Posted 17/04/2012 - 00:57 Link
Some may see it as whinging, others may see it as dropping hints

John
John K
Blythman
Posted 17/04/2012 - 01:11 Link
johnriley wrote:
Blythman wrote:
As has been said many times, all current DSLRs should do a decent job and its best to handle each option before buying into a system. So, its a case of going into Jessops to try the 7D and the D7000, and NOT the K5

Not sure what help that is to a Pentax User....

About as much help as it is to increasing market share I reckon. What advise do you give to potential first time DSLR purchasers John?
Alan

PPG
Flickr
stub
Posted 17/04/2012 - 09:12 Link
It has been stated by the new Pentax management, in interview. That a new marketing strategy will be set up. this cannot be achieved overnight. so time has to be allowed for this. I only see this happening when the full range of new products is available. The greatest marketing tool wether we like it or not, is now the Internet. Where people can shop regionally or indeed internationally. So in my opinion high street presence is not the greatest of goals. With the demise of cameras retailers in general. Surely this is a problem for all manufactures. Personally I think the best way forward, would be to approach Tesco & Asda in the modern shopping times.
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..
johnriley
Posted 17/04/2012 - 09:27 Link
Quote:
What advise do you give to potential first time DSLR purchasers John?

The advice I give to first time DSLR purchasers is very much dependent on who they are and what they are trying to achieve. So I ask them lots of questions and also of course establish what they have come from and what they have used in the past.

Obviously a veteran film user will have some history and the choice for them will be clear. It's then just a matter of how much they want to spend, although with some marques limitations on using some lenses will also be a factor.

When I'm on a general forum I advise in general terms, but suggest that they don't overlook Pentax as I firmly believe that the marque offers the best option ifn terms of cost/quality/handling. Some people may want mega-brick DSLRs but I don't. I want high quality, weatherproof, ergonomically well thought out and compact kit that I can carry anywhere all day every day.

Which is why I'm here at Pentax User and not somewhere else.

So, for our first time purchaser here the choice is clear. K-r for lower cost but a great camera. K-5 if it can be afforded and especially if weeather resistance is needed. K-01 if SLR viewfinders are not required. Q if something really compact wanted that's more versatile than compacts.
Best regards, John
johnriley
Posted 17/04/2012 - 09:29 Link
Oops, forgot to mention lenses. Start with the kit lenses, and here the WR ones are obviously an advantage. Stretch to the 18-135mm if it can be afforded.
Best regards, John
Blythman
Posted 17/04/2012 - 09:48 Link
Interesting that you don't suggest holding a camera to see if its comfortable. I always include this in any converation I have now.

Just your well thought out ergonimic compact kit maybe considered completely unsuitable by someone else. Being too small and having buttons and dials in all the wrong places.
Alan

PPG
Flickr
johnriley
Posted 17/04/2012 - 10:03 Link
Ergonomics is indeed personal, but if it's a blank canvas then in one sense it matters less because people will get used to whatever they have. In some instances it's the getting used to things that actually impedes moving to something more efficient.

Giving advice is a dangerous sport and should be approached with care.

As for things being comfortable, I know you are trying to make a point in a roundabout way, but we all have plenty of freinds who own cameras. Have a look at theirs. Watch them struggle or operate well as you see things. See what they leave behind because it's too heavy. Observe the sagging shoulders from huge camera bags.

Ergonomics is more than just the camera. The next essential component is the right means to carry and deploy it.
Best regards, John
dangie
Posted 17/04/2012 - 12:51 Link
wvbarnes wrote:
...I'm amazed that Sheffield with over 500,000 population has no Pro dealer though!

I have a Pentax Pro dealer about 7 miles away but looking at the cameras in their window you would never know! In fact looking at their website the only Pentax camera shown is an Optio compact. Searching for Pentax lens brings up two Sigma in Pentax mount but no Pentax. It really is pretty poor.
6th Year Apprentice Pensioner
NeilP
Posted 17/04/2012 - 20:36 Link
Ive got usual curry/argos/comet on my list.

Funny to see Jessops in Romford. They have never stocked Pentax gear, at least int he last few years, certainly not on display.

As for Currys a year or so ago when buying a waterproof camera and asking about the W90 the sales rep nearly lost the sale with his 'Pentax haven't made a decent camera in years' comment.
aliengrove
Posted 17/04/2012 - 23:35 Link
You should try Doha...a saleman in the biggest camera shop here told me I must be mistaken; Pentax, whoever they are, are not a camera manufacturer.
El Dingo
Posted 18/04/2012 - 09:08 Link
I lurk around here and don't often post, but I have to say that this thread has wound me up a bit!

I'm lucky that I live close enough to a couple of Pentax dealers, including SRS.

I would never buy a camera or lens without trying it out first. Especially a lens - there are plenty of posts on this and other forums about 'problem' lenses - I have personally had to exchange a faulty lens, and not all internet retailers will do that without cost and/or hassle (and yes, I know SRS will).

Of course we are where we are with the High Street/internet.

I personally hope that Pentax do start to place more product on the High Street. The way to increase market share is to put the product into the physical hands of the punter!
El Dingo - K3-II and K10D
Edited by El Dingo: 18/04/2012 - 09:09
beakynet
Posted 18/04/2012 - 14:13 Link
This is turning into an interesting thread, I hope Pentax is looking at it!

I recently was in Madrid for a holiday and the only Pentax I saw on the high street or in use about town were mine and my two sons!

Recently I was in Netherlands on business in Utrech, there I found three camera shops - all had some Pentax gear in stock.
Bodies: K5IIs, K7, MZ5n, LX, MV
Lenses: DA*16-50, DA18-55WR, DA18-135, DAL35, M50 F2, A50 f1.4, FA50 f1.4, DA*50-135, DA55-300, Tamron 70-300, DFA 100 WR Macro, M135 f3.5, Sigma 120-400 APO DG HSM, Tokina 500 f8.0
Flash: Metz 58, Metz 48
Accessories: BG4, Pentax right angle finder, Pentax mirror adaptor lens, O-ME53 Viewfinder Loupe
Auto 110 System: Auto 110, Winder, 18mm, 24mm, 50mm, 70mm, 20-40mm, AF100P, 1.7x telecon
galeforce1
Posted 19/04/2012 - 00:15 Link
I was in the local PC World/Currys today, and they had a Pentax K-r on display, and that's about the only thing Pentax I've seen locally in recent weeks. Even some of the local camera shops, which advertise Pentax stuff as being 'in stock' on their websites don't actually have any at all when you go and visit the shops in person, a local Pentax Pro centre had only one Pentax lens in the shop and nothing else at all when I last visited a couple of weeks back. Looks like orders via the internet just get forwarded on to Pentax and items are despatched direct from there.

It wasn't this bad in recent years, so I hope things pick up again soon, I'd much rather try items out or have them in my hand before buying, but this is getting much harder, or almost impossible to do in many areas now.
DaveHolmes
Posted 19/04/2012 - 03:57 Link
(There is a point... and I'm being positive... keep reading...)

I did masses of research before buying my K-x, read loads and loads of reviews...
Had it down to the K-x, the Canon 400d and a Nikon (can't remember the model) of the same spec...
Went to Currys where they stocked both the CaNikon models and held them...
Immediately the Canon was out of the question as I just felt wrong in my hand and had not the build quality of the Nikon...
Luckily there is another store in Bradford that sells Pentax so I went there to try the K-x...
Ergonomically the K-x was very similar to the Nikon model...
My final decision came down to the fact that the Pentax came as part of a twin lens deal for the same price and the Nikon with one lens...

My point (although rambling) is that I was very close to buying the Nikon and if I hadn't have had the chance to handle the K-x I would have bought the Nikon, twin kit deal or not...
Yes value is important but the difference in price is fairly nominal when spending £450+ (at the time my buget was £500 and not a penny more)and consumers do want to touch cameras before they buy...
They've most likely already read a ton of reviews and have a 'short list' of possibilities; all that left is to see them in the flesh...

I'm coming around to the fact that the price increases (although sudden) are perhaps designed to level the playing field with retailers and make stocking Pentax more competitively attractive...
Maybe we'll see more Pentax cameras and lenses on shop shelves sooner rather than later... The prices may be higher than they once were online but we'll be able to try them in actual shops; and in the case of lenses bolt them to are actual cameras and try them...
As I'm already (what I consider to be) heavily invested, this is a good thing (isn't it?) in the long term

Fairly positive from me... Sorry bout that...
Digital:
Pentax K5- Vivitar 19mm 3.8; FA35mm f2; D-Xenon 100mm macro f2.8; DA50-200mm WR...
Flash:
Yongnuo YN-560; Vivitar 285HV; Cactus V4 triggers...
Film:
Pentax-MX & M50mm f1.4; Spottie & 55mm f1.8; MG & M40mm 2.8...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/daveholmesphotos/
caj26
Posted 19/04/2012 - 07:48 Link
I too did masses of research,glad I went to a dealer in Hereford, who love pentax and recommended it.They gave me one to look at.
I found the canon and nikions much heavier.
I've also found a LOT of prejudice agaist pentax which I don't understand.
I notice most independent shop seem to sell a small amount of pentax.One in Salisbury does.
I purchased from park cameras.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.