Lightroom V3.2, PSE, PS9, SilkyPix or what else is the BEST with RAW+ Postproduction?

SmutjeUK

Link Posted 16/12/2010 - 09:00
Hi all

I just wonder (but do not want to start a poll on it) what you are using for PP (Post Production or Editing) and where you feel the pitfalls or the strength of each of the product you use lies.
I am using at the moment Corel Draw X4 with Corel Photo Paint for creating advertising posters or Zoner Photo Studio 12 Professional as I got a free licence of someone for this one (he bought a 5 licence copy but uses only 3 licences).
I am quite happy with the above but find that some techniques are require either tutorials or some other form of help and that is when I get stuck.
Now in a few month I may be able to splash out on my long range zoom but it also should leave me with a good chunk to get a different PP program.
I tend (at the moment to either Lightroom3 or PS9, or I go one step down to Lightroom 2 or PS8 and then see if I can get a cheap(ich) upgrade.
However I realise that there are various other programs out there that may be of value and just be wondering where to invest my and how easy it would be to get my head around a mew workflow pattern with commands or icons may be totally different.
It seems to me at the moment that there is the most support for Photoshop followed by Photoshop Elements.
I mostly use RAW files and print up to A1 size (80% is up to A3 size the rest is bigger for photos only).
Any input would be greatly appreciated so I do not splash my (limited) cash in the wrong direction as it takes me ages to save up all the time for items.
Kind regards
SmutjeUK

It's nice to be nice!

Pentax K-5 with D-GB4 Grip, to many lenses to mention by now (serious LBA by now), TC's, Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW, Manfrotto 028 & Redsnapper RS-283 with various Heads plus various Camera Clamps (I collect them). Pentax AF 360FGZ, Pentax AF 240FT, several Metz 45 CT-1 & 5 with stands and 'Blow Up' Soft Boxes, Flash Triggers, and various Macro gear.

Gwyn

Link Posted 16/12/2010 - 09:47
I use PSE9 now - I used PSE6 until the Amazon deal noted in another thread.
ACR in PSE is not brilliant but it does the job.

One of these years I'll download a trial of Lightroom and see what I think of it. Otherwise I may go for Bibble, which I like and is very fast. Both are fully compatible with PSE.

thoughton

Link Posted 16/12/2010 - 09:55
I do 99% of my PP in Lightroom 3. The other 1% is mostly Photoshop, and that is almost entirely for masking, very occasionally to use PS's clone tool (which is much better than LR3's).
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27, Macbook Pro 17, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr Fluidr PPG Street Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!

walkeja

Link Posted 16/12/2010 - 11:28
What you see is what you get, do not use the computer except for cropping.
Pentax K1-ii and MZ6
Pentax Lenses 28-80 F, 300 DA*, 80-200 F, 35 F2.4 AL, M50 F1.7, 28-105 DFA, 20 F4 SMC
ONE UNITED Member

SmutjeUK

Link Posted 16/12/2010 - 11:57
walkeja wrote:

In parts I do agree but even in the 'good old days' there was a lot of editing and enhancing going on but it just was not as widely known to the 'non pro' apart from retouching.
All what really has changed is that by now you do it all on the computer and therefore it is now more in the 'non-pros' knowledge.
And I guess that some so called 'snappers' have now become serious 'semi pros' or even 'pros' because they can now create what they would like to no real cost other than the software and hardware needed which is just a fraction of just one A1 print in my 'pro' days in the late 70's with all the enlarging, printing etc done in a lab rather then at home in most of the cases.
I still have (and use) my B&W Darkroom Equipment but it becomes more and more difficult to get hold of the chemicals needed in the lower quantity that I would require them. Doing it all on the computer is becoming more and more cost effective.
Like I say, in parts I do agree but this is a sign of the time we are living in and even big pro labs use computers by now only thing is that I be very jealous of the printers they have got
Kind regards
SmutjeUK

It's nice to be nice!

Pentax K-5 with D-GB4 Grip, to many lenses to mention by now (serious LBA by now), TC's, Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW, Manfrotto 028 & Redsnapper RS-283 with various Heads plus various Camera Clamps (I collect them). Pentax AF 360FGZ, Pentax AF 240FT, several Metz 45 CT-1 & 5 with stands and 'Blow Up' Soft Boxes, Flash Triggers, and various Macro gear.

thoughton

Link Posted 16/12/2010 - 12:02
SmutjeUK wrote:
walkeja wrote:

In parts I do agree

I don't agree at all
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27, Macbook Pro 17, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr Fluidr PPG Street Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!

SmutjeUK

Link Posted 16/12/2010 - 12:27
thoughton wrote:
SmutjeUK wrote:
Quote:

In parts I do agree

I don't agree at all

I agree on the part of 'what you see is what you get' part. If you see black in your viewfinder or just the body of a person you only will get that and can not magically make everything appear (now would that not be an idea?).
Editing a picture has been done since day one of photography and just the means have changed by today.
But some people may be perfectly happy with each picture they get, good for them but on the whole that works not for me.
Sometimes you need to take more then one or two pictures just to get a more relaxed picture.
Kind regards
SmutjeUK

It's nice to be nice!

johnriley

Link Posted 16/12/2010 - 12:31
The trouble is that what you see isn't what you get - digital images are intrinsically soft out of camera and need sharpening. I can't see what could be wrong with adjusting brightness, contrast and colour and also composition as required, just as a darkroom worker would.

In fact, just relax and enjoy doing whatever we want with our images!
Best regards, John

PaulEvans

Link Posted 16/12/2010 - 17:45
I use LR3 for 95% of all my PP work apart from stitching the panoramas which gets done in PSE9.
If LR3 could stitch I'd never use anything else.
The full ACR in LR3 is much better than the cut down version in PSE9.
If you buy old LR and/or PSE it may limit your choices of RAW converter (and hence camera) in future - unless you save your RAW in DNG format!

Paul
K3ii, DA16-85, DA35mm Limited, FA77mm Limited, 55mm f1.8 K, 135mm f3.5 M, DA300, DA 1.4 HD TC,
DA16-45, Sigma 15mm f2.8. Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro

Mannesty

Link Posted 16/12/2010 - 18:02
LR 3.3 for me for 99.9% of my editing. If you are still on LR 3.2 you need to update it to 3.3
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

tomkeet

Link Posted 16/12/2010 - 18:50
Mannesty wrote:
LR 3.3 for me for 99.9% of my editing. If you are still on LR 3.2 you need to update it to 3.3

Agree totally with Peter.
Regards
Tom

K-3iii's.
SMC PENTAX-DA FISH-EYE 1:3.5-4.5 10-17mm ED [IF], SMC PENTAX-DA* 1:2.8 16-50mm ED AL [IF] SDM,
SMC PENTAX-DA 1:4 15mm ED AL Limited, SMC PENTAX-DA 1:3.2 21mm AL Limited,
SMC PENTAX-F 1:2.8 28mm, SMC PENTAX-FA 1:2 35mm AL,
SMC PENTAX-FA 1:1.4 50mm, SMC PENTAX-DA 1:2.4 70mm Limited,
SMC PENTAX-D FA MACRO 1:2.8 100mm WR, SMC PENTAX-DA* 1:4 300mm ED [IF] SDM,
HD PENTAX-DA 1:5.6 560mm ED AW,
HD PENTAX -DA 1.4x AW AF REAR CONVERTER,
PENTAX AF160FC Auto Macro Ring Flash.

https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artist-gallery/?artist_id=20168301

amoringello

Link Posted 16/12/2010 - 21:13
Uses to be a huge SilkyPix fan. You could squeeze out better color and noise fixing that with LR.
Sadly, it sort of stagnated. Never fully built up a good set of non-destructive tools; paintbrush, gradient, etc... that LR now has. Plus their stone-aged licensing (at least here in the US) caused me to drop them.
Although you could tweak out better images than on LR, it took a bit of work to get better results then LR. Extra work for very little gain when you really get down to what a third party will ever notice. Extra work that takes time away from my enjoying photography and from making money on photos... spending an extra minute or six on each photo just wasn't financially sound.

To stake the dead horse been further, now at LR3, I wonder if it stands up at all. Certainly with the super noise reduction in LR3, I really doubt SilkyPix could hold its own.

PaintShop Pro was great at version 9, a bit slow as I believe it was built on Macromedia framework (UGH!!) Once they went to version 10 (new owner of Corel), everything went to hell. Color calibration was trash. I would hope the latest version is better, but I believe it is still very slow and never heard if color calibration ever got fixed.

I think your only real choices are LightRoom 3.3, and if you need extra processing work, Photoshop Elements.
Everything else pales.

ACDSee Pro Photo manager used to be great. If they ever fixed huge (HUGE) issues, that might be a great alternative to LightRoom. I preferred its cataloging workflow to LightRoom's. Just with v2.5 and the next couple versions it went completely down the tubes.
It has some interesting RAW processing. It was always very FAST!! Much much faster than lightRoom, even than lightRoom3. It was the one thing that kept me from moving to a Mac many years ago. (Then they broke everything and I had not reason to stay with Windows. If they every fix their issues I might even move back. )

Smeggypants

Link Posted 17/12/2010 - 00:26
thoughton wrote:
SmutjeUK wrote:
Quote:

In parts I do agree

I don't agree at all

I don't agree at all either. I use LR3.3 for 99.9% of my editing and I love adding post production tweaks for both artistic and general improvement reasons. Each to their own though. I'm not into purism.

And yes update to LR3.3 if you are using anything older.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

Smeggypants

Link Posted 17/12/2010 - 00:27
johnriley wrote:
The trouble is that what you see isn't what you get - digital images are intrinsically soft out of camera and need sharpening.

Yup! - I autmatically add sharpening and a Fill light boost to everything I import into Lightroom

Quote:

I can't see what could be wrong with adjusting brightness, contrast and colour and also composition as required, just as a darkroom worker would.

In fact, just relax and enjoy doing whatever we want with our images!

Indeed. Nothing wrong with doing anything if it looks good to you
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

cabstar

Link Posted 17/12/2010 - 01:09
Lightroom 3.3 always add a boost to recovery & sharpen, also metatag, on import myself, then work my way down the develop module on all photos.

If you want to get Lightroom for 70ish become a student by joining a free computer course at your local college. This will then give you a student number & ID which will make you eligible for student rate.

If you have children at school with a school email address this will also make you eligible for student edition.
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.