about the people pictured and draw you into their world. The time which has elapsed since they were taken makes them more interesting, but I think most of them have more than a 'historical' interest.

I'm a fan of bokeh but clearly bokeh is beside the point here...
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

coker

Link Posted 10/01/2014 - 16:58
Pentaxophile wrote:
Interesting how people have different takes on things!

I like 'pictorialism' but I also like the gritty, content-led, storytelling approach to these images. Nearly all the images make you wonder about the people pictured and draw you into their world. The time which has elapsed since they were taken makes them more interesting, but I think most of them have more than a 'historical' interest.

I'm a fan of bokeh but clearly bokeh is beside the point here...

Absolutely agree!

Wonderful insight into life then, so different to now but, paradoxically, still the same.

Inspirational.

Thanks, Smeggy, for the link

Roger.
The more I look, the more there is to see!
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.