Lenses For Aviation Photography

reso

Link Posted 17/12/2017 - 13:39
does anybody now if the firmware is to become avabile for the 55-300 plm for the k5iis ?
k5iis tamron 10-24 tamron 17-50 2.8 sigma 24-70 2.8 ex dg macro pentax f 35-80 pentax f 35-135 tamron 70-200 sp 2.8 sigma 120-400 apo dg hsm
kenko pz af 1.5 dg converter and a flash

Mike-P

Link Posted 17/12/2017 - 13:44
reso wrote:
does anybody now if the firmware is to become avabile for the 55-300 plm for the k5iis ?

Think they would have done it by now if they were going to.
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

jeallen01

Link Posted 17/12/2017 - 13:53
reso wrote:

I think we have long since realised that there will never be any further f/w updates to any of the K-5 series (that's been the general opinion on the US forum for several years)
K-3 II, K-3 and K-30 (now running the Hacked K-50 f/w, so it thinks it is one of those ), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)

Kim C

Link Posted 08/10/2018 - 22:20
For a "long" lens, I tend to use the 300/4 A* with the AF convertor. Though I have to admit I haven't done much aviation photography using long lenses. Most of mine was done using lens in the 35mm to 70mm range.

jeallen01

Link Posted 08/10/2018 - 22:45
Kim C wrote:
For a "long" lens, I tend to use the 300/4 A* with the AF convertor. Though I have to admit I haven't done much aviation photography using long lenses. Most of mine was done using lens in the 35mm to 70mm range.

That's fine if you have the benefit of flying alongside the target planes - OTOH, most of us definitely don't!

So, it all depends on the airshows and planes in question - for "big" shows then the planes are, nowadays, flying quite a long way from the crowdline (and thus from "you") and so, typically, you will probably need at least a 150/200mm, and probably longer, lens, whereas at smaller shows then a 70-100m min lens will probably work for some shots.

Thus, for most situations, a fast working zoom lens is far more practical - something like 70-300mm/100-400mm (so NOT much in Pentax KA-fit for the latter!) is more appropriate.

BTW, yesterday, I was at the relatively "small" (although "great"!) Shuttleworth "Race Day" show - I was using a Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 on the K-3 and a Sigma 100-300mm F4 on the K-3 II, and that generally covered most of the bases. OTOH, the ("oldish"!) guy (using a K10D!!!!) with a manual focus 400mm next to me seemed to have managed to take very few shots!

PS: the 55-300 PLM is probably not a good choice for airshows - when it loses focus on the "target" then "anything" can happen - as I found out at a Shuttleworth show earlier this year (and as confirmed by similar comments on the US forum).
K-3 II, K-3 and K-30 (now running the Hacked K-50 f/w, so it thinks it is one of those ), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)
Last Edited by jeallen01 on 08/10/2018 - 22:51

Kim C

Link Posted 08/10/2018 - 23:02
jeallen01 wrote:
Kim C wrote:

That's fine if you have the benefit of flying alongside the target planes - OTOH, most of us definitely don't!

So, it all depends on the airshows and planes in question - for "big" shows then the planes are, nowadays, flying quite a long way from the crowdline (and thus from "you") and so, typically, you will probably need at least a 150/200mm, and probably longer, lens, whereas at smaller shows then a 70-100m min lens will probably work for some shots.

Thus, for most situations, a fast working zoom lens is far more practical - something like 70-300mm/100-400mm (so NOT much in Pentax KA-fit for the latter!) is more appropriate.

BTW, yesterday, I was at the relatively "small" (although "great"!) Shuttleworth "Race Day" show - I was using a Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 on the K-3 and a Sigma 100-300mm F4 on the K-3 II, and that generally covered most of the bases. OTOH, the ("oldish"!) guy (using a K10D!!!!) with a manual focus 400mm next to me seemed to have managed to take very few shots!

PS: the 55-300 PLM is probably not a good choice for airshows - when it loses focus on the "target" then "anything" can happen - as I found out at a Shuttleworth show earlier this year (and as confirmed by similar comments on the US forum).

I must admit, it was meant as a tongue in cheek comment. I know I have been "spoilt". Not only in the air but on the ground as well. You are quite "right" much of the fun has gone out of the airshows these days. (And not just for the people on the ground. ) It used to be that the best day for photos was not the airshow but on the arrival and departure days. Then the usual "crowd line" rules did not apply and many of the departures were quite "spirited".

ilovesaabs

Link Posted 12/10/2018 - 13:48
jeallen01 wrote:
as are the "larger"150-500 & 50-500 Sigmas

I had the 150-500 Sigma which made way for 2 lenses - 1 I have (Nikkor 80-400) and 1 I still want (DA 150-450)... you need a lot of room in front of you with the Sigma...basically you need about 8-10 square feet of clear space in front of you at an air show as it was such a long lens - I only used it once at and air show (Shoreham 2015, before the crash) and altough I found a space people encroached on MY SPACE, only to wince when they where whacked with a lens hood during panning. I did remind them that I was already in the space....the Sigma also called for a monopod.... So a 55-300 or 80-320 FA is adequate if you don't want the burden of a huge lens.
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.