Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Landscapes are a difficult genre (to me)

Sry
Posted 30/03/2018 - 16:43 Link
(I thought I had posted this this morning, but I must have done something wrong, as it is nowhere to be found.)

I very much enjoy walking in the countryside and taking in the vistas, be they common or exceptional. Photographing them is another pair of sleeves (as we say in french) however, and I certainly need to work on that! Somehow I think at times that the lack of an OVF on my K-01 could be part of the problem, as I just can't "see" on the back screen the seemingly obvious composition that stands in front of me. Then again I'm probably just looking for at least one excuse An imminent trip to Ireland will hopefully force me to think/act/improve!

Comment Image
Coursac, 2018 by sry, sur Flickr
alfpics
Posted 30/03/2018 - 22:16 Link
Your photo is a real beauty, and works well in B&W IMO. I have to say I don't find using a screen natural, but then I have been relying on an optical viewfinder for over 40 years
Andy
doingthebobs
Posted 30/03/2018 - 22:52 Link
Know exactly what you mean.
Using the screen occasionally in live view is ok but using the viewfinder is so much better. I seem to be involved with the image somehow when using the viewfinder. Just not the same looking at the screen.
It also doesn't help that I need the glasses on for close viewing the screen but the viewfinder adjusts for my eyesight.

I have a Q, and I found that difficult. I ended up buying a clip-on finder for one of the old 35mm rangefinder cameras. Not the complete answer as it will only work with some lens focal lengths. The Pentax one was too expensive for me.
Bob
johnriley
Posted 30/03/2018 - 23:00 Link
I thought you'd posted that earlier as well, but I'm wondering if you added it to another thread. The picture looks familiar, and very good it is as well.
Best regards, John
Sry
Posted 30/03/2018 - 23:17 Link
alfpics wrote:
Your photo is a real beauty, and works well in B&W IMO.

Thank you. It did turn out as I was hoping it to, but taking the shot felt like a guessing game.

alfpics wrote:
I have to say I don't find using a screen natural, but then I have been relying on an optical viewfinder for over 40 years

I must admit I wasn't sure I was making the right choice when I bought the K-01 (but it was on closeout and half the price of the K-30). I felt comfortable right away though. I still think an ovf would suit me better but the lcd is generally fine. Evf's on the other hand... definitely not for me.

doingthebobs wrote:
I seem to be involved with the image somehow when using the viewfinder. Just not the same looking at the screen.

I agree. For people shots however I'm sufficiently close that I feel quite involved.

doingthebobs wrote:

It also doesn't help that I need the glasses on for close viewing the screen but the viewfinder adjusts for my eyesight.

I'm near-sighted, so I hold the camera very close to my face and look at the screen over my glasses

johnriley wrote:
I thought you'd posted that earlier as well, but I'm wondering if you added it to another thread. The picture looks familiar, and very good it is as well.

Maybe I did And, thanks
DSP121
Posted 31/03/2018 - 05:20 Link
I like the beauty of this image!
The B&W is making it so enhancing.
razashaikh
Posted 31/03/2018 - 06:00 Link
Blends well with B&W filter.
davidwozhere
Posted 01/04/2018 - 00:38 Link
You certainly posted this earlier - I saw it last night. I too have posted comments only to have them totally disappear. I'm a lot happier now I know it is happening to others. I feared I had said something I should not and it had been deleted!
As to your problem with the screen, can you put a towel over your head and the camera? I do this now and then to see in Live View.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd
i-Berg
Posted 01/04/2018 - 04:39 Link
Best way to use this forum is to take those landscape images and bring them here for C&C. You'll get various perspectives (yours to choose or to lose as you see fit) from the members.

Go back the same locations in different light, then take pics and compare them. See if you can spot why it is that you might prefer one over the rest. Use different camera settings to see how they impact on your landscape images too. Use landscape features in the foreground, middle and background in various combinations. Try a number of perspectives - high, low, off to one side of a feature. Remember to use the 'golden hour' to good effect. Are the morning and evening versions of it the same?

Then - on to post-processing. That's a whole art form in itself...
Sry
Posted 02/04/2018 - 19:39 Link
davidwozhere wrote:

As to your problem with the screen, can you put a towel over your head and the camera? I do this now and then to see in Live View.

Ah, that's not what I meant. I've actually had little to no problem at all with the screen itself, it's simply that looking at it (in a landscape context) I just don't "feel" the view. I don't have that problem for other types of images (concerts, (environmental) portraits, objects... with which I feel much more physically engaged, even through the screen. Probably because I am much closer to them. I'll try draping something over the camera though, it may help to "focus" my mind on the subject.

i-Berg wrote:
You'll get various perspectives

That's always a good thing

i-Berg wrote:
Go back the same locations in different light, (...)

As I said to David, the problem is more about "feeling" the image (which I "see" in my mind's eye) through the screen. A problem I only encounter when doing landscapes. Your suggestions are duly noted nonetheless!

i-Berg wrote:
Then - on to post-processing. That's a whole art form in itself...

...which I very much enjoy!

DSP121 wrote:
I like the beauty of this image!

The B&W is making it so enhancing.

Thank you. I do appreciate colour photograpy, but I have a preference for B&W (and am quite aware of the extended set of skills I'd need to spend time developping if I wanted to delve more deeply into colour) .

razashaikh wrote:
Blends well with B&W filter.

Thanks

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.