Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

light meter app

Posted 30/09/2019 - 22:24 Link
Hello

Rather than buy a light meter and regret the purchase. I thought that a light meter app may be a safer and economical purchase.
There seems to be a few , but I cannot distinguish between good and average.
I do not expect the app to be as good as a dedicated light meter , but it is a start.
I do not mind paying for the app.
As for the sake of a couple of pounds , I prefer the full version of the app, and without the constant messages to upgrade.
I am on the iOS platform.
If anyone has any experience , they care to share.this is appreciated.

Regards
Don
Posted 30/09/2019 - 22:37 Link
I tried an app for iPhone years ago and tested it side by side against my Polaris light meter, and camera light meter.
my Polaris was one of the cheapest flash meters on the market, but very accurate and reliable over the years. tested against my friends sekonic and accurate to 1/10th of a stop against a light meter that cost three times as much.

I can't remember the app I tried but I remember deleting it. it was rubbish.
I'm not sure what type of shooting you intend to use this with, but I suspect you'd fare better to get a grey card and learn to read your camera histogram to get accurate exposures for most situations....
or a used light meter perhaps.
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Edited by Don: 30/09/2019 - 22:42
pschlute
Posted 30/09/2019 - 22:54 Link
I have a MyLightMeter app on my iphone. Like any light meter app it makes use of the phone's camera's light meter and just gives you the numbers. For most "identical" scenes it seems to do the job correctly.

Handy if you occasionally use an old camera without a meter and don't want the expense of a new meter.
stub
Posted 01/10/2019 - 20:45 Link
If we are talking "Light Meter" Then there is no advantage over using your camera's meter system. If we are talking "Flash meter".. Them I'm not as yet aware of any worth getting involved with as yet.... But if you see any be sure to let me know
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..
Posted 02/10/2019 - 11:48 Link
According to the notes of the Mylightmeter app ,incident metering requires a diffuser to work.
There are no further details about diffuser.Although I have read about a Luxi diffuser for iPhone, but am unsure of compatibility.
I have emailed the developer of this app and a waiting for response.

Regards
Don
Posted 02/10/2019 - 13:09 Link
theonenadeem wrote:
According to the notes of the Mylightmeter app ,incident metering requires a diffuser to work.
There are no further details about diffuser.Although I have read about a Luxi diffuser for iPhone, but am unsure of compatibility.
I have emailed the developer of this app and a waiting for response.

Regards

expodisc was a diffuser lens meant to cover the lens of your camera to use as an incident meter... so I'd imagine the diffuser for an iPhone would be nothing more than a simple piece of white plastic about the thickness and density of a ping pong ball, just a lot smaller.
again... not much better than simply taking a standard meter reading off your hand and then opening up a stop and a half from the reflected reading.
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
davidwozhere
Posted 04/10/2019 - 01:09 Link
You can get a working Weston Master V for a tenner on E-Bay. What more do you want? Mine is still chugging along quite accurately and very happily.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd
michaelblue
Posted 04/10/2019 - 06:20 Link
davidwozhere wrote:
You can get a working Weston Master V for a tenner on E-Bay. What more do you want? Mine is still chugging along quite accurately and very happily.

One of the best light meters ever made
Regards,
Michael
Edited by michaelblue: 04/10/2019 - 06:21
Posted 15/11/2019 - 10:33 Link
The Light Meter app by David Quiles is the Android version of the myLightMeter for iOs devices. ... The reflected light meter works only with devices that are able to save exposure. The incident light meter works on any device but this depends on the device's quality.
>> working robux generator online

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.