Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

KM Sensor / CCD mark...??

theeggman
Posted 25/03/2010 - 16:20 Link
Hi all,

I've recently taken quite a few shots with my KM on a trip away and on reviewing them back home I seem to have a mark on all of them.....

Its not the lens as it appears when I used either my 18-55 or 75-300 lens so I can only assume its the sensor/CCD glass ?

It doesn't appear to be dust as I see some in some photos as its not a "dot" as such - more a "water mark", perhaps a slight smudge ?

Comment Image

Been looking at the Eclipse (E2?) cleaner and swabs - any suggestions/help much appreciated as to whether you think that would sort the problem ?

Thanks.
Mongoose
Posted 25/03/2010 - 16:28 Link
to get a better look at it, point your camera at the sky or something else bright but uniform, stop the lens right down and take a shot. I often like to set the focus to minimum and use the ceiling. Doesn't matter if the exposure is a bit long, the thing you're trying to image is on the sensor so camera shake wont be an issue.

With the lens stopped right down you'll get a better defined image of the offending whatsamajig. It's probably a short hair or piece of dust.

My first port of call (and so far the only thing I've ever needed) is a decent blower, something like this would do you

http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/653/Giottos-Rocket-Air-Powerful-Air-Blower.html
you don't have to be mad to post here

but it does help
Edited by Mongoose: 25/03/2010 - 16:29
Gwyn
Posted 25/03/2010 - 16:30 Link
Try the Arctic Butterfly brush first before going on to wet cleaners. It will almost certainly do the trick.
You could also consider the Pentax sensor cleaning kit.

Tbh if it were mine I would just Photoshop that out for a while, and only clean the sensor when more appear, or I am sick of cloning it.
bwlchmawr
Posted 25/03/2010 - 19:18 Link
You might try activating the sensor cleaner a few times. On Saturday I noticed several horrid little blotches in my skies which I had to clone out.

I try hard to keep it clean, blowing the rear elements with an air blower before fitting, but I use so many cheap old lenses they must have loads of muck I can't see.

However, the pictures I took today are clear and I haven't put the blower in the camera: too scared of blowing more stuff around!

Best wishes,

Andrew
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference.  All of them can record what you are seeing.  But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
womble
Posted 25/03/2010 - 19:32 Link
It looks like your run-of-the-mill dust spot to me. The Artic Butterfly or the Pentax O-ICK1 sensor cleaning kit will deal with it. I never tire of that part number, someone at Pentax has a sense of humour after all. Meanwhile the heal tool while get rid of it.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
Anvh
Posted 25/03/2010 - 20:11 Link
womble wrote:
the Pentax O-ICK1 sensor cleaning kit will deal with it. I never tire of that part number, someone at Pentax has a sense of humour after all.

I wonder if it has a meaning... maybe it's a conspiracy
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
womble
Posted 25/03/2010 - 20:14 Link
Just say "ohh ick" and curl your nose up and you get the basic idea!
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
Glover
Posted 25/03/2010 - 21:30 Link
i had the same on my k-m too, dont use a blower i did and ended up blowing dust up into the viewfinder, lucky enough was within 28 days of buying and i took it back. i set both my caeras now to shake on startup
Pentax K-5
DA 18-55mm AL WR DAL 50-200mm Tamron 70-300mm, Auto Chinon 28mm 2.8. sigma 30mm 1.4 DC
Metz 48 af-1
Flickr

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.