KS-2 Cold weather use/cheap batteries

BruceStrachan

Link Posted 16/11/2015 - 11:48
Hi,
Was out at weekend with my KS-2 and noticed some unusual behavior, occasionally when I changed modes (ie from manual to aperture ) the display still seemed to hold the previous setting, so had the manual meter bar in the av setting.
If you switched off and on camera it was was fine.
Conditions were +6C but with a strong cold wind so real feel was +2 C.
I had been outside for around 3 hours before I started to see this behavior.
Do you think this is down to the cold, or perhaps a combination of cold and a cheap replacement battery ?(8 Euros)
Has anyone else noticed this kind of behavior?
Cheers,

Bruce

johnriley

Link Posted 16/11/2015 - 14:29
2C isn't all that cold, but you could compare the performance with your Pentax battery and your cheap replacement.
Best regards, John

BruceStrachan

Link Posted 16/11/2015 - 14:35
Will give it a go.
Normally have the original in at the start but just forgot to switch after charging.
Cheers,

Bruce

Gwyn

Link Posted 16/11/2015 - 15:36
Your camera wasn't at 2C, it was at 6C, since It can't feel the windchill, which applies only to living things.
6C isn't cold, for batteries.
As John says try it with your Pentax battery.

50mpCMOS

Link Posted 16/11/2015 - 22:01
I've tried the "original" Pentax K3 (most recent model run, although have not yet tried the K3 II in such extreme weather yet) in negative thirty degrees centigrade.

It did not effect the camera body adversely. Some of the lenses were effected, even some of the Pentax WR labeled lenses, yet all continued to work - although controls were starting to show reaction types of signs. SDM motors slowed down significantly, ironically screw drive lenses picked up their pace (??), more efforts to zoom lenses, and also use them in manual focusing.

Although I haven't checked for this link in a while... Anyone else happen to see both video and still pics of the K3 that went to the top of Everest? ...Or the two Pentax's that are at one of the Antartic bases?

On a few side notes... Pentax has a considerable edge on this one, and I'm frankly surprised it isn't used more to the companies advantage. That Pentax has better WR than almost all of the Nikons. More about the K3... Sincerely like the grip and rarely go without it; adds the secondary dedicated battery or off the shelf aa's. Still wish there was some version of a tethered cord for use in the field

Gwyn

Link Posted 16/11/2015 - 22:16
I've used non Pentax batteries at -20C, but they cost more than 8 a pop. Batteries that cheap could well be affected by lowish temperatures I guess.

doingthebobs

Link Posted 16/11/2015 - 23:19
Used my K10 and K5 at much lower temperatures than -6c and have yet to have any problems.
This was with both original and non-Pentax batteries and I'm mean so I don't spend more than needed. I don't think the construction will make much difference as far as cold is concerned, It's the chemistry that affects cold performance.

I believe lithium batteries are inherently better performers at low temperatures than other cells. I also used to use lithium batteries in my SuperA for that reason. Didn't have cold weather problems with that either!
Bob

BruceStrachan

Link Posted 17/11/2015 - 09:54
Maybe there is someit up with the camera...
We're away to have a cold snap so will test thoroughly.
Luckily 2 year warranty with my camera.
Cheers,

Bruce
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.