Lightroom demo/wildlife talk at club

Blythman

Link Posted 07/03/2013 - 22:05
My first stint as a speaker at my camera club.

Did a practical demonstration of lightroom with Q&A. Followed by a presentation of 35 of my wildlife shots.

Seemed to go down very well
Alan

PPG
Flickr

Mike-P

Link Posted 07/03/2013 - 23:16
I went to my local club last night (second time). Not saying they are getting on a bit or anything but they were asking for photos to put in their calender and I thought I would submit this one with the title "New Milton camera club yearly outing".

To be honest I doubt I will bother again,
They meet weekly and apart from a couple of talks the rest of the evenings are taken up by competitions. It seems most meetings go like this:

Competition
Submit pictures
Judge looks at 50% of them
Coffee break (everyone huddles into little groups and chats)
Judge looks at the other 50%
Judge judges
everyone makes a break for the door to get home

That will teach me to live in an area where Top Gear tested their old person car conversion the other week.
. My Flickr
Last Edited by Mike-P on 07/03/2013 - 23:17

mille19

Link Posted 08/03/2013 - 08:19
Mike-P wrote:
It seems most meetings go like this:

Competition
Submit pictures
Judge looks at 50% of them
Coffee break (everyone huddles into little groups and chats)
Judge looks at the other 50%
Judge judges
everyone makes a break for the door to get home

Sounds like my camera club.
I did stick with it for a couple of years and did learn quite a lot.
I think a lot of camera clubs seem to be like this, too competition based for my liking. I found myself taking photos for competitions instead of taking photos I like and enjoy taking.

damperman

Link Posted 08/03/2013 - 08:39
Our camera club only meets once a month, and we only have 4 competitions a year. The rest is made up by guest speakers and demonstrations.

DaveHolmes

Link Posted 08/03/2013 - 08:48
Blythman wrote:

Did a practical demonstration of lightroom with Q&A. Followed by a presentation of 35 of my wildlife shots.

I did a five minute talk at my camera club on a night entitled "My Other Passion" ...
I think the club president thought I'd talk about Theatre but I shocked everyone with 5 minutes on the process of good sandwich making...
Digital:
Pentax K5- Vivitar 19mm 3.8; FA35mm f2; D-Xenon 100mm macro f2.8; DA50-200mm WR...
Flash:
Yongnuo YN-560; Vivitar 285HV; Cactus V4 triggers...
Film:
Pentax-MX & M50mm f1.4; Spottie & 55mm f1.8; MG & M40mm 2.8...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/daveholmesphotos/

johnriley

Link Posted 08/03/2013 - 08:50
Camera clubs/Photographic Societies do vary quite a bit. It depends very much on the people concerned. Some are very welcoming, some are like intruding into a private conversation, and all things between of course.

Competitions have a place, but if there are too many it does get brather samey. At their best they encourage people to up their game. At their worst it makes people start shooting for competition and they can lose sight of their own creativity.

I enjoy competitions as another way to get images out there to be seen. What I shoot, I shoot because I want to, not because it's a "competition shot".
Best regards, John

walkeja

Link Posted 08/03/2013 - 10:20
johnriley wrote:

I enjoy competitions as another way to get images out there to be seen. What I shoot, I shoot because I want to, not because it's a "competition shot".

And that is the fault of the weekly, fortnightly and monthly competitions on this site, they have to be taken within that timeframe.

Take this month's monthly competition, reflections, I have some, Ithink, good shots which meet the criteria of the competition except they were taken in the USA last September.
Pentax K1-ii and MZ6
Pentax Lenses 28-80 F, 300 DA*, 80-200 F, 35 F2.4 AL, M50 F1.7, 28-105 DFA, 20 F4 SMC
ONE UNITED Member

Mike-P

Link Posted 08/03/2013 - 10:27
walkeja wrote:

And that is the fault of the weekly, fortnightly and monthly competitions on this site, they have to be taken within that timeframe.
(

Actually I think that way is correct. If you look at the average age of the members in the club I went to and then add the fact they have been doing photography for probably half their life (at least) then they more than likely have thousands and thousands of pictures dating back 30+ years to choose from... bit unfair for the people that have only been doing it for a short time.

Also I live just outside an area that has people with quite a large disposable income ... some of the trips they have been on just to get pictures is unbelievable ... although that's just jealousy on my part
. My Flickr

stub

Link Posted 08/03/2013 - 10:40
Well said Mike. I totally agree. Another point to mention is that the older long standing members have had to reinvent themselves, If possible in the digital world. This is not always easy, and frustration creeps in as they now have in some cases, more limited processing skills to the ones they once posessed. Clubs will never be all things to all men, or women. They have their place as a gathering of like minded people.
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..

SteveF

Link Posted 08/03/2013 - 10:55
"And that is the fault of the weekly, fortnightly and monthly competitions on this site, they have to be taken within that timeframe."

Only the monthly competition is time constrained, you can enter anything from your back catalogue in the weekly competition (or shoot specifically for it, of course if you wish)
Last Edited by SteveF on 08/03/2013 - 10:56

davidtrout

Link Posted 08/03/2013 - 11:09
Its depressing to read some of these comments on camera clubs. Thank God mine isn't like that. At Durham PS there's a buzz as you walk through the door. Half an hour before the meeting starts the room is already nearly full of people. An average Thursday night meeting attracts around 70 members.
Yes we have lots of competitions but many these are for beginners to encourage our newer members. We also get lots of great visiting speakers. Last night we had Ann and Steve Toon, professional wildlife photographers and journalists who showed amazing pictures taken in Africa.
Because we are the biggest camera club in the Northern Counties Photographic Federation with a membership of more than 100 we can afford to pay for better class speakers and often team up with the Royal Photographic Society to share the fees for big names touring the North.
Our activities are not restricted to Thursday night meetings. We have monthly digital imaging workshops and a monthly assignment outing to a location with photo opportunities. Tomorrow we are off to Middlehaven, the modernised area of the old Middlesborough docklands.
We have coffee together, meet up for lunch and everyone chats; this helps new members and old hands get to know each other. We have an annual print exhibition in Durham Cathedral, another in Durham University's Botanic Gardens and regular mini exhibitions in local libraries and Durham Town Hall.
The photography from all our members is terrific. Our begginers constantly amaze us with their fantastic images. We regularly get images accepted in international exhibitions and for the second successive year Durham PS has qualified to represent the NCPF at the annual projected images competition run by the Photographic Alliance of Great Britain at Warwick University.
In the recent PAGB club championship Durham PS was placed 12th among all the competiting camera clubs in the country.
As for other camera clubs in the North East, I can say from personal experience that Hexham PS and Whitley Bay PS also have a great atmosphere when you walk in to one of their club night meetings.
So not all camera clubs are dead on their feet, run by old fogies stuck in their ways.
One final thing, there's no equipment snobbery in our camera club. We are more interested in the images people produce than in the camera equipment they use.
David
PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidtrout
PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidtrout
Last Edited by davidtrout on 08/03/2013 - 11:10

johnriley

Link Posted 08/03/2013 - 11:09
SteveF is correct, only the monthly is time constrained. That's because the membership wanted such a competition, not because it was imposed.
Best regards, John

pentax

Link Posted 08/03/2013 - 11:26
Like John says not all clubs are alike. At Holmfirth where I am a member we limit the no of comps to 6 per year. Every body is welome of all abilitys and we are starting to see more younger members now joining. This year we have had 6 guest lectures. and more planned for next year.
Derek

Gamka

Link Posted 08/03/2013 - 12:21
Mike-P wrote:
I went to my local club last night (second time). Not saying they are getting on a bit or anything but they were asking for photos to put in their calender and I thought I would submit this one with the title "New Milton camera club yearly outing".

Is that the Junior Section?

tyronet2000

Link Posted 11/03/2013 - 11:19
Blythman wrote:

That is something I think I would have enjoyed Alan, especially the lightroom demo as I just don't seem to be able to get on with it.
Regards
Stan

PPG
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.