Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Lalibela rock hewn church

Dr. Mhuni
Posted 27/10/2009 - 17:33 Link
Been going through some old shots from Ethiopia that I didn't get the opportunity to PP properly while I was there. These are of Lalibela. It's a stunning place, worth going to Ethiopia for (not the most obvious holiday destination, I know, but rewarding nevertheless) on its own. It has two complexes of churches carved out of solid rock in ca. 12th century. This particular one, Bet Giorgis (St. George's), stands alone and is probably the most remarkable of them all.

C&C appreciated.

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Pictures taken on a Sunday (hence the worshippers) around dawn with the K20D & a DA17-70.

Looking at them here, I think they're perhaps a bit oversharpened. Still having re-sizing issues. Boy, do I need that new monitor!
Mhuni

500px
Edited by Dr. Mhuni: 27/10/2009 - 17:37
womble
Posted 27/10/2009 - 17:38 Link
Amazing church. I am always taken aback when I see photographs of it. Lovely shots, all three, but I think I prefer the second one as the light gives it a little more contrast and interest than the first, although I like the composition of the first. Let's be honest, I cannot make my mind up but I like them all anyway!

Cheers, Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
paulyrichard
Posted 27/10/2009 - 18:02 Link
I really like the second and third images Mhuni, especially the second one. They appear oversharpened to me too.

Both would look great in B&W too.
"Ifamericatoldthetruthforjustonedayitswholeworldwouldfallapart "
"All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice." - Elliott Erwitt

http://paulyrichard.wordpress.com/
Edited by paulyrichard: 27/10/2009 - 18:13
thoughton
Posted 28/10/2009 - 09:12 Link
The 2nd one is great, I think the windows and the people really add to the sense of scale. For some reason the lady in the first one doesnt

Amazing location. I'd never heard of it before. In fact I didn't know anything about Christianity that far south that long ago.
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
FlickrFluidrPPGStreetPortfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Edited by thoughton: 28/10/2009 - 09:14
goggalee
Posted 28/10/2009 - 09:18 Link
Like them all, especially #1.
Pentax K10D, *istDS
Pentax 18-55mm,50-200mm,Macro 100mm
Takumar-A 28-80mm, Sigma 170-500mm, Soligor Teleconverter x2

Finally!! Sigma 10-20mm

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference.

https://pentaxphotogallery.com/maliskaoosthuizen
Dr. Mhuni
Posted 28/10/2009 - 13:50 Link
Thanks Kris, Paul, Tim, Goggalee.

Paul - I actually tried the third one in B&W as I'd come to the same conclusion. However, in the end I felt it worked much better in colour (though this may have something to do with my rudimentary B&W conversion skills). Hadn't tried with the second as I like the colours, though perhaps I should.

Tim - Amazingly, the Ethiopian church is actually older than that in the UK, dating back to the 4th century. It's an offshoot of the Egyptian Coptic church.
Mhuni

500px
pschlute
Posted 28/10/2009 - 14:14 Link
All of them are wonderful. I dont think they are oversharpened, they just need to be opened in a separate window so they display at proper size.
GivingTree
Posted 28/10/2009 - 14:35 Link
I really like #1. They're all good tho.

I'd be tempted to "clean up" that hill behind the church, i.e. the white areas (rocks?) and there's a bright blue spot at the top of said hill. (and some hot pixels on the right side too?)
I tried it and I think it improves it. I also lifted it a bit in curves and dodged the white robe.
"Just put your eye to the camera and push the button-thingy."
Flickr page:
link
Edited by GivingTree: 28/10/2009 - 14:41
Dr. Mhuni
Posted 29/10/2009 - 12:32 Link
Thanks Peter, Emily.

They're not hot pixels - was wondering if someone would pick up on this. The smaller ones are rocks and the largest (in the distance) is actually another worshipper. I love the triangular relationship that the three worshippers have in this shot - like they're involved in some arcane positional ritual. The problem though is the third one is too small to see properly and does look like a hot pixel, so I probably should remove them!

You other points are good Emily. I'll work on tidying up the b/g.
Mhuni

500px
darlene
Posted 29/10/2009 - 22:56 Link
#1& 2 are very unusally pictures...somthing like bible times...#3 I like the little boy who taking a sceond look.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.