Kodak film thrown a lifeline

gartmore

Link Posted 21/08/2012 - 09:16
http://www.petapixel.com/2012/08/20/hollywood-throws-kodak-film-a-lifeline-to-co...
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 21/08/2012 - 10:28
Good news.

On top of that, lets all shoot more film!
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

Oso

Link Posted 21/08/2012 - 10:52
Great, I'm a regular user of Kodak

Oso

johnriley

Link Posted 21/08/2012 - 10:56
I still think Kodak make the best films, even though they have discontinued the best of their slide films - Kodachrome.

I suspect Holywood will use film for a while yet as it's future proof in a way that digital formats are not.

Most of the classic TV I buy on DVD has survived only because of 16mm film copies. Even videotapes from the 1970s can be a nightmare and tricky to restore.
Best regards, John

gartmore

Link Posted 21/08/2012 - 11:17
Even entirely digitally originated material like animations are still transferred to exhibition film stock for viewing in cinemas.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

davidaitch

Link Posted 21/08/2012 - 16:30
[quote:3496ace15f="johnriley"]I still think Kodak make the best films, even though they have discontinued the best of their slide films - Kodachrome.

Digging through the frost in our freezer yesterday and I came across, among others,two rolls of K64 dated 2005. Did anyone ever take over processing of Kodachrome or is it only for my local museum.
It came in a container that I have put away at some time or other to keep fresh. Ektachrome 100, Velvia 50, FP4+ and HP5+ so I guess it means a run out for my Super A and MZ5n

johnriley

Link Posted 21/08/2012 - 16:38
The only thing you can do with Kodachrome now is to process it as a black and white film. You will get negatives.

I have a roll that I use in photography talks as a conversation piece.
Best regards, John

steven9761

Link Posted 21/08/2012 - 16:39
@ DAVIDAITCH - try this link. It looks as though the site hasn't been updated for a while, but it might be of some use to you when you shoot off the Kodachrome you found at home.
Last Edited by steven9761 on 21/08/2012 - 16:39

davidaitch

Link Posted 21/08/2012 - 17:12
Thanks, guys.
Steven, Ive had a quick look at your link and didn't get very far, though I will try again.

John, what would you recommend for processing? My favourites used to be Rodinal and Ilfosol but not having bought developer for some time I don't know what's still available.

Regards,
Dave

johnriley

Link Posted 21/08/2012 - 19:25
Dave, I really don't know for sure, having never processed Kodachrome in BW chemicals. I always meant to but never got round to it.

I would start by trying a standard fine grain developer (Kodak D76 or Ilford ID11) and do a "clip test" - develop a short length before doing the rest of the roll.
Best regards, John

davidaitch

Link Posted 22/08/2012 - 11:21
Thanks, John,
I'll give it a try when I remember where I put my tanks and spirals and dishes. Almost sure I've got some unopened ID11 in a cupboard somewhere.
Regards,
Dave.

stevejcoe

Link Posted 23/08/2012 - 09:51
Pentaxophile wrote:
Good news.

On top of that, lets all shoot more film!

I have just returned from a short break in Cornwall. I had some film and processing chemicals that needed using, so I took an LX, Super A together with 24mm and 50mm lenses. I found it a very liberating experience.

I did take a K5 with a DA* 16-50 fitted as a backup, but mainly for interior shots using TAv mode.

Regards - Steve

womble

Link Posted 23/08/2012 - 15:58
I use Kodak Ektar 100 and BW400CN film a great deal so I am more than pleased to see a little good news for the firm. I have a roll or two of Kodachrome 64 I kept as a museum piece. It just so happens I'm wearing my Dwayne's Photo "End of Kodachrome" tee shirt as I write...

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

bforbes

Link Posted 24/08/2012 - 15:50
An update? link
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/

Offertonhatter

Link Posted 25/08/2012 - 20:33
Looks like they have ended their consumer Film too.
Ektar was nice, Portra I have not used but has good feedback.

Looks like I will have to stock up on Ektar now, at least I can still get it processed, unlike the much missed Kodachrome.

So, what is left?
Fuji Reala? - I love it! Great for portraits
Fuji Superia? - No 100ISO anymore and not as good as Ektar
Fuji Velvia? - It divides opinion, but I like it for Landscapes
Fuji Pro160 series - not processed any yet, but I have heard it is good.

As for Kodak's B+W film, sorry, I have always preferred Ilford's range for this. But I am sure T-Max will be missed for some.
Some Cameras
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.