Lenses we use, lenses we don't...

johnriley

Link Posted 05/07/2011 - 17:23
We love lenses, don't we? Well I do anyway.

Sometimes the desire for a lens though can be greater than its actual usefulness. So the question is, of all the lenses you've been tempted to buy, which has been the most useful and which the least useful?

My most useful: SMC Pentax-DA 16-45mm f4

My least useful: SMC Pentax-FA 50mm f1.4
Best regards, John

Don

Link Posted 05/07/2011 - 17:26
this is prone to change over time... but for the moment:
my m50 1.4 is most useful, for video on the kr. Which I'm using a lot...
my sigma 400, least used for many years in a row....
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

Mike-P

Link Posted 05/07/2011 - 17:38
Most useful .. Sigma 50-500mmm Bigma

Least useful .. Pentax DA* 55mm f1.4.

As an added extra

Favourite lens, even though I don't use it that often .. Pentax DA* 60-250mm f4.
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

davex

Link Posted 05/07/2011 - 17:45
Most used Tamton 28-200mm
Favourite; tie between Sigma 150-500mm and 12-24
Least used DFA 100mm

Davex
K5 + 8mm-500mm zooms and primes
Please feel free to play with any images I post.
My flickr: link
Last Edited by davex on 05/07/2011 - 17:45

Anvh

Link Posted 05/07/2011 - 17:47
With the DA*50-135 i got the best photos but i use the DA*16-50 most often.
The two primes are the least used but they do come out on special occasions.
Maybe when i get more primes they will get used more since i love using them though.
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

gartmore

Link Posted 05/07/2011 - 18:00
At the moment for me, John, its:

least useful, SMC Pentax-DA 16-45mm f4
most useful, SMC Pentax-F 50mm f1.7

If each of us had only the wrong one we could have made a useful swap!

Like Mike-P I have a favourite I dont get to use much now, SMC Pentax 28mm f3.5 SHIFT.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

gartmore

Link Posted 05/07/2011 - 18:03
To save any embarrasment to the OP, I've corrected the mis-spelling of Lense (sic) in the thread title.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

cabstar

Link Posted 05/07/2011 - 18:17
Most useful DA* 50-135mm
Least useful F50mm 1.4 its a great lens, I just dont get to use it that much...
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

Northgrain

Link Posted 05/07/2011 - 18:50
Still building up my lens collection... so early days for this kind of response, but:

Most useful: DA40 Ltd. Constantly suprised by how often the framing I want is just about this FOV.

Least useful: Not enough lenses to find one I hardly use! Ask me again in a year
Tim

Some of my vaguely better stuff

johnwhit

Link Posted 05/07/2011 - 18:52
Really embarrassing,

Least useful FA*85/1.4, because I don't do portraits very often and when I do I use the DA-70 (I'll sell it for my next big purchase K-3, FA-31 Ltd WHY)

Most useful, but not most used DA-17-70/4 or DA*16-50/2.8

John
PPG link

In LBA hiatus.

Mannesty

Link Posted 05/07/2011 - 18:54
Most used - DA* 16-50mm and DA* 60-250mm equally.
Least used - FA 43mm Limited (but I'm not selling it).
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream
Last Edited by Mannesty on 05/07/2011 - 18:55

parigby

Link Posted 05/07/2011 - 18:56
I'm probably a little early in my Pentax life to answer this question properly - to explain. The K5 and supporting lenses have been purchased to back up my Leica M and Leica lenses, for when they are not the right kit for the situation before me.

Therefore at this moment in time, my all time most useful lens on the Leica M8 is a Summaron 35mm which left the Leica factory in Solms on the 4th May 1950. For me it is stunning, and that is all that matters. My least useful lens was a 90mm Leica, and so that went in part exchange for the Pentax K5.

Now l know that this approach won't suit everyone, but l hate being on holiday with a bagful of lenses and standing in front of subjects wondering which one to stick on the front of the camera. I therefore challenge myself by only taking one lens with me.

In a weeks time l disappear up the Norwegian Fiords with just a K5 and my FA43mm limited. I have had this lens for a couple of weeks and whilst not having used it extensively, l am starting to get the feeling that me and it and going to spend a lot of time together, unless the FA77mm ends up in the bag.

At the moment, l have to say that the FA43mm limited looks like it will be my most useful lens - what will end up the least useful, at this moment l haven't a clue.

regards ...... philip

johnriley

Link Posted 05/07/2011 - 19:01
Quote:
In a weeks time l disappear up the Norwegian Fiords with just a K5 and my FA43mm limited

That's brave.
Best regards, John

womble

Link Posted 05/07/2011 - 19:04
Bit hard to say really as I have never really quantified what I use and how often but I would say...

Used quite a bit a like a lot: SMC Pentax-M 100mm f/2.8

Used much less than it ought to be especially considering the cost: SMC Pentax-FA 43mm Ltd.

Of my expensive lens purchases (the DA* 50-135, the DA 12-24mm, the FA 43mm) I use the FA much less than I expected. I thought I might use it on film a fair bit but I tend to go for the 'K' 50mm f/1.2 as it is easier to focus manually, and on the SF1 and Z20 I use my F35-70 zoom.

All the same, I don't think I'll sell it and I still daydream of the other two FA Ltds...

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
Last Edited by womble on 05/07/2011 - 19:04

Don

Link Posted 05/07/2011 - 19:07
parigby wrote:
I'm probably a little early in my Pentax life to answer this question properly - to explain. The K5 and supporting lenses have been purchased to back up my Leica M and Leica lenses, for when they are not the right kit for the situation before me.

Therefore at this moment in time, my all time most useful lens on the Leica M8 is a Summaron 35mm which left the Leica factory in Solms on the 4th May 1950. For me it is stunning, and that is all that matters. My least useful lens was a 90mm Leica, and so that went in part exchange for the Pentax K5.

Now l know that this approach won't suit everyone, but l hate being on holiday with a bagful of lenses and standing in front of subjects wondering which one to stick on the front of the camera. I therefore challenge myself by only taking one lens with me.

In a weeks time l disappear up the Norwegian Fiords with just a K5 and my FA43mm limited. I have had this lens for a couple of weeks and whilst not having used it extensively, l am starting to get the feeling that me and it and going to spend a lot of time together, unless the FA77mm ends up in the bag.

At the moment, l have to say that the FA43mm limited looks like it will be my most useful lens - what will end up the least useful, at this moment l haven't a clue.

regards ...... philip

I don't know how things are in Norway, but 'round these parts you best be packing some pant's and bug spray...as well.
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Last Edited by Don on 05/07/2011 - 19:08
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.