Let me introduce myself and my Pentax gear..

tonza1992

Link Posted 05/11/2016 - 14:25
Hi everyone,

This is actually 2nd post, so I thought I would introduce myself and show you folk what I shoot with.

I'm a recent university graduate, with a passion for photography. I'm not really a professional photographer, but I have managed to exhibit some photographs in London. I do shoot digital, but I enjoy film photography more. Let me show you my Pentax weapons of choice..

Probably my favourtie shooter, the Pentax LX. I own four K mount lenses; 50mm f1.2 SMC, 50mm F1.4 SMC M, Vivitar 55mm F2.8 1:1 Macro and a Carl Zeiss 35mm Distagon F2, which is not shown (I'll show you guys later).

tonza1992

Link Posted 05/11/2016 - 14:34
The 50mm F1.4 is probably my main lens. I love it because it is quite small and light, so perfect for travelling. It's a general high performing lens. No cons that bother me.

I also managed to find this, kind of rare, Vivitar for cheap. I've only used it on one roll of film, so still need to get more practice with it. Focusing at close range is harder than you think! haha.

Finding this 50mm F1.2 without fungus or any blemishes was such a good feeling. It was sold in a big bunch of Pentax camera gear and I managed to get everything for quite cheap. Lucky! It's a heavy, high quality piece of kit. I've only just recently used it on a roll of film and it does perform well.

In the future I could scan some negatives and shown you folk!

tonza1992

Link Posted 05/11/2016 - 14:40
And now my first Pentax camera that I owned, the boss Spotmatic. Mine is a Spotmatic II, so it has the hotshoe on top. I was amazed to find this example in such clean condition, and all the lenses! I own a few Takumar lenses; Super-Takumar 50mm F1.4, SMC-Takumar 55mm F1.8, SMC-Takumar 28mm F3.5 and a great pre-set Takumar 105mm F2.8. I also own a Pentax Spotmeter, where it has helped me develop my metering skills with many ideas from legendary photographer Ansel Adams. It has helped me produce some cool night shots.

The following image was shot using the Pentax LX and 50mm F1.4 on a tripod and using the Spotmeter for metering. It was the first night I used the Pentax Spotmeter. I was quite happy with the image. I still need to practice using it though.

Finally, I have just acquired this rather rare M42 camera. Although not a Pentax camera, it was designed in homage to the Pentax Spotmatic and Topcon RE Super (on the silver Bessaflex). You might see some similarities, especially in the metering switch. Although the Bessaflex was surprisingly light! Have a look...

That is practically all my Pentax gear. Let me know what you think and share your Pentax film gear!
Last Edited by tonza1992 on 05/11/2016 - 15:10

tonza1992

Link Posted 05/11/2016 - 14:48
Well thanks guys and gals and I hope to hear from you Pentaxians soon. All the best!

JohnX

Link Posted 05/11/2016 - 15:51
Very interesting collection and back story, and a belated welcome even though you've been here 2 years.

Gear looks like it's in very good condition, and seems you're someone with an eye for a good deal?
Last Edited by JohnX on 05/11/2016 - 15:53

QuestionableCarrot

Link Posted 05/11/2016 - 16:12
what an odd post - no offence but I smell fish too often
Learn how to live and you'll know how to die; learn how to die, and you'll know how to live.

Check out ones photographs on Flickr!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/awprentice/

tonza1992

Link Posted 05/11/2016 - 16:12
JohnX wrote:
Very interesting collection and back story, and a belated welcome even though you've been here 2 years.

Gear looks like it's in very good condition, and seems you're someone with an eye for a good deal?

Haha yeah, I actually signed up two years ago as a Pentax repair shop gave a discount to members of this site, and I was looking to get some service on my Spotmatic. So I joined here but never was active in the forums. haha. Will be more active now. And yeah, I think patience is key when finding good deals. I don't have too much cash too spend, so that's why I wait for those special joblots that sometimes pop out. Internet has really helped the old film camera equipment!
All the best John!

tonza1992

Link Posted 05/11/2016 - 16:15
QuestionableCarrot wrote:
what an odd post - no offence but I smell fish too often

I don't really understand what you are trying to say, but anyways, I like being "odd". Better being different than a carbon copy of the norm.
Last Edited by tonza1992 on 05/11/2016 - 16:16

QuestionableCarrot

Link Posted 05/11/2016 - 16:38
Im a Questionable Carrot - Im odd too

nice gear but prefer my ME Super
Learn how to live and you'll know how to die; learn how to die, and you'll know how to live.

Check out ones photographs on Flickr!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/awprentice/

MikeInDevon

Link Posted 05/11/2016 - 17:03
Hi Tona, I really like your film gear and especially the Spotmeter, very interesting, do you use this for Zone method?

Looking forward to more scanned images from you.

Cheers
Mike

tonza1992

Link Posted 05/11/2016 - 17:58
MikeInDevon wrote:
Hi Tona, I really like your film gear and especially the Spotmeter, very interesting, do you use this for Zone method?

Looking forward to more scanned images from you.

Cheers
Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the comment. I actually do use it for the Zone Method. I stuck a little paper on the dial, to help me identify the zones when metering. I got this trick from Ansel Adam's book titled "The Negative". It's a real good read and part of a trilogy set.
All the best!

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 06/11/2016 - 08:34
Welcome to the forum and thanks for showing us all that nice gear.

Quite a few of us here shoot film as well as digital, so you're in good company.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

tonza1992

Link Posted 06/11/2016 - 14:10
Jonathan-Mac wrote:
Welcome to the forum and thanks for showing us all that nice gear.

Quite a few of us here shoot film as well as digital, so you're in good company.

Cheers bud. It's good to know there are still Pentax film aficionados around.

I actually will be displaying a few of my film photographs in an upcoming exhibition in Espacio Gallery, Brick Lane, London. Anyone is very welcome to drop by. The Private Viewing is on the 23rd of this month, 6pm-9pm. There will be an open bar . More details found here: http://www.espaciogallery.com/future-exhibitions.html
Last Edited by tonza1992 on 06/11/2016 - 14:12

cardiffgareth

Link Posted 23/11/2016 - 10:35
Welcome aboard
Gareth
Welsh Photographer

My outfit: K1 gripped - Pentax DFA 28-105mm - Sigma 70-200mm HSM Macro - Sigma 105mm - Pentax FA 35mm f2 - Tokina 20-35mm, Sigma 50-500mm - Pentax AF 540 FGZ Ii

My Flickr

My 500px

Stuey

Link Posted 23/11/2016 - 19:24
Hello and welcome ☺
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.