Landrover in lanzarote from a few years back

nocturnal

Link Posted 30/04/2017 - 21:51
I seen the other Landrover post and thought I'd post this. I'd love to have one like this, seems everything legacy appeals to me including the lens used to take this photo.

"In a photographic context I don't like the use of the word 'shot' as where I live this word refers to an extreme act of violence and not the beautiful craft of photography"

pschlute

Link Posted 01/05/2017 - 11:25
Ah , they dont make them like that anymore!

What was the lens ?
Peter

My Flickr page

Gwyn

Link Posted 01/05/2017 - 11:49
That looks like the one my son is restoring now! In better condition too - much drier in Lanzagrotty than in soggy Holland of course.
No doubt it was a banana transporter.

nocturnal

Link Posted 02/05/2017 - 02:05
I think it was a 50mm, probably the Pentax-A f1.7, I'll have to check. Maybe a Pentax 28mm, maybe the M28 3.5?

I like the jeep the way it is, people in the Canary Islands are chilled out and don't care about such nonsense. A Landrover is a work vehicle, not a 'Chelsea tractor'.

I seen two today in the mountains, a farmer had one and the other was mountain rescue with the siren on flying up the path. I was going to photograph it but thought not as someone was injured, a coast guard Sea King helicopter lifted them later.

The mountain rescue Landrover was proper impressive as are the volunteers who are always busy on holidays... Respect!
"In a photographic context I don't like the use of the word 'shot' as where I live this word refers to an extreme act of violence and not the beautiful craft of photography"

Gwyn

Link Posted 02/05/2017 - 09:48
My son will not restore his to showroom condition - he goes off roading so there would be little point. It will be made safe and the tin worm will be dealt with. I doubt he'll even give it a paint job. As long as it gets through the Dutch MOT he will be happy. It is for fun not show. It cost him around 800 btw.

It's true on the Canaries these things are still work horses, as they were intended to be.

nocturnal

Link Posted 02/05/2017 - 11:40
Gwyn wrote:
My son will not restore his to showroom condition - he goes off roading so there would be little point. It will be made safe and the tin worm will be dealt with. I doubt he'll even give it a paint job. As long as it gets through the Dutch MOT he will be happy. It is for fun not show. It cost him around 800 btw.

It's true on the Canaries these things are still work horses, as they were intended to be.

Great stuff 😉, that is a great project for your son. I would love to have one but I think parts are expensive, for example a clutch. I drove a Defender 110 once, a work vehicle back in the 90's and the owner said it cost 800 for a new clutch fitted!!!

I read on the news today the climber I mentioned is in critical condition, he fell 50 metres, I descended the same spot last night and it is deadly. So sad to see that happen

Gwyn

Link Posted 02/05/2017 - 19:20
Sorry to hear about the climber. I hope he makes a good recovery.

My son's father-out-law is into all things LR and has lots of contacts for parts, which helps, and a friend of my son is a qualified welder, which also helps! He was like the cat that got the cream when he showed us his LR. AS I said his older brother (son #2) also has one, in need of a new chassis now. Sadly he has very little time to work on it, so it sits at the younger son's out-laws gathering moss. When son #2 married they has an old LR as the wedding car, driven by son #3's girlfriend.

Personally I think they are one of the most uncomfortable vehicles known to man, but that's another story.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.