lens repair

redbusa99

Link Posted 03/09/2010 - 00:13
is there a good,honest idependant lens repair service that anyone knows of. bought a 170-500mm have a problem in that the max apeture stated on the lens(f5-6.3) is not seen by the camera(K7), the camera sees f4.5-6.7.
had a close look at the rear end of the lens today there are marks on the retaing nut on the rear element which suggest it may have been apart. there are also marks on the iris actuating lever. i imagine it just wants setting up properly.any help appreciated
odd lens or 2

Flickr

pentaxian450

Link Posted 03/09/2010 - 01:21
If I was you, I'd return it to the seller and ask for a refund, unless it was an exceptional deal.

You shouldn't have to send a lens to the repairman when you just bought it.
Yves (another one of those crazy Canucks)

redbusa99

Link Posted 03/09/2010 - 06:11
my first major bad buy from ebay. "no returns accepted "
any trading standards officers among us ?does "fit for purpose" give me a lever here to get a refund
odd lens or 2

Flickr
Last Edited by redbusa99 on 03/09/2010 - 06:39

dougf8

Link Posted 03/09/2010 - 07:07
If its a business then you have 7 days to return for any reason you want under "distance selling" regs. If its a private individual then its "buyer beware", however on ebay even if people say no returns there are gentle techniques for levering return.

Send them an email saying your unhappy as the lens is not in the condition advertised asking what to do about this. Usually they will accept the return and refund you.

If you want to keep the item suggest they refund you a suitable proportion of the paid amount.

If you are really miffed and they won't budge then open "item significantly not as described" dispute. Ebay will normally side with the buyer and force the seller to refund. You will have to follow the process to the letter, using trackable post etc..

In your case the listing did not mention the significant lack of function and marks suggesting it has been dismantled, both things which reduce the value and would have stopped you bidding in the first place.

Handy links to useful consumer forum.
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/ebay-protection
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=598590
Lurking is shirking.!
Last Edited by dougf8 on 03/09/2010 - 07:18

Mike-P

Link Posted 03/09/2010 - 08:22
Just stick a dispute into Paypal if they refuse to accept it back.

No returns accepted only covers the seller if the buyer has a change of mind .. I think it even says on Ebay that if the item is faulty then the payment can be reversed.
. My Flickr

johnriley

Link Posted 03/09/2010 - 08:27
Just be careful that the incorrect aperture readout isn't because of the inherent nature of the Sigma lens. Many of their lenses report wrong apertures or even descriptions as they are using outdated chips and reverse-engineering. This "fault" may be something the seller could know nothing about.

As for dismantling damage, that's a different issue.
Best regards, John

redbusa99

Link Posted 03/09/2010 - 11:04
in reply to Gareth, calming down a bit i was coming to that frame of mind. it still does what its supposed to do and John could be right.it is not damage just marks that make it appear it has been apart which then send doubts about the whole thing.
weighing it all up with 20 20 hindsight i probably let the fact it was not perfect get to me, but nothing is in this life and it,s too short to get stressed like that. so Gareth i will call it my quirky lens and use it. thanks to everyone
odd lens or 2

Flickr
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.